10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Narrowing the A6?

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >>

glenandem
Forum Moderator

glenandem
Re: Narrowing the A6?
19th July 2014 at 4:05PM
When you say the bypass won't go ahead, do you mean the whole thing as I recieved a letter from Stockport council a few weeks ago saying they have approved just the section that brings more traffic into the grove from airport way, how they allowed that section to be built knowing the traffic levels expected shocks me and what's worse is the cllr's ind our mayor backed it up with the idea that if we get this section the other half will come, can't see it myself with the costs of it and I think it's only going to make matters worse?
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
20th July 2014 at 8:06PM, Edit: 20th July 2014 at 8:10PM by Blue_Grovers_Henchman
I'm interested to know why Oliver was against the reduction of lanes on the A6, before consulting with local residents - do you think asking local people what they thought of the idea would have been more appropriate in your new role Oliver?

Aside from that, I stand my suggestion that road users will always take the easiest option of getting from one place to another. When the new road from Simpsons bend to the Airport is built, we could find ourselves with the 'out of the area' A6 traffic continuing through Hazel Grove, vs taking the new by-pass to get to the M56, which gives Hazel Grove 'no relief' at all. Reduce the A6 down to 3 or even 2 lanes, and that is likely to put the out of the area traffic off the idea of continuing to use the A6 through the Grove, and send them down the by-pass, which is what Hazel Grove desperately needs.

I'm in total agreement that a true solution lies in the A6 by-pass all the way to Bredbury, but doubt that is ever likely to happen. And, I don't hear our Conservative MP in waiting (William) speaking in support of it either (no doubt as it wouldn't get you many votes from the nimbys in Romiley et al - William?.

Whilst a new road from Hazel Grove to Bredbury would be great, the big thing for me is not the road as such, but the huge and prosperous benefits a reduction in traffic would bring our community. I have lived in Hazel Grove for 30 years on and off, and since my earliest memories of the early 70's, the demise of the shopping area is heart-rending. Yes the global high street has evolved massively since the proliferation of small retailers of the 70's, but the demise of Hazel Grove's 'high street' is far far greater than average - just look at our neighbouring villages of Marple and Bramhall for good examples of a broad mixture of retailers. Why? Well you only have to ask yourself if shopping with your family within a few inches of thundering lorries passing you is an attractive proposition. And until the pavements are widened that situation will not change, and to widen the pavements you have to narrow the road. Until the road is narrowed (or the A6 by-pass is built) nothing of any significance or lasting value will take place. And no improvement will I fear, mean the continuing slide of retail to the point where the only 'retail' will be charity shops and even more takeaways or just empty units boarded up. Fast food outlets and charity shops, in dominance, offer no sustainability nor benefit for local jobs / the local community.

Now take a look at Poynton. Not three miles from the Civic Hall is the bustling and thriving shopping centre of Poynton. I can hear the doubters say the demographics of Poynton are totally different and yes they are, but that makes diddly squat difference to attracting locals, to local shops. The difference for me is that Poynton have taken effective steps to discourage non local traffic. The Roundels have slowed all traffic to a crawl and the widened pavements have made it safe for people to go about their business, spending their hard earned in local businesses. And the comparison in Hazel Grove is what? Well its where you literally risk your life walking along the narrow pavements.

Also, whilst I think the idea has now been shelved, I believe one of the plans for the Hazel Grove to Airport road was to include the complete closure of the A6 at Simpsons bend, I assume to force traffic away from the Grove down the new road. Shame that the latest plans don't show that anymore. But ask yourself this, after the relief road is built, if the A6 was shut at the Rising Sun, and at the same time the A6 end of Threaphurst Lane was closed, along with Chester Road at the junction with Dean lane and also preventing access to cut through routes of Haddon, Rutland and Cavendish Roads, the reduction in traffic would be immense. Clearly the aforementioned would not work in reality as it would cause other problems, but the point which needs to made, is that taking away the majority of traffic through Hazel Grove (which is out of the area traffic) would make a huge positive impact. And until the Hazel Grove to Bredbury bypass is built, the overwhelming volume of traffic will never stop. Until you make it either very difficult for out of area traffic to 'use' our village, or you make it easier / provide a route of less resistance for them to go a different way (or a combination of the two), Hazel Grove will continue to be exploited by out of towners for the passage it offers to get to and from Stockport.

I for one am extremely saddened to see our village, quite frankly, on its a**e. This should be the number one priority for anyone with any political clout to sort. They should forget which political side they shout for and put party politics to one side for once. They should be united on this, standing shoulder to shoulder to get a better deal for the Grove before it becomes a total and utter lost cause.

So my gauntlet throwing is as follows:-

Kevin - make a difference Hazel Grove will remember you for before you retire. You've got the benefit of experience.

Oliver - you've just been given the support to make a difference. If there is one thing which shows in your interaction on this forum and your letter box spam, is that you really seem to be community orientated. Fixing pot holes is simply not enough.

