10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Park and ride 192 buses

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >>

OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
Re: Park and ride 192 buses
1st July 2015 at 2:59PM
Jenny's right - when I asked at the last scrutiny committee meeting, there are no plans to change services.

There are no current plans to charge for parking (and I suspect unlikely that will change) but equally no plans for new services.

0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
muppet
Villager

muppet
1st July 2015 at 3:54PM
Well that's not good enough I'm afraid.

As Oliver indirectly identified, people are going to need some incentive out of the car. Two ways to do this: either make the car less appealing or make public transport more appealing.

This does neither.

The shame of it is that this is exactly the kind of thing that we need. We cannot just keep adding more cars to roads.
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
1st July 2015 at 3:55PM, Edit: 1st July 2015 at 4:30PM by Serenity
This is yet another idea that was sold as a method to reduce traffic in the Grove. But now seems to be no more than a chocolate fireguard. It's such as shame and so disappointing that nothing ever materialises that does what it says it will do - reduce traffic in the Grove.

The only people therefore I can see who might use the new car park are pensioners because they travel free on the buses.

I did kind of know when the scheme was first proposed (all those years ago) that it probably wouldn't work but I hoped that the council had some positive plans afoot.

Why aren't the council getting behind this scheme and supporting it as a way to reduce traffic along the A6. I know it won't happen Oliver but why can't the council provide a free shuttle bus service linked to the train station(like the one their happy to support in Stockport). One that would take people to and from the hospital.

Surely it would then encourage more commuters to use the new car park facilities and would utilise train links as well.

All of which would result in less traffic on the A6 which surely was the point of the council allowing the car park to be built in the first place.

However I'm still of the mind that it's not really going to be used to the benefit the Grove - but more to be used in the future as a depo for the 192 buses. Like Jenny said that not going to build it for nothing.

Norma_Stitts
Supervised

Norma_Stitts
1st July 2015 at 4:04PM
You couldn't pay me to get on a bus full of pensioners.

No thanks, I'll stick with the car.
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
1st July 2015 at 5:24PM
This is within the remit of TfGM and Stagecoach - the Council is very much a junior partner here.

We can lobby via Stockport's representatives onh TfGM for services of that nature but its not a question of the Council's decision.

Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
1st July 2015 at 6:38PM
OliverJohnstone Wrote:

This is within the remit of TfGM and Stagecoach - the Council is very much a junior partner here.

We can lobby via Stockport's representatives onh TfGM for services of that nature but its not a question of the Council's decision.

I know Oliver and I know that this project was nothing to do with you. But I just can't understand why when the plans were passed all those years ago that nothing of this nature was planned.

This was a project heralded as a way to reduce the traffic in the Grove. But it seemed that no one asked the simply question - how?.

Seems yet again that unfortunately this scheme is going to be yet again another example of a missed opportunity to reduce traffic for the Grove.

glenandem
Forum Moderator

glenandem
1st July 2015 at 11:02PM
For me I think it will do nothing for traffic and those traffic lights being fitted will just help slow traffic further as we know.
2 things it will be useful for though is firstly a posible cut through to avoid the traffic that quewes around the lights at rising sun heading up high lane at night and also down into the grove in the morning and secondly looks like a good car park for our traveller friends when they come to town!!!!
Coleman
Forum Moderator

Coleman
2nd July 2015 at 1:23PM
Was it ever touted as a way to reduce traffic?

I think with the volume of traffic that travels down the A6 everyday the car park would need to be considerably bigger to have any impact on that. Assuming of course it worked for that purpose to begin with.

I always thought the main selling point for the park and ride was more that it could put an end to the abandoned cars in the streets around the hospital? After all, anyone who has tried to park at the hospital in the last couple of years will know there are not enough spaces at present, in addition to the extortionate parking charges. Both of which end up with the net result of people dumping their cars anywhere they can find space both in the grounds and on surrounding streets.

Regardless of the intention for it or its eventual use, i would echo what has been said previously. I doubt stagecoach would invest a large sum of money unless it is at least likely to work.
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
2nd July 2015 at 1:40PM, Edit: 2nd July 2015 at 2:07PM by Serenity
OliverJohnstone Wrote:

Jenny's right - when I asked at the last scrutiny committee meeting, there are no plans to change services.

There are no current plans to charge for parking (and I suspect unlikely that will change) but equally no plans for new services.

Back in May 2012 the Manchester Evening News ran the following article about a new car park that was scheduled to be built which would reduce the traffic along the A6 by 6,000 car journeys a month.

It also seemed to suggest that there was going to be 40 new buses put on to support this scheme and to make it more attractive to commuters to use. Have these 40 new buses already been put into operation as I'm a little confused because judging from what you and Jenny seem to say Oliver there's no plans for any such new services.

Oliver might I also ask in what form did Mr Stunnel contact and work with local residents in relation to the congestion along the A6. I live very near the A6 and no councillor/MP has ever got in touch with me to ask for our opinion or feedback. If he means the tick box on the leaflet sent out at campaign time with a little box to make your suggestions in then that's not exactly what I see as working with the public.

I also agree with Coleman that if the scheme was worked properly that there would be a positive knock on effect of reducing local parking issues which results from staff and visitors that use nearby streets as overflow car parks. But that would only happen if the council was to get behind this scheme and make sure that it lives up to its initial promise to reduce traffic.

We believe that the key to reducing congestion and reducing our carbon footprint is to make public transport more attractive and accessible, and there are few better places to demonstrate this than at Hazel Grove."

The plans coincide with 40 new environmentally-friendly buses which are due to run along the 192 service line from 2013. They have cost more than £12m.

Mr Stunell said he would be working with ward councillors and residents over congestion and road safety issues. He added: "I very much welcome the plans for a park-and-ride scheme in Hazel Grove and I’m pleased that these long-standing proposals are moving forward."

OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
2nd July 2015 at 1:49PM
Serenity - I cannot comment on behalf of other Councillors and former MPs and claims they make in leaflets. Remember there is always another agenda - like it or not.

We have had many discussions about my opinion on congestion in Hazel Grove and the solutions I think are most likely to work and are realistic. I am always happy to discuss any new ideas with anyone though.

With the Park and Ride though, I think it is a white elephant unless Stagecoach decide to redesign Bus travel out of that site.
<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >>

Part of..