Hazel Grove News

A Suburb in Stockport

10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Memories of Hazel Grove

This Thread is Locked

This Thread has been locked by a forum moderator.

<< 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 23 24 25 >>

Psyserver
Idler

Psyserver
Re: Memories of Hazel Grove
25th October 2008 at 6:32PM
Roger Bailey. I remember living at 6 Chatsworth Road, the steam trains used to run along a high embankment across the road from our house. I attended Norbury Church Primary School. I remember The Blue Lagoon, old air raid shelters I think near the allottments? The fiveways, Devonshire Avenue, and the day the bulldozers ploughed up the fields behind our house to make a park. I remember Robert Cook who was my best friend at school, Susan Shepherd and Denise Daniels.My brother was Peter Bailey and my Sister Elizabeth they both attended Jackson's Lane. I left in 1959 when the family moved to N Ireland. Sadly my brother Peter died in an accident in 1962. I stumbled across this site, and the placenames came flooding back. Hazel Grove was home. My dad was Joe and mum Norma Bailey. I remeber walks in Middlewood and Torchie the battery boy on a huge wooden TV with a tiny screen :)Anyone remember my family?
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Allen1
Top Photographer

Allen1
7th November 2008 at 4:59PM
Can someone tell me please, when was Raymond Henshaw the MP for Hazel Grove. There is a plaque outside the clinic. It states Raymond Henshaw Memorial Garden. This Garden was Provided by Public Subscription In the Memory of Councillor Raymond Henshaw. Was he Labour/Conservative/Liberal ?
Thanks Allen1
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
TwistedBanana
Townsperson

TwistedBanana
10th November 2008 at 12:52PM
Memories of long Summer Days playing with my mates in Happy Valley opposite Hazel Grove High. The games of manhunt would go on for hours in those woods - escaping sliding across the pipe that runs across the river. That pipe always seemed so high - went down there recently and its about 4 ft above the water.

All good memories of Happy Valley were wiped out as we went to high school and were made to do cross country in the freezing sleet and snow all the way to Bramhall High and back - it never seemed the same place after that torture (abuse is a better word).
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
grover
Drifter
6th December 2008 at 8:20PM
Re Councillor Henshaw. I just found an old newspaper that I had kept since it had in it, a photo of my brother at a Hazel Grove Firemen's Dance. The paper is dated February 4, 1965 and in it there is mention of A Memorial Garden to Council Raymond Henshaw at the new Cheshire County clinic and health centre in London Road. It mentions that he died just over 12 months ago. No mention of which party he belonged to. So, if you go to the library, there should be information on him.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Allen1
Top Photographer

Allen1
7th December 2008 at 3:55PM
Hi Grover Thanks for the info
Allen1
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
grover
Townsperson

grover
7th December 2008 at 10:54PM
Hi Allen1 - just realized who I was giving the info to. Hope things are going well with you. Bitterly cold here and not usually like this until January/February. Grover :)
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
grover
Townsperson

grover
7th December 2008 at 11:01PM
Just read in the Norbury Church web page, that John Showell Had passed away. His Mum Jenny and my Mum used to potty train us together!
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Allen1
Top Photographer

Allen1
11th December 2008 at 7:10PM
Hi Grover   
You got all your pressies for Xmas yet?. Do you remeber the Co-op delivering milk by horse and cart. I know they had stables.But does anyone know the horses name in about late 50s..early 60s

Allen1
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
johnny
Unverified

johnny
12th December 2008 at 3:52PM
allen, i worked at the co=op in the mid 50s i remember the horses but not there names but i recall the names of some milkmen namely, harold martin, bob daniels david bowden harold lilly who very rarely got passed our house in grove street at christmas he was drunk by that time, my dad used to just put him on his cart and the horse found his way back to the co-op on his own
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
grover
Townsperson

grover
12th December 2008 at 5:08PM
Don't have many to buy actually since the kids here like M O N E Y - they like to shop on boxing day and get a bargain. And I haven't been good enough this year so I might not get any. I will ask a younger sister about the horse's name since she has a good memory for that sort of thing. I do remember it though. Still not tied down that photo of the Council School. The architecture sure meets the requirements for the front of the school.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  

<< 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 23 24 25 >>

Part of..