A Suburb in Stockport

10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Neville St Permit Parking Questionnaires

<< 1 2 >>

OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
Neville St Permit Parking Questionnaires
30th November 2015 at 11:36PM, Edit: 30th November 2015 at 11:36PM by OliverJohnstone
To anyone who lives on Neville Street, you should be due to receive a questionnaire from the Council this week regarding the provision of a permit parking scheme.

Please do ensure you respond and if you have any issues, please do contact me on Cllr.oliver.johnstone@stockport.gov.uk.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
Re: Neville St Permit Parking Questionnaires
1st December 2015 at 5:51AM, Edit: 1st December 2015 at 7:07AM by Serenity
OliverJohnstone Wrote:

To anyone who lives on Neville Street, you should be due to receive a questionnaire from the Council this week regarding the provision of a permit parking scheme.

Please do ensure you respond and if you have any issues, please do contact me on Cllr.oliver.johnstone@stockport.gov.uk.

Oliver might I ask will Stanley Ave be sent the questionnaire as well? As you can appreciate Oliver any street in this particular area has the same parking concerns that Neville Road has. Perhaps these side streets more so as they are right next door to ASDA and have no driveways for off road parking. So what do they do if other streets (such as Neville Road) get parking for residents only and they don't. Where can they then park?

Several years ago the whole area (including Stanley Ave, Gordan Ave, Brook Ave and Mount Pleasant) did get a questionnaire sent to them from council regarding the parking issues in the area. As at the time the council were looking to introduce a parking for residents only zone. This was a great idea and one which would have completely stopped the problem altogether. But unfortunately this idea got squashed by the council due to not enough residents in the side streets being in favour of the scheme. So what we eventually ended up with was a partial scheme, which helps with the parking issues but unfortunately doesn't do nothing to stop the motorists from constantly circling the area looking for those available parking spaces that were not included in the scheme. And as you can imagine since that first questionnaire the parking problems in the area has gotten so much worse and the traffic flow has increased dramatically.

So perhaps Oliver might I suggest that it might be only fair if the council was to include these side streets in their initial consultation plans this time around. And perhaps to re-consider a parking for residents only zone and not just a partial scheme that only goes half way to resolving the problem.

Thanks for your help though Oliver it's very much appreciated.
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
1st December 2015 at 8:52AM
When the petition was submitted, it was for Neville Street alone. We discussed the possibility of sending questionnaires at this stage to Gordon and Stanley but if residents one those roads opposed it, it would also jeopardise the Neville Street scheme.

As a result we decided to press on with Neville and if there is appetite, work towards the same on Stanley and Gordon.

If you or someone you know lives on either of these roads, I am more than happy to work with them to do the same.
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
1st December 2015 at 10:11AM
OliverJohnstone Wrote:

When the petition was submitted, it was for Neville Street alone. We discussed the possibility of sending questionnaires at this stage to Gordon and Stanley but if residents one those roads opposed it, it would also jeopardise the Neville Street scheme.

As a result we decided to press on with Neville and if there is appetite, work towards the same on Stanley and Gordon.

If you or someone you know lives on either of these roads, I am more than happy to work with them to do the same.

Ok Oliver I quite understand. I just wish that the council realised that if they engaged with all the residents now (by sending each street a questionnaire)that they would save themselves time and money in the long run by not having to keep repeating the exercise.

Sorry Oliver but I'm not sure how sending the other streets the questionnaire now might jeopardise Neville Road's petition, as I thought that the council only consider each petition on a one to one basis. I can understand that if an objection is raised that it might delay the process. But I don't think if the majority want it that it would jeopardise them eventually getting the scheme.

The sad thing is that whilst the little side streets probably don't think that they have such a problem at the moment that once Neville Road hopefully gets the scheme it just pushes the problem around the corner onto their streets - and so it goes on and on and unfortunately trying to resolve the problem is like how long is a piece of string. But bit by bit we'll hopefully eventually all get there.

