Hazel Grove News

A Suburb in Stockport

10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Mobile Phone Masts and councillors

NorburyNewlywed
Drifter
Mobile Phone Masts and councillors
14th June 2007 at 10:58AM
Just before our recent local elections we had a leaflet through from the Lib Dem candidate, Christine Corris. She listed "voting against mobile phone masts" as one of her achievements. As a mobile phone user, like a large majority of people nowadays, I would like to have a good reception on my phone and fail to see voting against this as a good point. I have emailed Christine (shortly after the election) to ask her why she voted against but had no reply. Anyone got any idea why she has voted this way and thinks we'll vote for her because of it?
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Quote Report  
Pietro Davies
Drifter
Re: Mobile Phone Masts and councillors
14th June 2007 at 5:25PM
I think she sees this as an achievement due to the fact that not too many people like the thought of living in close proximity of a 25 metre metal tower, spitting out god only knows what kind of low level radiation AND they look terrible.

I too have a mobile phone, a backberry, and a carphone. However, I would rather do without if I had to have a mobile phone mast in my neighbourhood, spoiling my vista.

That said, I am not opposed to locating them in industrial areas such as Pepper Road, Newby Road or near Carpet World. I know there are houses loacated near these areas too, but it would be possible to install the masts as far away from the houses as possible.

Before anybody shouts cries of "yeah right, not on you doorstep though eh?" I do actually live nearby to one of these industrial estates.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
GillB
Townsperson

GillB
15th June 2007 at 8:02AM
So now we know why Lib Dems won.

Having "Against mobile phone masts" in your campaign is just a way to get voters to vote for you, no one wants a mast near them, we all hate them, yet we never stop and think "I wonder WHY I can't get any reception round here" when our mobiles don't work.

I personally am not that bothered by them, I wouldn't try to stop one near me, but that's just me.

There was a program a few weeks ago, Panorama, it was talking about Wifi and whether we should be worried. Apparently wireless internet is 4 times as strong as a mobile phone mast, so it seems you should be more worried about your next door neighbours 'going wireless' than a mobile phone mast, well unless they forget to secure it that is, then you'll have free internet ;)
NorburyNewlywed
Villager

NorburyNewlywed
18th June 2007 at 6:30AM, Edit: 18th June 2007 at 6:34AM by NorburyNewlywed
No-one objects against having TV signals beamed into their home do they? If the signal isn't strong enough they want the power increased. It's all radio waves, in a similar part of the spectrum too. Give me more masts any day, my signal is poor and I live very close to the A6. I have some sympathy with the aesthetic objections, but I don't think they look any worse than big lampposts really.

The health fears are a complete nonsense, and even if they weren't your phone has to use more power to contact a mast that's further away. Your phone is right next to your head so what you want is to have a mast close by so your phone is transmitting a weaker signal. This makes sense for me because I'll have a better signal and battery life, and it should make sense to people who are worried about radio waves because they'll be receiving less of them. It's a no-brainer.

As for Panorama, that show has been comprehensively debunked here: http://www.badscience.net/?p=418 amongst other places.
SteveW
Drifter
19th June 2007 at 6:31PM
NorburyNewlyWed, I think most people would agree with Pietro - if nothing else they just look awfull.

I'm not sure about the science part, but I can't believe that you want these ugly towers erected just so that you get a better signal. I think they look much worse than a plain old lamppost too.

Some people !
Drifter
20th June 2007 at 8:50AM
Mobile phone masts are an eyesore, why on earth would you want more. Phones signals are good enough in t'grove and surrounding areas. I don't agree with you I'm afraid NNW, and am not alone.
NorburyNewlywed
Villager

NorburyNewlywed
20th June 2007 at 10:32AM
SteveW Wrote:

NorburyNewlyWed, I think most people would agree with Pietro - if nothing else they just look awfull.

I'm not sure about the science part, but I can't believe that you want these ugly towers erected just so that you get a better signal. I think they look much worse than a plain old lamppost too.

Some people !

Fair enough on the looks - but I don't like the look of lampposts either! I just said I don't think masts look worse. Lampposts are there because they are useful, not because they look good, I'm arguing that's the only criteria for masts as well. That said I'd rather have something nice to look at than something ugly, like anyone else. Maybe we need to get the phone companies to have more pleasing designs? But given the choice between an ugly mast and no mast I'd choose the ugly mast.

Of course I want these 'ugly' towers erected just so that I get a better signal - why on earth else would I want more erected other than to get a better signal?
GillB
Townsperson

GillB
20th June 2007 at 3:46PM
Thank you, NorburyNewlywed, for the link on that Panorama program, I already knew it was pathetic, didn't realise just HOW pathetic it was. It's a shame, since they had a program about Scientology, where they blamed the BBC of being "bias", maybe they are.

Now, phone masts, lamp posts, top ten tyres colour scheme, rusty metal shutters, graffiti, traffic, run down empty shops, anti social behaviour.

All of this AND MORE is "unsightly", yes, but some (as NorburyNewlywed) said have practical and useful functions. Others on the other hand are less functional or just unneeded. Look through the photo gallery on this site, for example do you not think the traffic lights and crossing etc looks 'unsightly' in this photograph

There is far worse things in life than a mobile phone mast, why not deal with that first?

This is just like Wind turbines, people think their "unsightly" yet isnt that better than damaging the enviroment? people dont want them in the lake district because they'll ruin the 'view', but if global warming is to be believed, their wont BE a view left to admire anyway.

Anyway, my point is, there is worse things to life than a mobile phone mast.

Part of..