Hazel Grove News

A Suburb in Stockport

10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Memories of Hazel Grove

This Thread is Locked

This Thread has been locked by a forum moderator.

<< 1 2 3 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 23 24 25 >>

xhg
Drifter
Re: Memories of Hazel Grove
7th June 2010 at 5:24PM
grover Wrote:

I just did a search under "Hazel Grove" and came up with 2 groups. Just did another search and there is a now a third group. Maybe Adora can help in how to do it?? Lots of photos on these sites.

cheers Grover, I could only find the bamboo til 2 club but I'm not too conversant with facebook, will keep looking though.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
xhg
Drifter
7th June 2010 at 5:41PM
Guest Wrote:

NOW YOU MENTION IT xhg I THINK YOU ARE RIGHT, IT WAS A VW GARAGE BUT I HAD FORGOTTEN UNTIL YOU JOGGED MY OLD GREY MATTER.

Definitely remember the garage itself Dave, set back off the road, low wall across the front I think, I remember going there during bob a job week, not sure if I got anything though.
Just seem to recall a VW sign on the front of the place.

Also remember Burns & Hudson near the Rising Sun, my dad got his first new car from there, Mk3 Cortina.

Who remembers the North East Cheshire Show when it was, I assume, at its peak, late 60s/early 70s? Was taliking with a pal this afternoon about the big marquees they had for the dog/cat/flower shows, used to go on the Sunday morning after and climb to the top of the marquees and slide all the way down the roof, until the parkie turned up.

My mate mentioned the tug o war, I'd forgotten that, very competitive it was too.
I had a decent childhood in Hazel Grove, always plenty of mischief to get up to.

0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Julie
Drifter
8th June 2010 at 11:13PM
The facebook page that people are referring to is called memories of growing up in Hazel Grove. There is a great photo of the tug of war that someone mentioned. Also plenty of school photos etc and photos asking if people know who is on photo. Very interesting!
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
grover
Townsperson

grover
9th June 2010 at 5:15PM
The other one is called Hazel Grove Residents and Survivors and it also has lots of photos to see.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
xhg
Drifter
12th June 2010 at 12:48PM
Guest Wrote:

The facebook page that people are referring to is called memories of growing up in Hazel Grove. There is a great photo of the tug of war that someone mentioned. Also plenty of school photos etc and photos asking if people know who is on photo. Very interesting!

Thanks for that Julie, don't know how I would have found it if you hadn't posted, not really facebook literate.
Thoroughly enjoyed browsing the pictures, recognised quite a few faces too, found one which included my auntie, she was 70 just a few weeks ago,in the photo she looks to be about 10 at the most, haven't spoken to her about it yet.
Also knew a good few of the people who have left comments, good memories.
Thanks again Julie.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
xhg
Drifter
12th June 2010 at 12:56PM
grover Wrote:

The other one is called Hazel Grove Residents and Survivors and it also has lots of photos to see.

Cheers Grover, like the other page there are lots of photos there, the carnival ones were particularly interesting, it used to be such a big day in the late 60s/early 70s, the show at the park was good too.
My favourite photo on there has to be the one of Gary Chatterton in Warburtons showroom, instantly recognisable, wonder who the girl was.

Thanks for the tip.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
johhny
Drifter
23rd June 2010 at 3:26PM
Hi, Regarding Warburtons motor shop i started work there in sept 1955 after leaving chapel street school(longlive big ben) and for those who never meet him you were lucky,anyway going back to warburtons the 3 brothers who ran it were Derek Reg Cliff, Derek made a trails bike and as you know lived on Chester Road and you could here him from the shop when he started it up the police told him it was to loud and he had to scrap it, i recall one day after dinner we had a mechanic called Cyril Lever he at that time lived on overton ave the job of a mechanic was to road test any bike they had repaired he was sat on a 500 bsa and kept reving it up but he let the clutch out to soon and went straight throw the big plate glass window and smashing into about 5 brand new bikes derek was not happy, derek died i think the way he would have wanted to on the Isle of Man tt course flat out.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
steve chorlton
Drifter
5th July 2010 at 5:56PM
one of my fondest memories is of going to the north east cheshire show in the 1960/s with my dad and brother early in the morning just after the judging to look every thing before the crowds arrvied then going to my great uncles shop at the entrance to the park wainwrights newsagetnts and toyshop to buy american comics then returning in the afternoon with the whole family to enjoy the main events and the fair it was a sad day when the show finally came to an end forever it is much missed by myself
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
mke bradley
Drifter
11th July 2010 at 7:43AM
rember migures shop next to anchor and mrs booths ironmongers nest to sparefields witch is were the co op carpark is now where stepping hill maturnity is was a wheat fields lol
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
RichT
Townsperson

RichT
11th July 2010 at 10:21AM
I remember McGuires, Herb Williams, Bennisons chippy, Mrs Booth's was a bit like the shop on 'Last of the summer wine' lol.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  

<< 1 2 3 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 23 24 25 >>

Part of..