Hazel Grove News

A Suburb in Stockport

10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Memories of Hazel Grove

This Thread is Locked

This Thread has been locked by a forum moderator.

<< 1 2 3 4 5 ... 23 24 25 >>

Michelle
Drifter
Re: Memories of Hazel Grove
30th March 2008 at 5:15PM
who is the one who went in the boo in 79? so did I ,do we know any people in common?
Can remember faces forget the names!
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
janet
Drifter
5th May 2008 at 4:32PM
hi michelle, i remember you, we were at jacksons lane at the same time and possibly chapel st ? my name was newton then. tenby eh, what a lovely place to live .regards janet (newton)
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
S.B
Drifter
5th May 2008 at 5:52PM
I remember it 12 years ago... with my Aunty owning the 3 Tonnes, Mum working in the White Hart and me being on the White Hart float for the parade through the Grove onto Torky park for the funfair :)

I drove through last summer and it has changed quite a bit.

0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
john keating
Drifter
9th June 2008 at 8:39AM
the cock inn what a pub indead drank some beer there lived in the grove for 40 years now live in brisbane aus
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Cyclist57
Idler

Cyclist57
18th June 2008 at 4:27AM
Ok..here goes for remembering things!

The Golden Fryer chippy opposite the Rising Sun pub - great grub!

A million bikes resting against the Black cat cafe`s windows on a Sunday morning...how did they never break the glass?

The Flamingo chippy at Fiveways and it being a hang-out for all waifs and strays.

Jacksons lanes School garden with Mr Cullum(spudhead)taking class and all of us bored beyond.

Any memories of Jacksons Jailhouse (1969 -1974)

Bramhall outdoor swiming baths (sorry I know its not Hazel Grove but I endured it)....it was really cold!

Brookes cycle shop on the A6.

Lennons supermarket...my mum dragged be there frequently sadly as it involved carrying bags home!

The library...quiet,smelly,and the dull thud of books being stamped out.

Halcyon days....

0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
grover
Townsperson

grover
18th June 2008 at 5:11PM, Edit: 18th June 2008 at 5:13PM by grover
Would that chippy be the one we oldies used to know as Lawton's? Think it was near the churchyard wall. Remember a Faith Lawton. Think the property was owned by Mr.Grundy. In fact, I think the Grundy's owned a lot of the properties in that area. Remember also Wainwright's paper shop (think the daughter went to Canada) and Harrisons. Still remember our Co-op number - 3063.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
sundave
Townsperson

sundave
20th June 2008 at 7:40AM
Grover how refreshing to hear of memories like that, they don't write numbers like that anymore eh!
i've only been in the grove about 25yrs but i remember the co-op being the clearing centre for tools and i once bought the entire stock of stanley knives for next to nothing (used to be a carpet fitter) and sold them on site for a tidy profit, then they turned it into a shopping giant and ruined it.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
grover
Townsperson

grover
20th June 2008 at 9:33AM
As you grow older, your old memories are easier to recall than what happended yesterday - guess that is why as you get older you like to be in touch with people from your younger days, eh? Just found a school friend from the early '50's. Remember a Pauline Norton who used to live/work at the Sun. Don't know if her sister or parents ran the pub. She worked at the same company my husband did in Manchester. Remember those grotty toilets across the street and the Copper Kettle on the other side of the road. Remember togogganing down the fields where the council houses are now on Hazelwood Road. We went from the top field and if you asked your brother nicely, he would shine the runners on your toboggan so that you could end up in the brook. Oh to be young again!
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Grover65
Townsperson

Grover65
21st June 2008 at 7:33PM
Cyclist57 Wrote:

Lennons supermarket...my mum dragged be there frequently sadly as it involved carrying bags home!

The library...quiet,smelly,and the dull thud of books being stamped out.

Halcyon days....

Lennons! OMG, I'd forgotten Lennons! And do you remember the 'Santa' display on top of the porch of the Golden Door (bakery)?

Ahh, the old Co-op - I still miss it now. As a kid, the toy department was heaven. I think the food department was the only one I didn't bother visiting on a regular basis.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
cyclist 57
Drifter
22nd June 2008 at 8:17AM
Whatever happened to the Davenport Cinema?
I saw countless films there and also went to the Pantomime every year.
In particular I saw Jimmy Jewel and Hilda Baker in about 1973?...i think,and it was quite good.
Also remember the woods at the top of Mill lane (middlewood),and across from that the ever-smoking sulphur smelling slag heaps...phew it stank!
(running across the farmers fields was like a re run from `The great escape`)
What else then?
The old greyhound track, Simpson sausage factory,High Lane,and for something really way-back....does anyone remember `Dottys` field?....this was near Norbury hall Primary/junior school on Eyam rd???
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  

<< 1 2 3 4 5 ... 23 24 25 >>

Part of..