A Suburb in Stockport

10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Narrowing the A6?

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >>

Re: Narrowing the A6?
21st July 2014 at 9:58PM
BlueGrover Wrote:

Blue_Grovers_Henchman Wrote:

[QUOTE=spectrum]According to this article there were a number of recommendations outlined in the study, maybe Oliver can let us know what the other ideas are?

Deputy council leader Iain Roberts said: “There were a number of ideas, including taking the A6 down to three lanes.

MEN Article

Apperently Spectrum our locals reps were quoted as follows - Tory Hazel Grove councillor William Wragg said: “I am pleased that common sense appears to have prevailed. This could have had a devastating effect on Hazel Grove – increased congestion, more pollution and a threat to local business. I’m glad this barmy plan has been dropped.”

Hazel Grove MP Sir Andrew Stunell said: “The idea seems to have been dreamt up behind the scenes by officers on Cheshire East and Stockport councils.

“The Lib Dems in Hazel Grove spoke out against it immediately and forced the council to drop the plans.”

Maybe we should invite William, Oliver, Andrew and Kevin to a meeting. Maybe we should have a 'round the table' discussion with local people present, because I'm starting to worry that they aren't actually "in touch" with the views of the local people they represent.

I'm sure Blue Grover and a few others would welcome some open discussion with our MP and Cllrs?

[/QUOTE Only if I can wear my Lone Ranger mask to hide my true identity.

LOL you and me both!

Seriously, do you think they are all big enough to get in a room together?
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
21st July 2014 at 11:48PM
I think we need to check a few assertions that are being made here.

Firstly, to be against the narrowing of the A6 means that I am in touch with the overwhelming majority of those that I represent. Very few people have expressed the wish to me that the A6 should be narrowed.

They understand, like me, that you do not solve a congestion problem by reducing available road space.

Secondly, your local reps are united on this issue. No narrowing of the A6 and support for the 2nd section of the bypass.

I am always happy to meet anyone and argue my case.

However, if we are going to have a discussion about these issues, let's not get carried away with the rhetoric and politician bashing.

P.s the supposed spam I put out - can you imagine the uproar on this forum if I did not produce these newsletters?
1 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
22nd July 2014 at 5:24AM, Edit: 22nd July 2014 at 5:25AM by Serenity
Thanks again for your response Oliver. I did read the article on the narrowing of the A6 and your keeping in touch leaflet. Unfortunately neither outlined any of the merits that such a scheme would bring to the Grove, neither pointed out any of the positives that everybody's been talking about. It seemed to me to have been quite a one sided viewpoint on the subject, which was a real shame as it never really give the idea a chance to get up off the ground and to have a real discussion/vote on it.

However I don't think that you need to 'argue your case' as we're not really looking for an argument Oliver just looking for ways to try and resolve the traffic problem in the Grove. If there was an argument that should have been had perhaps it was the one that should have asked why was the bypass not being completed on the grounds of the pollution figures alone. All set to increase once the new houses estates have been built.

I think whichever way you look at it Oliver that some of the suggestions that many have put forward on this forum are really excellent ideas that you might want to consider taking to the table at one of your next meetings. Even if they're met with a negative response there new ideas and there nothing else in the pipeline at moment from the sound of it.

Be brave Oliver. Think outside the box and don't wait for things to happen - make them happen.

22nd July 2014 at 6:39AM
OliverJohnstone Wrote:

I think we need to check a few assertions that are being made here.

Firstly, to be against the narrowing of the A6 means that I am in touch with the overwhelming majority of those that I represent. Very few people have expressed the wish to me that the A6 should be narrowed.

Hang on a second Oliver, the proposal was published in the MEN on the 9th April, Blue Grover reproduced it here the next day and within 5 hours of that, you condemned the idea. Exactly how much consultation were you able to do within that time to be in touch with 'the overwhelming majority' of those people you represent?

It seems to me that you condemned the idea before actually consulting anyone...?

OliverJohnstone Wrote:

They understand, like me, that you do not solve a congestion problem by reducing available road space.

