Hazel Grove News

A Suburb in Stockport

10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Memories of Hazel Grove

This Thread is Locked

This Thread has been locked by a forum moderator.

<< 1 2 3 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 23 24 25 >>

carl harrison
Drifter
Re: Memories of Hazel Grove
20th December 2010 at 9:25AM
i lived at 44 commercial rd upto 1979 and had a horse at stan james stables on beenleach, i remember the little old graveyard next to the sorting office at the lights on commercial rd,where did they put the graves when they made it into a carpark ?
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
grover
Townsperson

grover
21st December 2010 at 8:40AM, Edit: 21st December 2010 at 8:41AM by grover
And do you remember the row of old houses that used to face the graveyard? Wonder when they were pulled down. I can't find any old photos of them, but I do remember them from the 1940's.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Ray
Drifter
24th December 2010 at 10:59AM
Not sure exactly where the graveyard was "next to the sorting office" but, if its now a car park, its likely that they simply tarmaced over them.
Ray (ex. of Commecial Road and other places in the Grove)
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
johnny
Drifter
28th December 2010 at 3:08PM
hello grover, the houses that faced the church yard were called whitelegs buildings, rosie hall and ronnie frank herbert and alice millward lived there, alice married norman birch whos dad had a coal round they lived in grove street and the last i heard alice was living in hazel street, happy new year to all.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
grover
Townsperson

grover
28th December 2010 at 7:46PM, Edit: 28th December 2010 at 7:47PM by grover
Thanks Johnny. I should have remembered they were Whitelegg's Buildings. I remember playing there as a child but not who lived there.   Here is some info I found:

Quote:

The Ebenezer Chapel (the first Congregational Church) was built in 1827 on the corners of Short Street and Lyme Street (off Commercial Road next to where the Post Sorting Office is today). The Chapel was the result of a mission started by Theophilus Davies in Bullock Smithy in 1823 when he preached to people in the backyard of his house. A new church (the Second Congregational) was built on Commercial Road in 1883 (next to the Albion Mill), resulting in this building becoming a Sunday School with 350 scholars and 28 teachers. The graveyard was the final resting place for many Hazel Grove "worthies". The church was pulled down in the mid-1980s and replaced with the United Reformed Church - the graveyard is now its car park. Unquote.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Michelle Duckett
Drifter
3rd January 2011 at 3:29PM
This is anthony Higgins from off Clarendon Road, I was a friend or Rodney's, hope you are well ... tony Higgins
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
rcamblin
Drifter
3rd January 2011 at 3:44PM
hi Rod.... Tony Higgins... just found this page from my son..great our young days... clarendon road wreck, second fields, valley resor, good times
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
3rd January 2011 at 10:59PM
Allen 1 , your Blogg of Novembner 2008. I expect that you now have the informaton you wanted about Councllor Henshaw. I have just joined this site. My recollections, having lived in Offerton Road from 1940 until 1958, are of a large gentleman who drove a Wolseley moor car ( not unlike Foyle's on the TV series but with mre rust), I don't think he ever was an MP but believe he was a long serving Conservative Councillor. He was a regular at tthe Snug (now demolished) at the back of the Bull's Head where I used to go and pick my father up most evenings where he had been refreshing himself after the arduous train journey from Manchester before atempting the hill up Torkington Road. My father bought the car from him, an unwise investment it turned out to be!
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Allen1
Top Photographer

Allen1
4th January 2011 at 4:15PM
Thanks for the info David
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
albertshepherd
Villager

albertshepherd
5th January 2011 at 11:58AM, Edit: 6th January 2011 at 7:17AM by albertshepherd
Having read all the memories I really dont know where to start. Like most -born there, lived there upto twenty odd years, got married there( girl from Poynton Lesley Hulland we are no longer together and quite honestly had the best time growing up that anyone could imagine.
here goes:-
Napier st school--cried all my first day
The Council School Chapel street---Big Ben (one arm) Ms Harwood ,Miss Blackwell, Miss Eckersley( tasty lady in her gym kit), Mr Hully, Mr Preston,Chippy Wood, Miss Hunt( I cannot remeber her predecessor-Ms Derbyshire I think- but I can still see her)
The Congrational Church and the Congos Sunday school--pantos In the early sixties there was a useless Youth Club (no equipment) so we moved onto Wesley Stret and had to go to church once a month.
Franks Brown's(erm), Beeleys Cafe/Bread shop,then the Bamboo,The Hardware store, Bennisons Fish and chips,the Off license on the corner which took back the bottles we had pinched from round the back. They sold us beer at 15 years of age.Barbers sweet shop,all the pubs but Norman at the Three Tuns used to serve us at 15/16 and let us go into the back room and play cards, Millwards shop, Dr Kay Bob Bells and his Cars sales on Chester Rd(my first car Ford Anglia for 39).
I can go on for ever I seem to be able to remember every Shop--By the way The Black Cat used to be Grundy' cafe.
Names:-
My sister is Winifred Shepherd
Wendy Camblin how could I forget you and Tony your Gran lived down the road from me on Garthland Rd. She was next door to Alec McMillan(he died very early). Do you remember Pete Clarke and Jacky Hulme
Anttony Higgings--I lived at the back of youI remember your sister Veronica.
Tony Nixon -I should know you but cannot place you.
Michelle Ducket you were the youngster but Rodney and Margret were my era.Do you remember Dave Bond)
The Grove Show--I saw my first naked lady there they used to let the young lads to the reveue tent but we paid full price- one shilling we only thought it was fair.

My mates were Les Hadfield(killed in a car crash), Pete Kilday (Kildays paper shop) Kenny Downes(Talbot st), Dave Jones (Grove Street plumbers son),Dave Iddles (Deneside Crescent), Pete Noble and Barry Millward.
Went to Moseley Hall on the free bus.Trev Yapp, Pete Barber, Jon Jackson
Girls names I remember:-
Elizabeth Roberts, Norma Geary, Linda Tweedale,Dorothy Sharrocks( the Midland Cafe opposite Torky Park,Margret Hulme(Congos), Barbara Carrodus,Carole Savage, Ann Lightfoot, Freda Chandler( who I saw on the site--I went to school with your brother Geoff and I seem to recollect some sadness there).Voirey (Bill and Mary's daughter from the Grapes who married Les Hadfield). Ah the Grapes!
The Bughut, the Laundrey, the Valley Mill. the Cuckoo, Mr Kinsey, The opening of the first Indian restaurent
Where do I stop before I bore you all.
WHAT A PLACE!!!!
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  

<< 1 2 3 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 23 24 25 >>

Part of..