Hazel Grove News

A Suburb in Stockport

10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Memories of Hazel Grove

This Thread is Locked

This Thread has been locked by a forum moderator.

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 23 24 25 >>

peter nixon
Drifter
Re: Memories of Hazel Grove
11th July 2008 at 11:17AM
Hello, I lived at 37 deneside, are you related to Rodney?
I taught him to fall off his motorbike, I wonder if he will remember.I left in 65. Now living in Sale.
I still keep in touch with 'the grove' via John Showell, I don't suppose you know him.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
SANDRA
Idler

SANDRA
12th July 2008 at 10:42AM
Hi I'm new to this board so I thought I'd just pop on and say hello to everyone. I have very fond memories of the grove having lived there from 1980/86. I have 2 daughters Melanie and Abigail who both took part in the carnival when we lived there! Abigail was a rosebud and Melanie runner up in the Princess competition...lovely days and very happy memories.I wonder if ant of you remember us?
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
grover
Townsperson

grover
12th July 2008 at 5:12PM
Hey, I knew Johnny Showell - his mum Jenny and my mum were friends in the '40's and I also worked at the mill in the office when Jenny worked at the mill. Also knew a Pete Nixon but he didn't live in the Valley when we all knew him. He was fond of motor bikes - did Pete frequent the Silver Moon??
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
rcamblin
Idler

rcamblin
19th July 2008 at 7:53AM
Hi everyone
I was one of the bikers that used to frequent the Black Cat Cafe back in 65/67, Best Mate was Stuart Renshaw, me being one of the smaller guys he used to be my bodyguard. Still live in Hazel Grove, I moved into Offerton when I got married, but not for long as I got home sick. My Mum used to go to Jenny Showels house. I have a brother Tony who lives in Salt Lake City USA, and a sister Wendy who is still in the Grove. Would be good for some memories from anyone who knows me.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Enid
Drifter
20th July 2008 at 10:20AM
The hill I whizzed down was called the Cukoo and my sledge could leap the brook. Bonfire night was great. Get as many bangers in the fire and run.... No health and safety etc. Carving hearts on the trees in Torkington Park. Silver Moon milk bar for a play on the jute box. Rosemary Clooney. The fair on Jubilee field.Rides on the Waltzer, the Cages, Dodgers, and roll a penny. Smoking my first Woodbine in the grotty toilets near the Sun pub.Placing a penny on the rail track, sailing in tin bath on the pond at Jacky W rights, arriving home soaking wet,my Dad giving me a swift clout on the head. Great school chums,and Hazel Grove was a wonderful village to live in.1936 to 1960
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
CARL
Drifter
26th July 2008 at 7:09AM
What about Warburtons motor cycles, Hazel Grove Records, Brindleys sweet shop at the Fiveways, the Flamingo Fish bar where we used to meet on our motor cycles in the late 70's, the old dog track behind where Carpet World is now, Grove Uniteds football pitch where Gordon Ford trucks was built & then knocked down, the Bee's Knees pub, Dillons News Agents, Bonfire Nights on the waste ground in Spring Gardens, the fountain outside the Medical Practice near Queens Road not to mention the best hill for skateboarding at Torky Park.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
BlueGrover
Forum Moderator

BlueGrover
30th July 2008 at 5:58AM
Please tell me that there was a milk vending machine some where past Norbury church near where the Nobin is now????
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Drifter
10th August 2008 at 3:24AM
your right about the milk vending machine "blue grover" me and my mate use to call it the "iron cow" (sad name i know)it was located outside the shop that is right next door to norbury church, seem to recall it needing a bit of a kick now and then to get your drink out.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
johnny
Drifter
10th August 2008 at 4:13PM
i was born in grove street went to chapel street where big ben ruled i to went sledging down the cuckoo we where there one day and someone new came and asked if could he have a go on our sledge and we said yes the only trouble was we forgot(on purpose) that about 100 yards from the river you had to put your left foot down to stop you going into tommys brook, i remember one night i did pin heads there and back across the main road before any cars came, i started work at warburtons motor cycle shop then went to the co-op in the butchers with leon bostock frank amos arthur nicholls,at shool we had what we thought was the best football team going, trev sellars ray tubman tony shard ralph goodwin stan grithis. happy days
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
gillysauce
Drifter
16th August 2008 at 5:45AM
I left the grove 22 yrs ago, I still miss it especially as my mum and dad have moved away too.
I remember Fanny Harwood slapping your hand with a ruler if you didnt know your tables.
39p for half a lager in the grapes i celebrated my 15th and 16th in there!!!
sledging down the hill in torky park
fishing on the golf course.
summer play scheme at Torky school.
wing wah chippy in the valley
brook house (derlict old house) nr st simons Haunted deffo.
The Boo but i preferred Rotters
The puss in boots was the cool place to drink.
The fair in july
Dancing down the A6 in the rain doing country dancing!!!god i could go on and on. only been back twice in 20yrs.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 23 24 25 >>

Part of..