I think you're wrong. If the A6 was completely shut between the Rising Sun and Stepping Hill lights, trust me when I tell you the congestion along the A6 in the Grove would no longer exist. That proposal is unworkable, of course, as it would almost certainly cause as many problems as it solved - but you shouldn't say that reducing capacity could not possibly work because clearly it could!

There is no politician bashing Oliver, just a few people who don't agree with your view point. And don't be surprised that local people want to explore every possibility that brings about improvement over the current overwhelming situation. There is nothing wrong with you hanging onto the panacea of a by-pass all the way to Stockport, but with the likelihood of that being extremely remote any time soon, what is the 'Plan B'. What are you proposing, or even in support of in the meantime Oliver?

Here's another one for you to condemn before actually thinking it through - how about a congestion charge for using the A6 between Simpsons bend and Stepping Hill lights? Again this would only be introduced after the Airport link is built, it would be free to local residents and only 'out of towners' would have to pay, or maybe only goods vehicles over 3.5 tons would have to pay, or maybe some other variation which discourages the volume of non local traffic. And, when that results in substantially less traffic in Hazel Grove, perhaps then you would be a little more open to the prospect of narrowing the road and widening the pavements, thus giving local business the chance to breath! Who knows, maybe the money generated from the tolls could be invested into local community orientated projects... such as the Carnival, a Christmas Market and...???

Coleman
Forum Moderator

Coleman
22nd July 2014 at 12:34PM
I must admit i also wonder how much consulting with locals Oliver could have done, not just because of the times scales (Good Point) but also the fact that to my knowledge no actual plans or figures outlining the proposal have been published (i may be wrong), i certainly haven't seen any.

On first glance, giving no thought to how it could be implemented the idea of narrowing the a6 does sound barmy, that was my initial reaction to the idea. But as i think we have demonstrated in this thread, the idea has got some merit and although i admit, if looked at in some great detail with the data need, it may still turn out to be a bad plan. But i think you can at least say with some certainty that it is not the 'crazy idea' our councillors so quickly branded it as.

I do wonder if the quick dismissing of the proposal, was more to do with people attempting to gain points from being very loud and fast in stopping what they think the public will immediately call a stupid idea?

Lets face it, unless its explained and demonstrated to the public, the majority are going to go straight to "what a stupid idea" so it's an easy target for the "i'm here for you" grin types to gain a little good will!
22nd July 2014 at 1:30PM
Coleman Wrote:

I do wonder if the quick dismissing of the proposal, was more to do with people attempting to gain points from being very loud and fast in stopping what they think the public will immediately call a stupid idea?

A thought I had also had Coleman.
22nd July 2014 at 7:58PM
Lots of questions, and only Oliver making any effort to actually reply which is a shame.

Id’ very much welcome your response to my suggestions and the numerous suggestions of others Oliver.

Also, instead of congestion charging, another idea (probably much lower cost) would be to put weight restrictions in place at Simspons bend and say Stepping Hill lights, to keep the heavy goods out and push them onto the Airport Link road. It could easily be ‘policed’ using ANPR and facilities instigated to allow legitimate heavy goods deliveries/usage to local business without penalty. Thoughts?
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
23rd July 2014 at 1:18PM
There are definitely some interesting ideas being touted here.

It is quite difficult to respond to all points in detail.

The report was commissioned and considered by the Council Executive - this as you may remember was before my election but I believe it was reviewed by the EED scrutiny committee (of which I am now a member).

I can find out more if you wish.

A congestion charge is an interesting idea - how you would police who pays and who does not would concern me.

Moreover, as seen with London congestion charge schemes do not work as effectively at reducing congestion as they should in theory. I would wager that the impact would be felt by those who live just outside whatever free-zone there is and the lorries would continue to use it.

More to follow - due in for a meeting!
vulcanman
Townsperson

vulcanman
23rd July 2014 at 1:39PM
It would be nice to hear the latest from our Mayor on this ... Mr Hogg??
cooper120
Villager

cooper120
28th July 2014 at 12:57PM
vulcanman Wrote:

It would be nice to hear the latest from our Mayor on this ... Mr Hogg??

I don't think they mayor realistically has time to go on every forum in his remit to respond to queries. If you actually want a response from him I would use the official methods.

The same with any other parties or whatever. They reply on here out of courtesy.
<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >>

Part of..

Tagged With..