Hazel Grove News

A Suburb in Stockport

10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Memories of Hazel Grove

This Thread is Locked

This Thread has been locked by a forum moderator.

<< 1 2 3 ... 22 23 24 25 >>

DibDab
Drifter
Re: Memories of Hazel Grove
9th September 2011 at 2:27PM
Who can remember getting your skateboard to take down the Valley hill, Conker trees in the old brook house. Which was haunted, well everyone said it was when you were seven. Toffee Apples at the green grocers in the valley shops. The Chinese Chippy who made fantastic gravy! Always looking forward to the Torkey Fair during June and then a couple of weeks later the carnival.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
jim dale
Drifter
13th September 2011 at 7:43PM
Used to live in Commercial rd 1st @103/105 later @ 119/121.Both were greengrocers shops.Between those addresses I lived @12 Chapel St.opposite the school gate.My sister was Edith,she passed away afew years ago.I had a scolarship to Stockport Junior Technical College,which I left early.Some of you may remember me going round with a horse & cart with greengroceries.I spent 7 years in theFleet Air Arm,worked @ Salford Electric in Chestergate & Heywood,also @ AVRO Woodford.I married a Newquay girl in 1953 & we moved to Newquay in 1961.We are both 79 & surviving.Best wishes to anyone who remembers me.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
johnny
Drifter
15th September 2011 at 8:32PM
hello JIM DALE, yes i remember you when you had a greengrocery round i asked you one day after school if i could come with you i was about 7 and you said will it be ok with your mum i said oh yes she will be cleaning in the school till 6 me exspecting to be back by that time but it was about 7-15 when we got back and as i had told no one where i was going they had all been looking for me and was just about to call the police, Jim can you please email me at john.newell8@virginmedia.com with your Brians phone number or email address,thankyou.2fhcc
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Gigoguy
Drifter
18th September 2011 at 9:05AM
I would like to start a Hazel Grove reminiscence group where people can come and remember the grove as it was and maybe influence how it will become.

I work from La Roberto 185 London Rd every weekday from 9am-1pm

If anyone would like to come along and join in they are more than welcome.

If you have any photographs, movies or memorabilia from momentous events pleae bring them along.

Also can anyone help me make contact with the person responsible for the civic hall?

0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
julie byrom
Drifter
7th October 2011 at 11:36PM
Hi Grover
You're right about douglas rd, Julie Byrom. We used to live at Highfields - number 3. Mum was Jessie Gosling, now died. Sister Jo still lives in the grove but I live in new zealand.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
grover
Townsperson

grover
8th October 2011 at 3:36PM
Remember you and Jo well, Julie. Sister Syb was Jo's friend. I actually saw Jo in Stockport a few years ago. I was with Syb or I wouldn't have known her. Think Jo was going to N.Z. shortly afterwards. Remember your parents and your family further down Douglas Road. Loved your Mum. Your uncle used to walk us up Lawrence Road when it was dark, and we were scared to go on our own! I will tell Syb because I am sure she thought Jo was going to N.Z. to live.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
grover
Townsperson

grover
8th October 2011 at 3:56PM
Is Jo on Facebook???
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
grover
Townsperson

grover
8th October 2011 at 4:00PM
There was an old photo of you somewhere. Taken in your backgarden and I think it was a birthday. You, Jo and Syb and you were eating cake. We used to have a large copy of the photo but not sure who has it these days.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Belvoir
Townsperson

Belvoir
12th October 2011 at 3:15PM
Guest Wrote:

Used to live in Commercial rd 1st @103/105 later @ 119/121.Both were greengrocers shops.Between those addresses I lived @12 Chapel St.opposite the school gate.My sister was Edith,she passed away afew years ago.I had a scolarship to Stockport Junior Technical College,which I left early.Some of you may remember me going round with a horse & cart with greengroceries.I spent 7 years in theFleet Air Arm,worked @ Salford Electric in Chestergate & Heywood,also @ AVRO Woodford.I married a Newquay girl in 1953 & we moved to Newquay in 1961.We are both 79 & surviving.Best wishes to anyone who remembers me.

Hello Cousin Jim xx
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
23rd October 2011 at 12:23PM
re: Albert Shepherd post from January

Remember me? Cynthia Macmillian (Alec's sister) 10 Garthland road. It was lovely to read all your memories. I remember them all. i would love to know how winifred is and how she is, please remember me to her. I have been in the Isle of man 38 Years now. you really brought The Grove back to me. You were right growing up there was fantastic, i've been back recently and was not impressed with the way it has gone but that's the way things go isn't it!
I also remember your tree in the garden and when it was knocked down, do you remember Mrs Shaylar? I think she was next door but one to you, your mum was very good to her. I think we all have a keepsake off her. Pity we lost Alec in 1997 he is missed so mucch, he now has 3 Grandchildren that he never saw.

Can't believe the shops that are coming into the Grove now, it's certainly not a village any more, we certainly had the best time of it.

Do you remember the bonfire across the road before the houses were built? and the Booth girls who used to organise it??? I thought it was great fun.

Thanks for putting your memories on here, it's brought it all back to me.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  

<< 1 2 3 ... 22 23 24 25 >>

Part of..