Hazel Grove News

A Suburb in Stockport

10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Memories of Hazel Grove

This Thread is Locked

This Thread has been locked by a forum moderator.

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 23 24 25 >>

pete nixon
Drifter
Re: Memories of Hazel Grove
18th August 2008 at 6:37AM
Hi, Memories came flooding back at the mention of your mates, Goodwin, Griffiths, Shard etc. and of course, who could forget one-armed Benjamin Gauden, the french teacher (FOF...Friends-Of-France)/swimming coach/football coach etc.(grubbing for footie boots in the box at the back of the playground. You were lucky to get a matching pair,) laces? never heard of them. same for gardening equipment.
Mr Greenwood the PE teacher...ATTEN....SHUN. in the playground all weathers.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
pete nixon
Drifter
18th August 2008 at 6:44AM
Hi, Jenny Showell, well,well. I used to pal out with Keith Bowen, Nellie,Keith's mum, was Jenny's sister and lived next door.
Keith was my best man. Yes, I had a motor bike, as did Keith, but we did not frequent the Black Cat although I did know it. I lived on Deneside Crescent up until 1965. I now live in Sale.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
rcamblin
Drifter
18th August 2008 at 5:08PM
Hi

Pete Nixon, I must know you as I lived on Clarendon Road. I knew Keith Bowen well, also Roy Martin and Ian Marshall,and Kevin Mellor. I am sure we must have crossed paths. Our name is Camblin I am Rodney my sister is Wendy and my brother is Tony

Regards
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
grover
Townsperson

grover
19th August 2008 at 8:30AM
Pete, it sounds like you lived in the house where the Edwards' family used to live. I can't place you but I also knew Mrs. Bowen and I also knew the family that lived the other side of the passageway - possibly the Yates family.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
pete nixon
Drifter
20th August 2008 at 12:13PM
Hi, I remember Tony, you must be his younger brother, sorry, I can't remember you or your sister.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
pete nixon
Drifter
20th August 2008 at 12:15PM
Hi, I can't remember the Yates, but did you know Herbert Wood? or Bill Smith?
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
grover
Townsperson

grover
20th August 2008 at 6:36PM, Edit: 20th August 2008 at 6:40PM by grover
I remember his older sister Anne and I think they went to live in the US. Anne had red curly hair. There was another sister older than Anne and she lived in the States before the others joined her. The Yates lived there in the late '40's/early 50's if I remember correctly and moved to Poynton. The brook ran through the side of their garden. I knew a lot of people off Deneside, the Johnsons, the Bonds, the Cox family, the Owens, etc. I remember the open part between two houses, that led down to the brook and it was hard to sledge down there. I used to go home from Deneside down that area, cross the brook and inevitably got wet, then up the hill and along the top to Kings Road and then home.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
allen f
Drifter
21st August 2008 at 6:48PM
The two grocers were actually brothers and both have died in the last few years.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
allen f
Drifter
21st August 2008 at 6:52PM
The milk machine, or iron cow as we called it ,was opposite the norbury church enterance and by the grocers. If you put your sixpence in and pressed all three buttons st the same time with a lolly stick you sometimes got 3 milks for price of one.Strawberry milk was superb.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
rcamblin
Drifter
26th August 2008 at 3:37PM
pete yes I am tony's younger brother, Tony now lives in Salt Lake City, Utah USA.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 23 24 25 >>

Part of..