William - don't think we are stupid enough to vote for you at the general election if you table tepid manifesto promises. The single dominant issue that should stretch way and above anything else William, is putting the heart back into the Grove, and to do that, the huge volumes of traffic have to stop.
1 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
BlueGrover
Forum Moderator

BlueGrover
20th July 2014 at 10:35PM
Blue_Grovers_Henchman Wrote:

I'm interested to know why Oliver was against the reduction of lanes on the A6, before consulting with local residents - do you think asking local people what they thought of the idea would have been more appropriate in your new role Oliver?

Aside from that, I stand my suggestion that road users will always take the easiest option of getting from one place to another. When the new road from Simpsons bend to the Airport is built, we could find ourselves with the 'out of the area' A6 traffic continuing through Hazel Grove, vs taking the new by-pass to get to the M56, which gives Hazel Grove 'no relief' at all. Reduce the A6 down to 3 or even 2 lanes, and that is likely to put the out of the area traffic off the idea of continuing to use the A6 through the Grove, and send them down the by-pass, which is what Hazel Grove desperately needs.

I'm in total agreement that a true solution lies in the A6 by-pass all the way to Bredbury, but doubt that is ever likely to happen. And, I don't hear our Conservative MP in waiting (William) speaking in support of it either (no doubt as it wouldn't get you many votes from the nimbys in Romiley et al - William?.

Whilst a new road from Hazel Grove to Bredbury would be great, the big thing for me is not the road as such, but the huge and prosperous benefits a reduction in traffic would bring our community. I have lived in Hazel Grove for 30 years on and off, and since my earliest memories of the early 70's, the demise of the shopping area is heart-rending. Yes the global high street has evolved massively since the proliferation of small retailers of the 70's, but the demise of Hazel Grove's 'high street' is far far greater than average - just look at our neighbouring villages of Marple and Bramhall for good examples of a broad mixture of retailers. Why? Well you only have to ask yourself if shopping with your family within a few inches of thundering lorries passing you is an attractive proposition. And until the pavements are widened that situation will not change, and to widen the pavements you have to narrow the road. Until the road is narrowed (or the A6 by-pass is built) nothing of any significance or lasting value will take place. And no improvement will I fear, mean the continuing slide of retail to the point where the only 'retail' will be charity shops and even more takeaways or just empty units boarded up. Fast food outlets and charity shops, in dominance, offer no sustainability nor benefit for local jobs / the local community.

Now take a look at Poynton. Not three miles from the Civic Hall is the bustling and thriving shopping centre of Poynton. I can hear the doubters say the demographics of Poynton are totally different and yes they are, but that makes diddly squat difference to attracting locals, to local shops. The difference for me is that Poynton have taken effective steps to discourage non local traffic. The Roundels have slowed all traffic to a crawl and the widened pavements have made it safe for people to go about their business, spending their hard earned in local businesses. And the comparison in Hazel Grove is what? Well its where you literally risk your life walking along the narrow pavements.

Also, whilst I think the idea has now been shelved, I believe one of the plans for the Hazel Grove to Airport road was to include the complete closure of the A6 at Simpsons bend, I assume to force traffic away from the Grove down the new road. Shame that the latest plans don't show that anymore. But ask yourself this, after the relief road is built, if the A6 was shut at the Rising Sun, and at the same time the A6 end of Threaphurst Lane was closed, along with Chester Road at the junction with Dean lane and also preventing access to cut through routes of Haddon, Rutland and Cavendish Roads, the reduction in traffic would be immense. Clearly the aforementioned would not work in reality as it would cause other problems, but the point which needs to made, is that taking away the majority of traffic through Hazel Grove (which is out of the area traffic) would make a huge positive impact. And until the Hazel Grove to Bredbury bypass is built, the overwhelming volume of traffic will never stop. Until you make it either very difficult for out of area traffic to 'use' our village, or you make it easier / provide a route of less resistance for them to go a different way (or a combination of the two), Hazel Grove will continue to be exploited by out of towners for the passage it offers to get to and from Stockport.

I for one am extremely saddened to see our village, quite frankly, on its a**e. This should be the number one priority for anyone with any political clout to sort. They should forget which political side they shout for and put party politics to one side for once. They should be united on this, standing shoulder to shoulder to get a better deal for the Grove before it becomes a total and utter lost cause.

Kevin - make a difference Hazel Grove will remember you for before you retire. You've got the benefit of experience.

Oliver - you've just been given the support to make a difference. If there is one thing which shows in your interaction on this forum and your letter box spam, is that you really seem to be community orientated. Fixing pot holes is simply not enough.

