Hazel Grove News

A Suburb in Stockport

10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Narrowing the A6?

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >>

Re: Narrowing the A6?
12th April 2014 at 9:17AM, Edit: 12th April 2014 at 9:20AM by Blue_Grovers_Henchman
What a ridiculous ill considered backward step by 'the great and the good', who clearly have no grasp whatsoever, of what is best for or is really needed in Hazel Grove. Well, you'd be forgiven for thinking that, but in principle it could (repeat could) be one of the best ideas I've heard for a very, very long time.

Think about this. Today the A6 through Hazel Grove is busy much of the time, and at peak times traffic is often and easily found to be bumper to bumper in both directions from Stepping Hill to the Rising Sun - it is quite simply, overwhelmed with congestion much of the day. The A6 through the Grove acts like a funnel for out of the area through traffic - just look at the volumes of vehicles queuing up and down high lane. These road users are not you and me, local people moving around the local area, this is traffic from out of the area who 'use' our so called village to get where they want to go.

The new road from the airport to Simpsons bend is certainly going to change the traffic dynamics in, out and around Hazel Grove. I suspect nobody really knows for sure, but it seems likely that the link road will take much of the High Lane/A6 traffic out of the Grove as road users naturally select the route of least resistance to get where they want to go. Ask yourself this, if you go a step further and take away one lane in each direction through Hazel Grove, will that make the bypass more or less attractive for the 'route of least resistance' brigade?

A dedicated right turn only onto Commercial road, Chester road, in and out of Sainsbury's etc? (all of which currently cause halted in their tracks 'right laners' to cut in front of you into the inside lane - its happened to us all and if were honest we've all done it, at the cost of slowing down those behind us). yep, dedicated right turns only would get my vote.

Now think about what the resulting benefits would be for local shops with wider pavements - a bid to return Hazel Grove into a shopping destination / village, instead of the 4 lane (slow moving) motorway is has become. Is it any wonder local shopper numbers are dwindling with pavement widths which are woefully inadequate? Is it safer to take your kids out Saturday morning shopping in Poynton, or Hazel Grove, with a thundering 40 tonner passing within inches? We all complain about the proliferation of more and more takeaways springing up - that's because real shop's can't survive.

I think this has the potential to be not quite so 'backward' as you'd be forgiven for first thinking...
2 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Fi_nix
Top Reviewer

Fi_nix
13th April 2014 at 12:10AM
^^^Best post - evah^^^

Agree - think outside the obvious. This could actually be the making of us!

0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
13th April 2014 at 2:57AM
You know I think Blue_Grovers_Henchman might be right. At first I thought that the idea was a bit daft but might work by reducing pollution somewhat if only by restricting the amount of traffic flowing through the Grove at any one time - but I couldn't quite see it working apart from that. But after reading Blue's post I suppose it might have a good chance of working in a similar way to the scheme at Poynton did where they too have widened the pavements to make shopping safer. I now think that its not such a daft idea after all and might be worth considering in the future.

The report also talks about introducing more train stations. I'm not really that fimilar with how the train lines run but I know there's a train line somewhere near Stepping Hill hospital. Couldn't they utilise that line and have a train station stopping at Stepping Hill Hospital. Would be perfect for staff and visitors.
spectrum
Villager

spectrum
14th April 2014 at 12:09PM, Edit: 14th April 2014 at 12:28PM by spectrum
I remember reading this some time ago in the "Draft complementary and mitigation measures" doc on the relief road website.

"The reduction in traffic through Hazel Grove presents the opportunity to reallocate road space in a more sustainable manner by for example, the introduction of bus lanes where space permits, and/or by reducing the number of lanes to a single lane in each direction with a shared third lane for right-turning provision and pedestrian refuges."

I remember posting this in March 2013 so not exactly a surprise.

Anyone know which proposed housing developments in Cheshire East (outlined in the report) will be bringing increased traffic to Hazel Grove?
cooper120
Villager

cooper120
14th April 2014 at 1:38PM
The A6 back up starts at Aquinas, it's mainly because people park on the raod because they're allowed to at certain times. Double yellow the whole thing - specifically that sh*t car garage in woodsmoor.

Henchmen speaks sense, but it's not an instant fix. Dedicated right only lane at Commercial road AND sainsburys would make a huge impact - simular to that at the bottom of torkington. Whilst they are there, remove the stupid jutting out pavement at the bulls head lights so more traffic can go in the left and right lanes, not blocking up either. Not rocket science.
Damien
Villager

Damien
14th April 2014 at 10:32PM
I think we should go one step further. We should keep the A6 as 4 lanes, but have it as a one way street in the direction of Manchester.
18th April 2014 at 7:18AM
I use the A6 every day to get to and from work. Yesterday I had to attend a funeral, it took me almost 45 minutes to get from the Rising Sun to the crematorium.   It was mid afternoon, there was no accident and the only reason was sheer volume of traffic - narrowing the A6 would only have made this worse.

In the last month both of my neighbours have been involved in accidents in Hazel Grove neither of which was their fault, I drive every day experiencing "near misses" with other cars who chop and change lanes through frustration as the traffic is so bad.

I would love to use the train to travel to work but the cost is prohibitive - over £10 a day for a journey which I know costs me less than that in the car even factoring insurance and road tax. My stress levels would be reduced if I used the train but I'd be bankrupt.

I cannot offer a solution to the problem of the volume of traffic but so etching really does need to be done to address it.
2 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
houseman
Villager

houseman
22nd April 2014 at 1:19PM
Surely by now there should have been some attempt to sort out the abortion that is the system of traffic lights between the rising Sub and Poplar grove entrance to Stepping Hill hospital
1 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
hellonpluto
Villager

hellonpluto
24th April 2014 at 9:34AM
Problem with the dedicated right hand lane...what happens when the 192 stops at every stop? There are loads of 192s per hour which would probably cause more congestion because you wont be able to overtake the bus!

Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
24th April 2014 at 11:06AM
You know the problem isn't the whole of the A6 just certain parts and at certain times such as first thing in the morning and tea time rush hour. I drove along the A6 yesterday to Stockport at about 10 and the road was pretty clear all along to Stockport except for the dreaded junctions outside Sainsburys and Asda and even at that time it was gridlocked with traffic. That to me is where the heart of the problem is. Like we've all said to many traffic lights in too short a space.
<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >>

Part of..

Tagged With..