10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Park and ride 192 buses

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >>

muppet
Villager

muppet
Park and ride 192 buses
12th May 2015 at 5:01PM
I consider myself an expert, spending a lot of time each day waiting for a 192 to Stockport, and particularly one back. I'm hoping that when the park and ride starts then the buses will be more frequent otherwise people are soon going to get as fed up waiting as I do, and go back to their cars.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
thealastairw
Villager

thealastairw
Re: Park and ride 192 buses
14th May 2015 at 6:58PM
I think the issue is Stagecoach's claim there are '18 busses an hour between Manchester and Stockport' This includes the chocolate teapot busses that only go the college, Stepping Hills and Grove busses, so only one in three at best go all the way. I assume the frequency to the park and ride will be increased somehow, hopefully by dropping the chocolate teapots!
Jenny
Villager

Jenny
15th May 2015 at 11:40AM
I suspect that we've already seen the extent of the extra buses that Stagecoach are going to provide with the 191 being extended at peak times (which itself is as useful as a chocolate teapot)
vulcanman
Townsperson

vulcanman
15th May 2015 at 1:33PM
Difficult to imagine that the current level of buses will continue once the park and ride has been built; however, I think you are probably right Jenny.
BlueGrover
Forum Moderator

BlueGrover
1st July 2015 at 8:10AM
Hazel Grove's brand new skate park opens tomorrow. The only problem is that they insist on calling it Park and Ride.
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
1st July 2015 at 12:11PM, Edit: 1st July 2015 at 12:13PM by Serenity
BlueGrover Wrote:

Hazel Grove's brand new skate park opens tomorrow. The only problem is that they insist on calling it Park and Ride.

I'd like to think that the new car park would make some difference in reducing the traffic flowing through the Grove by introducing a park and ride scheme.

I wonder if Oliver/Julian or Kevin know how and where they are actually promoting the merits of parking there. And how the scheme works?

BlueGrover
Forum Moderator

BlueGrover
1st July 2015 at 1:05PM
Serenity Wrote:

BlueGrover Wrote:

I'd like to think that the new car park would make some difference in reducing the traffic flowing through the Grove by introducing a park and ride scheme.

I wonder if Oliver/Julian or Kevin know how and where they are actually promoting the merits of parking there. And how the scheme works?

I totally agree Serenity. I'd love a quieter Grove, but its a huge area for a potential white elephant. Fingers crossed eh?
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
1st July 2015 at 1:07PM
I am very sceptical that it will have much impact on congestion. Why would anyone park their simply to ride on a 192 when they would otherwise drive to Stockport or Manchester in the comfort of their own car? I don't buy the argument that folks will be abandoning their cars in droves for this.

There is a benefit I do see in that it could provide benefits to anyone attending the hospital who doesn't wish to pay the punitive car parking charges at Stepping Hill.
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
1st July 2015 at 1:55PM, Edit: 1st July 2015 at 2:02PM by Serenity
OliverJohnstone Wrote:

I am very sceptical that it will have much impact on congestion. Why would anyone park their simply to ride on a 192 when they would otherwise drive to Stockport or Manchester in the comfort of their own car? I don't buy the argument that folks will be abandoning their cars in droves for this.

There is a benefit I do see in that it could provide benefits to anyone attending the hospital who doesn't wish to pay the punitive car parking charges at Stepping Hill.

I think that's the best way forward Oliver. Especially if the hospital could promote the service in a positive light and if they could get their staff on-board to use it as well.

Then I think it might have a good chance of being a real success in reducing some of the traffic that goes to the hospital.

But I'm not so sure Oliver that the hospital would want to get on board as it would mean them losing some of their valuable income from patient and staff car parking fees.

But if they could then quite a lot of people might be tempted to use the service to avoid the high parking fees that the hospital charge. Especially those that to the hospital from that end of the Grove.

But and it's a big but Oliver - I feel it would only work if the car park and bus service was free and buses ran often. Then it might have a really good chance of reducing traffic coming through the Grove. Which when all said and done Oliver was it's original intent in being built.

Jenny
Villager

Jenny
1st July 2015 at 2:25PM
Serenity Wrote:

I feel it would only work if the car park and bus service was free and buses ran often. Then it might have a really good chance of reducing traffic coming through the Grove. Which when all said and done Oliver was it's original intent in being built.

I don't believe there are going to be any extra buses for this. There is currently a 192 every 10 mins to Stockport and Manchester, and a 374 every half hour to Stepping Hill. I also believe that parking will be free but standard bus fares apply.

As I've said elsewhere, a big company like Stagecoach wouldn't be spending all the money on it if they saw it as too risky, maybe they know something we don't?
<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >>

Part of..