I recently read somewhere that there is a bill being raised in parliament to make parking in any NHS hospitals in England free the way it is in Scotland. I wonder if that would help our situation. At first I thought it might but now I'm not so sure due to the lack of parking spaces at the hospital.

Thanks Oliver.
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
1st December 2015 at 10:25AM
If they consulted on one scheme covering Stanley and Gordon along with Neville and we Stanley and Gordon both rejected the proposal, it would mean we could not proceed with Neville Street. The scheme would be viewed as one.

As I said, if there is anyone who is interested in starting a petition, I am happy to assist. There is a mandatory requirement for this before anything can be initiated.
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
1st December 2015 at 11:26AM
OliverJohnstone Wrote:

If they consulted on one scheme covering Stanley and Gordon along with Neville and we Stanley and Gordon both rejected the proposal, it would mean we could not proceed with Neville Street. The scheme would be viewed as one.

As I said, if there is anyone who is interested in starting a petition, I am happy to assist. There is a mandatory requirement for this before anything can be initiated.

Lets see how it goes Oliver. But unfortunately I still feel that it's just pushing the problem around. Until all of the area falls within a restricted parking zone the problem will only continue. But I can appreciate that not all residents might not want or feel that they need such a scheme.

However on the road were I live the council did leave some available spaces (not within the scheme) on request supposedly from the residents as extra available spaces for those residents who didn't really want to pay for the privilege to be able to park on the road where they live. But by 8am until about 5pm all these so-called available places have been taken up by hospital staff. It's exactly the same problem at the Green Lane recreational car park - no place to park by 8am until 5. You'll even find staff getting their even earlier and sitting eating their breakfast (hence the litter trail) just so that they'd be sure to get a free parking space. Oliver it's meant to be a recreational ground not an overflow car park.

I do however take your point about if that car park had a barrier that the problem would move back to the nearby streets. But isn't that the problem in general a lack of parking spaces for staff and visitors forcing them to look for alternatives.

Over the years our area has become just one big overflow car park for hospital staff and visitors. A problem that has increased significantly with the growth of the hospital. It's not a problem that the residents have brought about but one that we now have to pay to rectify.

So forgive me for not exactly having much faith in the councils protocol Oliver or it's fairness.

OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
1st December 2015 at 11:47AM
Take your point Serenity and I agree it makes sense to have the wider area included. I think it is more an issue of practicality than ideal situation here.

Regarding the Green Lane car park - we are still having a discussion. I'm sure on balance local residents would rather have 30 odd less parking spaces than drugs, loud music and ASB outside their properties but it is a case of whether a barrier would solve that.

I will keep the forum updated though.
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
1st December 2015 at 11:55AM
OliverJohnstone Wrote:

Take your point Serenity and I agree it makes sense to have the wider area included. I think it is more an issue of practicality than ideal situation here.

Regarding the Green Lane car park - we are still having a discussion. I'm sure on balance local residents would rather have 30 odd less parking spaces than drugs, loud music and ASB outside their properties but it is a case of whether a barrier would solve that.

I will keep the forum updated though.

I appreciate what you are saying Oliver.

Perhaps a barrier used after 6pm might stop the cars from getting onto the car park late on at night which in turn might would stop the loud music and some of the ASB that an empty car park attracts. Good luck Oliver will wait to hear the outcome.
1 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
23rd January 2016 at 9:04AM
Hi Oliver can you tell me if any progress has been made on behalf of the residents of Neville Street joining the present parking for residents only scheme. As I believe that the residents of Mount Pleasant have now been told that they are to be included in the areas parking scheme.
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
25th January 2016 at 9:12AM
Hi Serenity - yes the consultation has shown a clear majority in favour so they will be added to the scheme in due course.

I will keep you posted as and when it will be introduced.

I am now looking with Cllr Lewis-Booth to add Gordon & Stanley to the same scheme if approved via consultation.
<< 1 2 >>

Part of..