10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Narrowing the A6?

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >>

BlueGrover
Forum Moderator

BlueGrover
Narrowing the A6?
10th April 2014 at 8:23AM
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/a6-congestion-stockport-council-bosses-6939118

If I didn't know the date, I would have thought this was an April Fool.................

A report looking at ways to solve the problem of traffic congestion on one of the region’s busiest roads suggests NARROWING it.

It investigates how to improve traffic flow on the A6 in Stockport before it becomes even busier with traffic generated by proposed housing developments in Derbyshire and Cheshire East.

One of the suggestions is to reduce the road from four lanes to three in Hazel Grove between Torkington Road and Bramhall Moor Lane after the Airport Relief Road is built.

There would be a single lane in each direction with a shared third lane for right turns with traffic ‘displaced’ onto nearby smaller roads; Jacksons Lane and Marple Road.

The report, ordered by Stockport council, says the measure could be delivered in the next five years. It says: “This will result in a notable reduction in traffic on the A6 through Hazel Grove.”

The report was presented to councillors at the Stepping Hill and Marple area committees.

Hazel Grove councillor Kevin Hogg said: “I don’t understand the mentality or the intelligence of highways officers who want to turn the Hazel Grove stretch into a three-lane road when it can’t cope now as a four-lane highway. To try to squeeze that amount of traffic on to that bit of the A6 is crazy.”

Coun Ben Alexander added: “We’re unhappy with many of the recommendations.”

Other suggestions include a new train station at Simpsons Corner and an East Didsbury to Hazel Grove tram.

Coun Iain Roberts said: “High Peak, Cheshire East, Derbyshire and Stockport, with TfGM, have undertaken a joint study of the A6 to see what needs to be done to lessen the impact of development proposed in High Peak council’s plan.”
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
Re: Narrowing the A6?
10th April 2014 at 10:02AM

Reducing 4 lanes to 2/3 would reduce the amount of traffic that passing through the Grove at any one time so in that way I suppose the powers to be could say that as a result of this that the pollution would be halved. To me its just playing with figures. But without a doubt something needs to be done and very quickly.
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
10th April 2014 at 12:41PM
I do not understand the logic of this at all.

It would surely make the traffic problems worse not better. Not to mention the effect it would have on businesses.

Completely insane proposal.

As someone once said, "No! No! No!"
slim
Townsperson

slim
10th April 2014 at 2:21PM
As I understand the report isn't about pollution but about traffic congestion ?
Hasn't everybody when the A6 has road works on it and it's down to 2 lanes and you've been sat there for god knows how long thought to themselves I wish it was always like this ?
1 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
sam39
Villager

sam39
10th April 2014 at 2:58PM
Concrete and barbed wire emplacements should be built at Bullock Smithy (once known as The Bulls Head), and just south of Commercial Road - that'll stop the invaders. These must be manned by a Hazel Grove Home Guard which should be recruited immediately with orders to shoot (or at least shout loudly at) any transport planner seen in the vicinity. There are plenty of likely lads in Wetherspoons. Captain Hogg, Sergeant Alexander and Corporal 'Don't Panic' Corris should develop strategic plans for the complete isolation of the Grove in case any outsiders are planning invasion. The church bells must be silenced!! General Stunnell must be recalled from the front. Every one else is excused whilst the whole world goes mad.
1 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
vulcanman
Townsperson

vulcanman
10th April 2014 at 4:56PM
No logic at all in this. The good news is that the local politicians on both sides of the divide appear to be in agreement.
Bakewell
Villager

Bakewell
11th April 2014 at 12:00PM
It could work, but only if they could add a few more sets of traffic lights at the same time - there is ~ 100 yards between Queens Road and Chapel street that doesn't have any! While they're at it, why not add some more bus stops like the one outside Asda that works so well and in no way blocks traffic devil
BlueGrover
Forum Moderator

BlueGrover
11th April 2014 at 12:35PM
slim Wrote:

As I understand the report isn't about pollution but about traffic congestion ?
Hasn't everybody when the A6 has road works on it and it's down to 2 lanes and you've been sat there for god knows how long thought to themselves I wish it was always like this ?
Its not always down to roadworks. Any delivery lorry parking on the A6 for a short time can clog south bound traffic back down to Heaviley in no time at all.
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
11th April 2014 at 3:58PM
BlueGrover Wrote:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/a6-congestion-stockport-council-bosses-6939118

The report was presented to councillors at the Stepping Hill and Marple area committees.

Hazel Grove councillor Kevin Hogg said: “I don’t understand the mentality or the intelligence of highways officers who want to turn the Hazel Grove stretch into a three-lane road when it can’t cope now as a four-lane highway. To try to squeeze that amount of traffic on to that bit of the A6 is crazy.”

Coun Ben Alexander added: “We’re unhappy with many of the recommendations.”

Other suggestions include a new train station at Simpsons Corner and an East Didsbury to Hazel Grove tram.

Coun Iain Roberts said: “High Peak, Cheshire East, Derbyshire and Stockport, with TfGM, have undertaken a joint study of the A6 to see what needs to be done to lessen the impact of development proposed in High Peak council’s plan.”

Why do the powers to be pass plans for new roads/houses and then turn round and say that the area just can't cope with the extra traffic that these new developments will bring. Why oh why don't they discuss these potential problems beforehand instead of putting the horse before the cart.

vulcanman
Townsperson

vulcanman
11th April 2014 at 4:29PM
There is a standard equation Serenity which sadly only occasionally comes true:-

Local Government * Party = Common sense

There are three additional factors which come into play, i.e. Labour, Conservative and Liberal. Whilst in other areas the Liberals some in with a good positive factor, the multiple for them in Stockport is usually very poor, in fact it tenfs to zero so if you exchange 'Local Government' in the above equation for 'Lib Dem' the equation never really seems to be true ...

Liberal Dem = Common Sense

Having said that, perhaps this time around Cllr Hogg is the exception to provide the rule as he is speaking common sense.
<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >>

Part of..

Tagged With..