10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Narrowing the A6?

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >>

OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
Re: Narrowing the A6?
17th July 2014 at 11:13PM
It is a fair point that the bypass is neither a short term nor is it a solution that is definitely going to happen.

I believe it to be the only practical and realistic solution.

If we could start again, we might consider doing away with a ribbon development and the whole concept of the A6 but we cannot do that. To propose anything of that nature would never get passed scrutiny or the decision making process.

I believe I have a duty to manage your expectations as much as anything else. I will never promise or advocate anything that I cannot or will not deliver.

Bottom line the bypass is the only option if you want really ease the congestion. There is only so much you can do. If you have more cars, you lay more road surface. Since we cannot widen the A6, we must build new roads.

I simply cannot see any other serious answer which is why I intend to campaign hard for the second phase of the bypass.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
BlueGrover
Forum Moderator

BlueGrover
18th July 2014 at 9:20AM
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is a "ribbon development?"
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
18th July 2014 at 9:41AM

Thanks for your response Oliver, very much appreciated. However to say that there is nothing more that can be done until a complete bypass is given the go ahead I feel is a very defeatist attitude.

We’re always being told that the there’s no money in the pot for any new roads now or in the future. So to say that the traffic problem in the Grove will just have to go on like this until a bypass is eventually built is sheer madness. It’s fine to campaign for a future bypass as long as you don’t lose sight of the here and now fight for everyday solutions to existing problems.

Whilst I can appreciate that you don’t want to rise our expectations saying that nothing more can be done until a miracle occurs (in the form of a bypass) is a pretty bleak outlook for the Grove.
glenandem
Forum Moderator

glenandem
18th July 2014 at 11:03AM
I agree the other section of the so called bypass which is just a airport relief rd dumping more traffic in our town as it is will not help untill the bredbury section goes ahead and I could bet a million pounds that won't go ahead if you look at the cost of it, 2-3 time the cost of this section at least?
Not even worth campaigning for and as above effort should be out into making what we have better, little things could make a big difference!
cooper120
Villager

cooper120
18th July 2014 at 12:54PM
Serenity Wrote:

Thanks for your response Oliver, very much appreciated. However to say that there is nothing more that can be done until a complete bypass is given the go ahead I feel is a very defeatist attitude.

We’re always being told that the there’s no money in the pot for any new roads now or in the future. So to say that the traffic problem in the Grove will just have to go on like this until a bypass is eventually built is sheer madness. It’s fine to campaign for a future bypass as long as you don’t lose sight of the here and now fight for everyday solutions to existing problems.

Whilst I can appreciate that you don’t want to rise our expectations saying that nothing more can be done until a miracle occurs (in the form of a bypass) is a pretty bleak outlook for the Grove.

Jesus, is Oliver supposed to come up with the ideas, campaign for them and implement them?
What's your solution? Come on, bring in some (realistic) ideas?
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
18th July 2014 at 1:31PM
I'm not saying that I have any wonderful miracle cures for the Grove's traffic that will resolve the problem overnight but surely that's a job for the council anyway and you I would hope that they're working towards ways of tackling the problem right now. But I do get fed up with the constant mention of the bypass as you know and I know it will probably never happen.

However I do feel I have a right to ask Oliver as one of our elected councillor's if there are any more suggestions in the offering from the council it was never meant to be a personal attract on Oliver as I've also asked the opinion of the other councillors as well. However don't you feel that it's Oliver's role (and that of his colleques)to take on board the needs of the area ( traffic congestion being one of them) and to look into ways of resolving the problem and not just simply parrot phrasing it's a bypass or nothing, or what's the point of having councillors. I'd gladly come up with some ideas if I had any influence in getting anything done, but sadly I don't.

OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
19th July 2014 at 9:28AM
Serenity you have every right to ask whatever questions you wish of me - I am your elected representative.

However, addressing your key point, I do not think there is another solution to the congestion issue in Hazel Grove.

Do you yourself have an alternative proposal? I would genuinely be glad to hear it. I fully accept that I do not have all the answers to local issues.

To deal with a congestion problem so significant, you would need a major transport infrastructure project - eg a road, railway expansion, trams/light railways or development of bus services.

Other than roads or railways, the other above options would take up more road space and would probably be the wrong answer to the wrong question i.e buses, trains and trams only deal with individual travel and not larger commercial transport. Hence this is why I say a new road is the only proposal that stands up to scrutiny.

It should be said that this is simply my opinion. I am not an expert in transport policy and if another idea were to be put forward which also provided an answer to the congestion issue, I would give it equal consideration.
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
19th July 2014 at 9:34AM, Edit: 19th July 2014 at 9:36AM by Serenity
"Jesus, is Oliver supposed to come up with the ideas, campaign for them and implement them?
What's your solution? Come on, bring in some (realistic) ideas?
[/QUOTE]

Thought that's what councillors were for Cooper - perhaps not implement that would be asking to much.

Not wanted to point the finger but tell me Cooper what idea has Oliver (or any of his colleques) come up with so far. Not one that I can think of. It's ok for them to knock the only idea that has been suggested but where's the new ideas. Nothing nil...

Seems to me it's the easy option to say that the bypass is the only answer. Perhaps if that is to be the case they should stop passing building plans until the bypass gets the official go ahead. That way at least they wouldn't be adding more traffic to an already congested area.

Anyway why so defensive Cooper. What's wrong with asking our councillor has there been any other new ideas, surely he (or any other councillor)should know the answer.

sam39
Villager

sam39
19th July 2014 at 11:33AM
I am no traffic planner, but as people have already pointed out, a lot of the problem arises from traffic crossing the A6 - either at Commercial Rd, Chester Rd, or the Bulls Head (to which I could also add at PoundLand). In this regard, it seemed like an opportunity lost when the MacDonalds access road was not extended up to Chester Rd. Similarly, the incomplete road at Sainsburys could have been run over the fields - at least to a roundabout at this end of Bean Leech. I always understood that Sainsburys provided or promised funding to extend that road to the Bredbury by-pass - that by-pass is further away than ever. What about spending the money now?
Jenny
Villager

Jenny
19th July 2014 at 1:40PM
Realistically in the current political climate, the bypass has about 0% chance of actually getting built, let's not beat around the bush with that one!

So what alternatives are there?

Narrow the A6
Good idea in principle, bad idea when you consider that traffic has nowhere else to go.

Improve rail services
No political will to improve rail if there are no benefits to London, the North always comes out worse in these situations. The Northern Hub project is just a small gesture from down south to try to appease us, with no benefits to Hazel Grove anyway.

Peak time trains are overcrowded, the station car park is under capacity, Northern don't have any spare trains to add extra services and their franchise was let as a 'no growth' franchise.

Short of shooting all politicians, there is nowt we can hope for here.

Improve buses
We have a fantastic bus service, but it's journey time to Stockport and Manchester lets it down massively. I've already suggested 192 improvements to speed it up and increase its catchment. New services with different routes into Stockport avoiding the A6 may also be a good option (while retaining the existing 192)

Improve roads
If we presume the bypass isn't happening, there is still a fair amount that can be done. I've mentioned before a link road to the station from the McDonalds access road, someone else has mentioned a link from the Sainsburys access road, those could reduce a couple of turning conflict points. Could quite easily block off about 50% of the accesses on the West side of the A6 without too much inconvenience. Removing turning traffic will help traffic flow considerably.

Would the councilor be willing to support any of these?
<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >>

Part of..

Tagged With..