Hazel Grove News

A Suburb in Stockport

10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Middlewood way high lane section a joke!

glenandem
Forum Moderator

glenandem
Middlewood way high lane section a joke!
31st January 2016 at 8:14AM
Can any cllr's tell me if there's any plans to sort this section of middlewood near high lane a6 and middlewood station as its been boggy and muddy for years now and nobody seems to do anything about yet this morning running down it I'm watching other runners walkers etc trying to avoid big muddy puddles running up embankments etc and I can't help but wonder why this busy well used route isn't being maintained yet looking at Cheshire east sections they are much better maintained, all year round it's just a boggy mud pit!!
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Expert
Villager

Expert
Re: Middlewood way high lane section a joke!
31st January 2016 at 11:09AM
Can you clarify exactly which bit you mean?

Personally, I haven't found the stretch from High Lane towards Rose Hill that bad until the last few weeks when, I'm sure you'll admit, the weather has been particularly bad. I can't speak for the current condition of the stretch between High Lane, the boundary and beyond.

If there is a significant difference between that part in Stockport and the part in Cheshire, it's worth bearing in mind that the path construction is different. The Stockport stretch was surfaced in limestone and the Cheshire stretch in sandstone so that may be something to do with it. The original surface is now some distance below the accumulated leaf litter, washed-on soil and un-collected dog excrement.

Most of the particularly bad bits are where the surface has worn at pinch points. Bikes/feet/hoofs (or should that be hooves?) wear the surface down and a puddle is formed in wet weather.
newt21964
Villager

newt21964
31st January 2016 at 12:39PM
Cllr Kenny Blair has been working on this. He walked the route with the Greenspace team this week. details here http://marplesouth.yourcllr.com/2016/01/29/update-on-middlewood-way/
Kennyblair
Newcomer

Kennyblair
31st January 2016 at 2:17PM
There is a campaign to improve the Middlewood Way. Phase 1 has already started from Middlewood Station to the A6. There are plans for phase 2, which I and the campaign are lobbying te Council for funding. If they can spend ยฃ1.2m to create new cycle paths, they can surely find some money to maintain this fantastic route.

Check out www.middlewoodway.co.uk and sign up to support the campaign. Also check out my website www.marplesouth.yourcllr.com
glenandem
Forum Moderator

glenandem
31st January 2016 at 4:14PM
Expert Wrote:

Personally, I haven't found the stretch from High Lane towards Rose Hill that bad until the last few weeks when, I'm sure you'll admit, the weather has been particularly bad. I can't speak for the current condition of the stretch between High Lane, the boundary and beyond.

If there is a significant difference between that part in Stockport and the part in Cheshire, it's worth bearing in mind that the path construction is different. The Stockport stretch was surfaced in limestone and the Cheshire stretch in sandstone so that may be something to do with it. The original surface is now some distance below the accumulated leaf litter, washed-on soil and un-collected dog excrement.

Most of the particularly bad bits are where the surface has worn at pinch points. Bikes/feet/hoofs (or should that be hooves?) wear the surface down and a puddle is formed in wet weather.

Hi if your not sure which part I'm talking about you haven't been down there much lol, over 10 years I've been going down there and winter summer it doesn't make a difference, winter there's more puddles but summer it's still boggy and muddy as its that bad it doesn't have time to dry out!!
It's mainly the section from around the a6 heading towards Poynton up towards about the pic nic table area, after that it isn't too bad but also there's a section towards Marple just after the a6 heading Marple way.
Cheshire east sections from Poynton onwards tend to have the bushes trees cut back and the drainage channels at the side cleared I've never seen that on Stockport side, they even have the nicely sculptured animals out of wood lol!
I took my friend for a run this morning and he couldn't believe how bad it was, got home with muddy soaking shoes and socks!!
glenandem
Forum Moderator

glenandem
31st January 2016 at 4:17PM
Kennyblair Wrote:

There is a campaign to improve the Middlewood Way. Phase 1 has already started from Middlewood Station to the A6. There are plans for phase 2, which I and the campaign are lobbying te Council for funding. If they can spend ยฃ1.2m to create new cycle paths, they can surely find some money to maintain this fantastic route.

Check out www.middlewoodway.co.uk and sign up to support the campaign. Also check out my website www.marplesouth.yourcllr.com

Hi kenny thanks for replying back I will definstely go on those sites,I don't get too bothered about many things but for years I've been running on those paths and the negligence on that particular section is a joke, your right it's a fantastic route and very busy, let's hope it gets sorted as it deserves it!!
Expert
Villager

Expert
31st January 2016 at 7:35PM
glenandem Wrote:

Expert Wrote:

Hi if your not sure which part I'm talking about you haven't been down there much lol, over 10 years I've been going down there and winter summer it doesn't make a difference, winter there's more puddles but summer it's still boggy and muddy as its that bad it doesn't have time to dry out!!
It's mainly the section from around the a6 heading towards Poynton up towards about the pic nic table area, after that it isn't too bad but also there's a section towards Marple just after the a6 heading Marple way.
Cheshire east sections from Poynton onwards tend to have the bushes trees cut back and the drainage channels at the side cleared I've never seen that on Stockport side, they even have the nicely sculptured animals out of wood lol!
I took my friend for a run this morning and he couldn't believe how bad it was, got home with muddy soaking shoes and socks!!

If you'd bothered to read my post, you'd realise that you're referring to that part of the trail I have no recent experience with. The trail east of the A6 isn't, in reality, all that bad although it could be improved.
glenandem
Forum Moderator

glenandem
31st January 2016 at 8:35PM
Expert Wrote:

glenandem Wrote:

Expert Wrote:

If you'd bothered to read my post, you'd realise that you're referring to that part of the trail I have no recent experience with. The trail east of the A6 isn't, in reality, all that bad although it could be improved.

Abit like you asking me then to clarify which part I was talking about lol, my original post clearly stated particularly between the a6 and middlewood station but like you I didn't bother to read your post๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
tarboat
Villager

tarboat
31st January 2016 at 8:45PM
The Stockport owned section of the Middlewood Way is a disgrace. They have done virtually no maintenance since it was opened in 1985. When I asked an officer of the council what safety inspections they did I was informed that they did none and waited for the public to complain! Compared with the Cheshire East managed Middlewood Way, the portion in Stockport is just a muddy mess.
boomerang
Villager

boomerang
31st January 2016 at 11:02PM
I have to agree, from Buxton Road to Middlewood Station it is bad, during winter I run it in military Gore-Tex Boots and often sink up to the top of the boots, I enjoy it but for cyclist and walkers it is horrendous. I wondered why it was perfect from the station onwards, now I know...

Part of..