Hazel Grove News

A Suburb in Stockport

10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Mirrlees Memories Rediscovered

MANDT
Drifter
Mirrlees Memories Rediscovered
1st November 2011 at 2:46PM
A recent addition to the archives at the MAN Diesel & Turbo UK Ltd property on Bramhall Moor Lane in Hazel Grove is a beautifully produced photographic book entitled "A British Engineering Shop During the War 1914-1918", believed to have been originally published back in 1920.

Discovered by accident in E.J. Morten’s Bookshop in Didsbury, the book contains 100 pages of everyday life at the factory, formerly known as Mirrlees, a much-respected company for over a hundred years in Hazel Grove and one of the largest employers in the borough.
With the majority of the male workforce away in the services it was left to the female population of the area to take over many factory duties and this book records their achievements with some remarkably good quality photographs considering their age. From the Board of Directors to the canteen ladies, from the workers on the lathes to the junior office staff, all aspects of the workforce are covered.

MAN Diesel & Turbo UK Ltd have reprinted a limited number of hardback facsimile copies which are now available for sale (at £10 per copy), the proceeds of which will then be donated entirely to the Royal British Legion Poppy Appeal which this year celebrates its 90th anniversary. This reprint will be an ideal way for current Stockport residents and families to have a wonderful record of their ancestors’ working lives at Mirrlees as well as supporting a worthwhile appeal.

Wayne Jones, Managing Director of MAN Diesel and Turbo UK Ltd said; “As a progressive company I fully recognise the importance of all the hard work that has taken place over the years to get us where we are today. As a local, and still working from the same site on Bramhall Moor Lane, I also realise the important part Mirrlees has played in Stockport’s life and community and this book is a wonderful record of a fascinating period in the Company’s history.”

For further details please contact Ian Penney at ian.penney@man.eu or 0161 419 3313.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Quote Report  
Drifter
Re: Mirrlees Memories Rediscovered
1st November 2011 at 4:08PM
Just ordered mine, what a great xmas present it will make for my grandad . as he used to work there !
Hopefully it will bring back some memories as he is now suffering with dementia ,
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
IanP
Villager

IanP
16th November 2011 at 9:18AM
In the photo gallery there are three examples taken from the book. For further details please contact Ian Penney on 0161 419 3313. All proceeds are going directly to this year's Royal British Legion Poppy Appeal.
Belvoir
Townsperson

Belvoir
16th November 2011 at 5:17PM
picked my books up today they are great.. and all the money goes to the poppy appeal xx
Insomniac
Villager

Insomniac
18th December 2011 at 9:50PM
Collected mine also, one will make lovely Christmas present for my dad, and all the money going to an excellent cause as well :)
M Entwistle
Drifter
2nd January 2012 at 8:09PM
Played cricket for Mirrlees in the 70's, many happy memories!
IanP
Villager

IanP
Re: Mirrlees Memories Rediscovered - News Update
24th February 2012 at 9:59AM
In October last year MAN Diesel & Turbo UK Ltd (MDT-UK) reissued a book originally published in 1920 covering life at the old Mirrlees factory on Bramhall Moor Lane during World War I. The book sold at £10.00 per copy and the entire proceeds from the sale were donated to the Royal British Legion (RBL) Poppy Appeal. On February 17th this year, representatives from the RBL, along with two WWII veterans collected a cheque from MDT-UK for £1,204. A big thank you to everyone who supported this appeal. MDT-UK continues to support the Poppy Appeal and copies of the book are still available from Ian Penney on 0161 419 3313.
itsbenners
Idler

itsbenners
29th December 2013 at 11:08AM
Hi there

I am trying to put together a book called 'Cheshire's lost cricket grounds'

A friend mentioned Mirlees CC. I googled and saw you post on here.

If you have a spare 5 minutes, please can you tell me a bit about the club - what league it played in, why it folded, where the ground was, is the ground still there, any pictures etc

I am available on 07812 207571 or andy.bennion@yahoo.co.uk

Many thanks
Andy Bennion

Part of..