10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Narrowing the A6?

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >>

spectrum
Villager

spectrum
Re: Narrowing the A6?
21st July 2014 at 12:26PM, Edit: 21st July 2014 at 12:28PM by spectrum
According to this article there were a number of recommendations outlined in the study, maybe Oliver can let us know what the other ideas are?

Deputy council leader Iain Roberts said: “There were a number of ideas, including taking the A6 down to three lanes.

MEN Article
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
21st July 2014 at 12:42PM
sam39 Wrote:

If Hazel Grove is restricted even further where does this traffic go?

Down the new road to the Airport, and away from Hazel Grove.
spectrum
Villager

spectrum
21st July 2014 at 1:43PM, Edit: 21st July 2014 at 1:46PM by spectrum
Blue_Grovers_Henchman Wrote:

sam39 Wrote:

If Hazel Grove is restricted even further where does this traffic go?

Down the new road to the Airport, and away from Hazel Grove.

According to the MEN article which I assume is based on traffic modelling data in the study,

"There would be a single lane in each direction with a shared third lane for right turns with traffic ‘displaced’ onto nearby smaller roads - Jacksons Lane and Marple Road."

Based on the traffic modelling for the relief road which seemed to change week by week, that probably doesn't mean much though.
Coleman
Forum Moderator

Coleman
21st July 2014 at 2:10PM

The thing is Coleman, with the extra space created, a number of short term parking bays could be created for the Modern Aids deliveries along with allowing other short term parking areas through the village.

That could certainly work, There would have to be bus laybys too otherwise each stop would cause the entire flow to stop. I wonder if 1 lane in any direction with no obstructions would allow as much traffic to flow as two lanes which suffer partial blockages at several points down it's length? My guess would be that it wouldn't be far off. Especially if the traffic lights were sorted out and obstructions outside of the Grove were sorted.
Jenny
Villager

Jenny
21st July 2014 at 2:19PM
Coleman Wrote:

The thing is Coleman, with the extra space created, a number of short term parking bays could be created for the Modern Aids deliveries along with allowing other short term parking areas through the village.

That could certainly work, There would have to be bus laybys too otherwise each stop would cause the entire flow to stop. I wonder if 1 lane in any direction with no obstructions would allow as much traffic to flow as two lanes which suffer partial blockages at several points down it's length? My guess would be that it wouldn't be far off. Especially if the traffic lights were sorted out and obstructions outside of the Grove were sorted.

A single lane with significantly reduced interruptions would, in my opinion flow as well as (if not better than) two regularly obstructed lanes. This will also have a positive impact on traffic further down the A6 towards Stockport as flow would be a little more regulated. Some traffic will start to avoid the area (e.g. by taking the Airport route and heading down the A34, which is a more appropriate route into Manchester anyway) which will also have a positive impact.

Less lanes don't always mean more traffic, so long as the implementation is done right.
sam39
Villager

sam39
21st July 2014 at 2:31PM
No doubt some traffic from the south will be diverted onto the new relief road. But, traffic from the north is not going to the airport - it is going south to the Peak or to Macclesfield, Leek etc. Is this traffic supposed to be diverted via Jacksons Lane to the Fiveways junction thence onto Macclesfield Rd? That would cause fun at the new junction. Or via Offerton Rd back along Torkington Rd to rejoin the A6? I come back to my point - the A6 is very busy because it is the only north/south route. This traffic has no other way.
glenandem
Forum Moderator

glenandem
21st July 2014 at 6:45PM
These all sound like nice ideas to improve the grove and I'd love to see something like poynton as it's so nice up there now and all the shops have some nice shops not like what we have have, curry houses phone shops and more takeaways, it's getting like levenshulme every day lol
I just can't see anything like that ever happening and even when the airport relief rd gets built not everyone will want to head that way, let's not forgot that even though some will want to use the new road but looking at it, there's more traffic lights every so often on the new road rather than roundabouts so surely that will slow traffic down as we know and the a34 isn't exactly flowing in parts, in fact I prefer coming home down the a6 at night as I find it a tad quicker only a tad though!!!
As far as I'm aware Simpsons bend will still be getting closed off on the current section of road now as it will be a single bus lane bridge that goes over the new road and the current a6 road will run behind my house in the field curving off into the field at hazel grove gold club entrance and eventually rejoining current a6 just past Thai fusion and as the old part will just be for buses and residents, if this has now changed I'd be interested to hear off anyone?
21st July 2014 at 7:46PM
spectrum Wrote:

According to this article there were a number of recommendations outlined in the study, maybe Oliver can let us know what the other ideas are?

Deputy council leader Iain Roberts said: “There were a number of ideas, including taking the A6 down to three lanes.

MEN Article

Apperently Spectrum our locals reps were quoted as follows - Tory Hazel Grove councillor William Wragg said: “I am pleased that common sense appears to have prevailed. This could have had a devastating effect on Hazel Grove – increased congestion, more pollution and a threat to local business. I’m glad this barmy plan has been dropped.”

Hazel Grove MP Sir Andrew Stunell said: “The idea seems to have been dreamt up behind the scenes by officers on Cheshire East and Stockport councils.

“The Lib Dems in Hazel Grove spoke out against it immediately and forced the council to drop the plans.”

Maybe we should invite William, Oliver, Andrew and Kevin to a meeting. Maybe we should have a 'round the table' discussion with local people present, because I'm starting to worry that they aren't actually "in touch" with the views of the local people they represent.

I'm sure Blue Grover and a few others would welcome some open discussion with our MP and Cllrs?

slim
Townsperson

slim
21st July 2014 at 8:36PM
I think it could work but only if copious amounts of money where thrown at it ?
And that's not going to happen so back to reality which means were stuck with traffic congestion ?
BlueGrover
Forum Moderator

BlueGrover
21st July 2014 at 9:48PM

[QUOTE=spectrum]According to this article there were a number of recommendations outlined in the study, maybe Oliver can let us know what the other ideas are?

MEN Article

Apperently Spectrum our locals reps were quoted as follows - Tory Hazel Grove councillor William Wragg said: “I am pleased that common sense appears to have prevailed. This could have had a devastating effect on Hazel Grove – increased congestion, more pollution and a threat to local business. I’m glad this barmy plan has been dropped.”

Hazel Grove MP Sir Andrew Stunell said: “The idea seems to have been dreamt up behind the scenes by officers on Cheshire East and Stockport councils.

“The Lib Dems in Hazel Grove spoke out against it immediately and forced the council to drop the plans.”

Maybe we should invite William, Oliver, Andrew and Kevin to a meeting. Maybe we should have a 'round the table' discussion with local people present, because I'm starting to worry that they aren't actually "in touch" with the views of the local people they represent.

I'm sure Blue Grover and a few others would welcome some open discussion with our MP and Cllrs?

[/QUOTE Only if I can wear my Lone Ranger mask to hide my true identity.
<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >>

Part of..

Tagged With..