Sounds crazy to me!
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
BlueGrover
Forum Moderator

BlueGrover
Re: Narrowing the A6?
14th July 2014 at 1:49PM
From tonights MEN.
Councillors have welcomed news that a ‘crazy’ plan to narrow one of the region’s busiest roads in a bid to solve congestion has been binned.

A report looking at ways to ease congestion on the A6 in Stockport considered measures to improve traffic flow before the road becomes even busier with congestion generated by proposed housing developments in Derbyshire and Cheshire East.

High Peak, Cheshire East, Derbyshire and Stockport councils, in conjunction with Transport for Greater Manchester, were involved in the joint study.

One of the suggestions was to reduce the road from four lanes to three in Hazel Grove between Torkington Road and Bramhall Moor Lane after the Manchester Airport Relief Road is built.

There would be a single lane in each direction with a shared third lane for right turns with traffic ‘displaced’ onto nearby smaller roads - Jacksons Lane and Marple Road.

The report said the measure would result in a ‘notable reduction in traffic’. But it was immediately branded ‘crazy’ by now Stockport Mayor, Hazel Grove councillor Kevin Hogg.

The proposal has now been removed from the report after opposition from councillors and residents.

Tory Hazel Grove councillor William Wragg said: “I am pleased that common sense appears to have prevailed. This could have had a devastating effect on Hazel Grove – increased congestion, more pollution and a threat to local business. I’m glad this barmy plan has been dropped.”

Hazel Grove MP Sir Andrew Stunell said: “The idea seems to have been dreamt up behind the scenes by officers on Cheshire East and Stockport councils.

“The Lib Dems in Hazel Grove spoke out against it immediately and forced the council to drop the plans.”

Deputy council leader Iain Roberts said: “There were a number of ideas, including taking the A6 down to three lanes.

"Hazel Grove councillors argued strongly against it and the recommendation has now been removed from the report.”
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
14th July 2014 at 5:44PM
BlueGrover Wrote:

From tonights MEN.
Councillors have welcomed news that a ‘crazy’ plan to narrow one of the region’s busiest roads in a bid to solve congestion has been binned.

A report looking at ways to ease congestion on the A6 in Stockport considered measures to improve traffic flow before the road becomes even busier with congestion generated by proposed housing developments in Derbyshire and Cheshire East.

High Peak, Cheshire East, Derbyshire and Stockport councils, in conjunction with Transport for Greater Manchester, were involved in the joint study.

One of the suggestions was to reduce the road from four lanes to three in Hazel Grove between Torkington Road and Bramhall Moor Lane after the Manchester Airport Relief Road is built.

There would be a single lane in each direction with a shared third lane for right turns with traffic ‘displaced’ onto nearby smaller roads - Jacksons Lane and Marple Road.

The report said the measure would result in a ‘notable reduction in traffic’. But it was immediately branded ‘crazy’ by now Stockport Mayor, Hazel Grove councillor Kevin Hogg.

The proposal has now been removed from the report after opposition from councillors and residents.

Tory Hazel Grove councillor William Wragg said: “I am pleased that common sense appears to have prevailed. This could have had a devastating effect on Hazel Grove – increased congestion, more pollution and a threat to local business. I’m glad this barmy plan has been dropped.”

Hazel Grove MP Sir Andrew Stunell said: “The idea seems to have been dreamt up behind the scenes by officers on Cheshire East and Stockport councils.

“The Lib Dems in Hazel Grove spoke out against it immediately and forced the council to drop the plans.”

Deputy council leader Iain Roberts said: “There were a number of ideas, including taking the A6 down to three lanes.

"Hazel Grove councillors argued strongly against it and the recommendation has now been removed from the report.”

It's easy to brand the idea as a crazy scheme but what other suggestions have been put on the table. To me its no more daft than what someone passed all the years ago which resulted in the chaos we have now. I'm fed up of hearing negative comments from all the above without hearing any better suggestions. Please lets hear ALL your views of ways to reduce the congestion in the Grove. I'd be happy to listen to any new ideas - that is if anyone has any.
glenandem
Forum Moderator

glenandem
14th July 2014 at 11:14PM
Get rid of a few traffic lights and sort certain bottle necks like great moor car sales and windlehurst lights in high lane, at peak times them two single areas cause traffic to back log in oppinion!
Oh and take the airport relief rd to bredbury now it's been passed but as it is it's only going to cause more traffic in my opinion?
Bakewell
Villager

Bakewell
15th July 2014 at 12:40PM
Get rid of the bus stop outside ASDA. Must be the most ridiculously sited one on the whole route.
0 Likes 1 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
16th July 2014 at 8:46AM
I'd say its promising to see that Stockport's Mayor Cllr Kevin Hogg has branded the idea 'crazy' as with his track record, I've no doubt he'll be working behind the scenes to do the exact opposite.

More relevantly, I'm keen to hear the view of Cllr Wragg or Johnstone whose recent keeping in touch flyer stated the Conservatives are opposed to the idea. If you do not support the narrowing of the A6 Cllrs, I assume you have some other ideas to try and regenerate Hazel Grove, halting the demise of our 'village' retail in lieu of more and more takeaways?

For the last few years you have both been busy weaving away in the background criticising the listless mediocrity of the Lib Dems - let's be honest, not a terribly difficult task. Narrowing the A6 may seem barmy superficially, but in the alternative what exactly do you propose as a better solution?

Come on Cllr's, let us hear your views. Blimey, I think one of you has aspirations of becoming the next Hazel Grove MP - it's not enough just to fix a couple of potholes.... ask Cllr Corris!
1 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Pedestrian
Villager

Pedestrian
16th July 2014 at 11:41AM
Where would you suggest the 192 bus stop was moved to?
glenandem
Forum Moderator

glenandem
16th July 2014 at 11:33PM
I do to think you'd need to move it, just get rid as there's one literally 50-100 yrds up the rd near the two pubs!
0 Likes 1 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
17th July 2014 at 7:09AM, Edit: 17th July 2014 at 7:20AM by Serenity
I’m sorry to see that our new councillor didn’t make any comments on this subject whilst he was visited the site to tell us about the carnival. I would have really liked to hear his views on the subject. A comment from William every now and again would also be very welcome, perhaps even one from Kevin as well. Maybe they all feel that this subject is nothing to do with us or perhaps they simply have nothing further to say on the matter. Whichever I for one would still like to hear back from them. Apart from the one proposal (be it good or bad)that's all we've has put forward at the moment. Although it’s nice to be kept updated on the carnival there is more important matters that we’d like to be updated on Oliver, this being one of them.

As for the Grove’s congestion problem - I’d like to think that something positive could still be done but what with the new housing developments and the new road all set to increase the traffic in the area I’m not so sure that whatever they have in mind would make any significant real difference to the flow of the traffic. The store developers should have been stopped in the first place, unfortunately though affect and consequences never seem to feature in any developers hand book, just section after section on how to make a profit but sod the community. But that's why I thought we hired our councillors to speak on our behalf and try to look after our interests and to stop the Grove from being over developing - surely that should be one of their main priorities, you would think.

I would still like to think that there was some way forward in resolving our concerns for the future of the Grove. And would REALLY love to hear back with the views from any of the people we elected to respond too and resolve such issues.
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
17th July 2014 at 7:25AM
Hi Serenity

I have already made my case vocally and clearly on this issue.

Earlier in this thread, I said I was against the proposed narrowing of the A6. I wrote about it in my leaflets.

Now that it had been stopped due to the significant opposition among residents, I am very pleased.

The only viable solution to easing congestion in Hazel Grove is to build Phase 2 of the bypass.
<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >>

Part of..

Tagged With..