Hazel Grove News

A Suburb in Stockport

10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Narrowing the A6?

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >>

Re: Narrowing the A6?
17th July 2014 at 9:02AM
OliverJohnstone Wrote:

The only viable solution to easing congestion in Hazel Grove is to build Phase 2 of the bypass.

And if that does not happen, is that where your contribution ends Oliver?

The single largest threat to Hazel Grove's community is the wretched volume of traffic. For over 50 years various people have tried to get the bypass built from Hazel Grove to Stockport without success. Are you are saying that if phase 2 of the by-pass is not built that's it as far as your contribution is concerned?
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Jenny
Villager

Jenny
17th July 2014 at 9:27AM
Is removing bus stops really a solution to solving congestion? Need to be getting more people on the buses, not making it more difficult.

The 192 should be rerouted to do a one way loop of the Hazel Grove estates to increase its catchment area, returning northbound up the A6, combine that with a few more bus lanes between here, Stockport and Manchester and it becomes a much more viable alternative to thousands of cars clogging up the village.
1 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
cooper120
Villager

cooper120
17th July 2014 at 10:27AM
The traffic congestion can be pinpointed to 3 areas

People heading towards the bulls head going right at chester road.
Heading up the A6 and turning right on commercial road.

And that flaming car garage in Great moor is a nightmare. The
whole road should be double yellows as far as I'm concerned.

I don't have a solution for the first two. If it was up to me I would have the houses on Chester road knocked down and make it more of a junction/bus terminus/train station. That's not realistic I know.
spectrum
Villager

spectrum
17th July 2014 at 10:29AM, Edit: 17th July 2014 at 10:35AM by spectrum
Blue_Grovers_Henchman Wrote:

OliverJohnstone Wrote:

The only viable solution to easing congestion in Hazel Grove is to build Phase 2 of the bypass.

And if that does not happen, is that where your contribution ends Oliver?

The single largest threat to Hazel Grove's community is the wretched volume of traffic. For over 50 years various people have tried to get the bypass built from Hazel Grove to Stockport without success. Are you are saying that if phase 2 of the by-pass is not built that's it as far as your contribution is concerned?

I thought the A6 to Manchester Airport relief road was supposed to be bringing traffic congestion relief to Hazel Grove, that was essentially why a lot of the residents I know backed it. Are we now to believe that this wont happen without the link to Bredbury? The Fiveways will probably be buried in traffic due to the ridiculous crossroad junction planned there, and it now looks like there will be no benefit to the rest of Hazel Grove.

Starting to feel we have been duped!
Jenny
Villager

Jenny
17th July 2014 at 10:35AM
cooper120 Wrote:

People heading towards the bulls head going right at chester road.
Heading up the A6 and turning right on commercial road.

Access to the station and Chester Road from the A6 is shocking, but that could so easily be bypassed by running a road from the McDonalds access road to the station along the edge of the allotments (admittedly you'd have to lose a few of them). Chester Road/Grundey Street could then be blocked off at the A6 end which solves a lot of the problems with turning traffic.

I'm not sure what you could do about Commercial Road to be honest, short of a spot of demolition! (Though that wouldn't go down very well!)
slim
Townsperson

slim
17th July 2014 at 12:30PM
The A6 to airport road is nothing to do with congestion in the grove it's being built so the airport can expand !
And they couldn't care less on the impact on hazel grove .
Bakewell
Villager

Bakewell
17th July 2014 at 1:28PM
Jenny Wrote:

Is removing bus stops really a solution to solving congestion? Need to be getting more people on the buses, not making it more difficult.

The 192 should be rerouted to do a one way loop of the Hazel Grove estates to increase its catchment area, returning northbound up the A6, combine that with a few more bus lanes between here, Stockport and Manchester and it becomes a much more viable alternative to thousands of cars clogging up the village.

