A Suburb in Stockport

10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Mayor of Stockport

ComfortablyNumb
Villager

ComfortablyNumb
Mayor of Stockport
29th January 2014 at 5:33PM
Seems to be a done deal. Mr Hogg will be the new mayor of Stockport in May 2014. I knew he was up for mayor, just thought there would be more of a process involved. Does anyone know what the criteria is for becoming a mayor.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
slim
Townsperson

slim
Re: Mayor of Stockport
29th January 2014 at 6:46PM
In my best victor meldrew voice
I don't believe it !
Who's next billy brooks ?
glenandem
Forum Moderator

glenandem
29th January 2014 at 10:15PM
basically you have to be loud,ignorant of what people tell you and able to yell here ye here ye!
what do we actually need a mayor for these days when we need to cut back on unneeded things and we dont even vote them in anymore!
Norma_Stitts
Supervised

Norma_Stitts
30th January 2014 at 1:46AM
I think the cynics that have posted so far should be ashamed of themselves.

Whatever your political views are, to show the guy such a lack of respect for the work that he has done over a few decades is nothing short of disgusting.

People on here will bash him either way and do not give any credit for the service that he has given to this town. If it is the case that he is to be Mayor, I would like to be the first on this forum to congratulate him and I am sure you all know that I am left wing in my views.

It's no wonder he doesn't post on here now, like many others. If he posts you all slate him, if he doesn't you slate him for not contributing? The poor guy cannot win.
2 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
glenandem
Forum Moderator

glenandem
30th January 2014 at 7:19AM
Your actually right there Norma, I was only joking around but seriously in these times of austerity due we need a mayor, what do they actually do and why don't the people vote them in rather than the dark forces that run our town hall?
Is it a lib dem thing that gets passed around?, what party was the last few from?
Coleman
Forum Moderator

Coleman
30th January 2014 at 9:02AM
I might be wrong here, but i think the mayor is basically the leader of the council alike David Cameron is the leader of the Conservatives, so in a similar vain its a role voted for by the members.

Obviously in SMBC's case it's still (just) Lib dem controlled so the mayor is almost always going to be a Lib dem.

I don't think its a position we need in the sense that if we had no mayor i don't think it would make blind bit of difference, and to be honest i'm not sure they do anything other and to be a symbol or mast head for the council.

I suppose if its going to be a lib dem i'd much rather it be Kevin than some of his cohorts, and fair play to him for if nothing else but getting some recognition for his years of service. Which is one thing that as i have always said is something no one can knock him for. Whether you agree with him or not, he has worked hard and tried his best for many years, and thats a hell of a lot more than you can say for a lot of the other councillors he have!
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
30th January 2014 at 9:47AM
I have to agree Coleman. He's the only one (in his party at least) who has ever done anything other than disappear when they're needed. And that unfortunately includes Mr Stunnell. Congratulations Kevin.
sam39
Villager

sam39
30th January 2014 at 9:48AM
At one time councils were all organised in the same way based on the committee system. The mayor was the chairman of the full council and acted for a year at a time. Now councils are organised in different ways. Some have directly elected mayors who have all the executive power (eg Boris Johnson). Others, like Stockport, have a cabinet system where a few councillors share executive power. The Leader of Stockport council is Cllr Sue Derbyshire - she is the 'equivalent' of the Prime Minister in the cabinet system. The Leader always comes from the majority party. The Mayor is the ceremonial head of Stockport Council. He, or she, is the personification of the town, and the job rotates amongst the councillors on an annual basis. Party affiliation is put to one side during this period. I am sure Cllr Hogg will be a dignifed and active mayor during his period of office. The way Stockport Council is arranged does bear upon the number of councillors needed which has been raised on another thread.. The three per ward was based upon a full committee system. Now we have an Executive Cabinet system do we need so many?
1 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
vulcanman
Townsperson

vulcanman
30th January 2014 at 10:52PM
Let's also not forget Mrs Hogg who will be involved as well ... She will do a good job.

Part of..