William - don't think we are stupid enough to vote for you at the general election if you table tepid manifesto promises. The single dominant issue that should stretch way and above anything else William, is putting the heart back into the Grove, and to do that, the huge volumes of traffic have to stop.
Well, my little henchperson, I couldn't have put it better myself!
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
21st July 2014 at 7:02AM
Totally with you Henchmen. I thought that narrowing the A6 was an excellent idea but in my opinion was put across to the public in a very negative way without showing any of the benefits that such a scheme would bring.
An excellent argument though Henchmen and if I might say so very eloquently put - very well done.
21st July 2014 at 8:13AM
BlueGrover Wrote:

Blue_Grovers_Henchman Wrote:

Well, my little henchperson, I couldn't have put it better myself!

Thanks Dad...
21st July 2014 at 8:20AM, Edit: 21st July 2014 at 8:23AM by Blue_Grovers_Henchman
Serenity Wrote:

Totally with you Henchmen. I thought that narrowing the A6 was an excellent idea but in my opinion was put across to the public in a very negative way without showing any of the benefits that such a scheme would bring.
An excellent argument though Henchmen and if I might say so very eloquently put - very well done.

Very kind Serenity.

I think you are right about the negative way in which the idea has perhaps publicised. And at a glance, it would seem mad wouldn't it, to reduce the capacity of a road which already cant cope with the capacity! But when you think it through, so long as it was done at the same time as the new Airport road is opened, it could be the saving of the Grove. Think - less is more.

After the Airport link road is just opened, I can just see that 30 ton truck driving down High Lane toward the new junction at Simpsons bend. Decisions decisions...

Does the driver get in the slower moving line of traffic through the Grove? (because the A6 is now down to 2 lanes and Hazel Grove centre is swarming with shoppers instead of vehicles)

Or does it take that nice empty 2 lane carriageway toward the Airport?

Hmmm...
Coleman
Forum Moderator

Coleman
21st July 2014 at 9:23AM
TO put the same point another way, the A6 through Hazel Grove is pretty much a car park during the day as it is, so reducing it down to 3 lanes isn't going to make it any worse. Why not reclaim some of the space to increase the pavements as you suggest and give some space to retailers.

The traffic even if it doesn't find any other routes isn't going to go through any slower than the crawl it already does and if you really think about it, having a turning only lane, as long as its put in along with strict 'no stopping' restrictions actually might improve traffic flow. how often is the traffic slowed by cars turning right and everyone behind trying to swap lanes, or by that lazy lorry drive who parks outside modern aids (when there's a large yard a couple of doors down, or a yard to the rear, where the bamboo entrance is).

I wonder if the person who originally proposed the idea had that in mind and whether anyone has done any modelling with the figures for traffic flow to see what would actually happen?
21st July 2014 at 10:10AM
Coleman Wrote:

TO put the same point another way, the A6 through Hazel Grove is pretty much a car park during the day as it is, so reducing it down to 3 lanes isn't going to make it any worse. Why not reclaim some of the space to increase the pavements as you suggest and give some space to retailers.

The traffic even if it doesn't find any other routes isn't going to go through any slower than the crawl it already does and if you really think about it, having a turning only lane, as long as its put in along with strict 'no stopping' restrictions actually might improve traffic flow. how often is the traffic slowed by cars turning right and everyone behind trying to swap lanes, or by that lazy lorry drive who parks outside modern aids (when there's a large yard a couple of doors down, or a yard to the rear, where the bamboo entrance is).

I wonder if the person who originally proposed the idea had that in mind and whether anyone has done any modelling with the figures for traffic flow to see what would actually happen?

The thing is Coleman, with the extra space created, a number of short term parking bays could be created for the Modern Aids deliveries along with allowing other short term parking areas through the village.

I wonder if any of our Cllrs asked the advice of their counterparts in Poynton about their experience, i.e. what went well, what they would do different etc.

I’d be keen to hear from any of the Hazel Grove Cllrs to better understand their views.
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
21st July 2014 at 10:13AM, Edit: 21st July 2014 at 10:15AM by Serenity
OliverJohnstone Wrote:

Hi Serenity

I have already made my case vocally and clearly on this issue.

Earlier in this thread, I said I was against the proposed narrowing of the A6. I wrote about it in my leaflets.

Now that it had been stopped due to the significant opposition among residents, I am very pleased.

The only viable solution to easing congestion in Hazel Grove is to build Phase 2 of the bypass.

Oliver I live virtually next door to the A6 at probably the busiest end of the Grove. Probably the part of the A6 that is worst affected by the congested traffic. However I have never received any opinion pole/letter or been invited to attend any meetings to discuss the matter of narrowing the A6. So might I ask who and where was this final decision actually made and on what grounds? Why if extending the pavements and narrowing the A6 is such a bad idea are they doing it further down near Morrison's?
sam39
Villager

sam39
21st July 2014 at 12:04PM
Isn't the fundamental problem that the A6, and the A34, to some extent, are the only routes south from a large chunk of southern Manchester. This north/south/north traffic is confined at Hazel Grove (just as it is at Lonsight). If Hazel Grove is restricted even further where does this traffic go?
<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >>

Part of..

Tagged With..