Removing that particular one would certainly help. They should have built a lay - by when they redid that junction, now you get the bus blocking both traffic turning right from Commercial Road and also going north on the A6 causing gridlock.
One of the big problems with the 192, and I speak as a regular user, is the sheer number of stops. These are often situated within 200 yards of one another. Thin them out a bit and the journey time would improve (as might the health of some of the passengers rotfl)
A second problem with the A6 is, as has often been mentioned here, is the sheer number of traffic lights. I think that there are 11 sets between the Rising Sun and Sainsburys, a distance of 0.7 miles. Couple this with the fact that they are timed to not let you get through more than two sets on green all the way through to Stockport and it is little wonder that traffic barely moves.
Jenny
Villager

Jenny
17th July 2014 at 2:19PM
Bakewell Wrote:

Removing that particular one would certainly help. They should have built a lay - by when they redid that junction, now you get the bus blocking both traffic turning right from Commercial Road and also going north on the A6 causing gridlock.

I fully agree that it would help those in cars, yes, but it would be a massive inconvenience to those with heavy shopping who have just come out of Asda. Sadly, there just isn't the space there to have a workable solution that pleases everyone (other than building the goddamn bypass!)

Bakewell Wrote:

One of the big problems with the 192, and I speak as a regular user, is the sheer number of stops. These are often situated within 200 yards of one another. Thin them out a bit and the journey time would improve (as might the health of some of the passengers rotfl)

You're preaching to the converted! :-) 90 mins into Manchester at peak time just isn't acceptable, this is down to a mix of traffic heading into Stockport/Levenshulme combined with the number of stops, and aside from the stupid little one that's between Asda and Sainsburys (seriously, who has a need to use that one?!) I can't spot any that could reasonably be removed.

One solution could be to take a leaf out of Wilmslow Road's book, run all Hazel Grove 192s as a limited stop X92, while keeping the Stepping Hill/Stockport 192s the same. To be effective it would have to be very limited stop, with a single stop in each of the main population centres.

Bakewell Wrote:

A second problem with the A6 is, as has often been mentioned here, is the sheer number of traffic lights. I think that there are 11 sets between the Rising Sun and Sainsburys, a distance of 0.7 miles. Couple this with the fact that they are timed to not let you get through more than two sets on green all the way through to Stockport and it is little wonder that traffic barely moves.

A common misconception with traffic lights is that people often think that because *they* are being held up, then the lights must be broken (just to make it clear that I'm not accusing you of being like this... I don't know you!). Sometimes people fail to look at the bigger picture in which traffic lights are timed, a few seconds longer on green at one set could cause gridlock a bit further down.

In areas where there are far more cars than there is available roadspace, the trick is not about getting people through as fast as possible, it's about getting as many people through as possible in the most efficient way, and that often means 'holding traffic back' to avoid total gridlock a bit further down the road. Could you imagine how much worse traffic in Stockport would be if everyone had a free run through Hazel Grove? It'd be a total nightmare!

That said, when congestion is so bad that the above measures are necessary, the only way out is a bypass, it's the only way out of this mess and anything else is simply polishing a turd (so to speak!) I'm not claiming that the above is what actually happens in Hazel Grove, but going on experience and attempting to look at the bigger picture, I'd be very surprised if it wasn't.
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
17th July 2014 at 3:44PM, Edit: 17th July 2014 at 3:45PM by Serenity
Thanks for your response Oliver but it leaves me a little sad that you offered such a closed answer. I was hoping for your current views on the matter and not just a one off take it or leave answer/solution. Even if the bypass was agreed upon surely it would take several years before it would be finalised and many more years until it was eventually built. What do you see the Grove and more importantly the residents doing until then, suffering in silence? I drove through the Grove today at 12.30 and the traffic was almost at a standstill, add new housing developments and a new road and what do you have - a recipe for disaster. Instead of trying to encourage more shoppers into the Grove (with your free parking scheme) perhaps it might be an idea to try to encourage them to shop elsewhere.
17th July 2014 at 9:43PM
I'd been keen to hear not only Oliver's view, but also that of William - MP in waiting?
<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >>

Part of..

Tagged With..