10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

London 2012 Olympic Torch Route

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 >>

Robot69
Citizen

Robot69
Re: London 2012 Olympic Torch Route
24th May 2012 at 11:24AM
You seem to be obsessed about Adidas and conspiracy theories and a downer on the Olympics where your lack of knowledge is showing you up.

There may be a link for the torch going to Adidas given that Adidas is a major sponsor however, given that the torch needs to be in Ashton by 10am it will be a short bit of publicity.

As for your obsession for the status of Adidas building, why would there be articulated lorries going in if it is just a HQ and the warehousing has clearly be moved - unless the lorry driver forgot.

On to the Olympics; 'handful of medals', yes, Sir Chris Hoy got a handful of medals on his own and the rest of the GB team got a hell of a lot more. The GB team is expected to get even more - that's the target - so time will tell.

I try to ignore your posts but on this case I couldn't contain myself. If you don't know your facts don't contribute!!
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Onion
Villager

Onion
24th May 2012 at 11:45AM
Coleman, either you are not getting the point or you refuse to be wrong.

adidas HQ Market North includes UK, Ireland the Nethlerlands etc. There are not just a 'few admin staff' here.

Look up Reebok CrossFit on google/youtube if you are genuinely really interested.
Coleman
Forum Moderator

Coleman
24th May 2012 at 12:45PM
Robot69 Wrote:

You seem to be obsessed about Adidas and conspiracy theories and a downer on the Olympics where your lack of knowledge is showing you up.

The first time Adidas was mention the poster implied that the touch was coming here because of Adidas and their huge presence on the estate! Only, they don't have a huge presence here any more! Granted they still have the HQ offices here, which we were told when doing work on the new(ish) site was also moving (obviously they changed their mind!

Then someone comes along and tries to claim that the warehouse is still full and that 600 people work on site! I can see in part of the warehouse and although i admit i can't see that its totally empty, i can see that its at least partly empty. Also there is no way on this planet that 600 people work there, there simply is not that many people coming and going!

Robot69 Wrote:

why would there be articulated lorries going in if it is just a HQ and the warehousing has clearly be moved - unless the lorry driver forgot.

That's the point there isn't lorrys coming and going, because there are no goods stored in the warehouse any more! It's empty except for this mysterious crossfit box that is supposedly held there 4 times a day!
Incidentally a Google search seems to indicate that it is either a brand of clothing or some fitness programme in america! I assume in this case they are referring to some fitness classes they hold there! Maybe that accounts for the occasional party i can hear going on in the old loading bays!

Robot69 Wrote:

On to the Olympics; 'handful of medals', yes, Sir Chris Hoy got a handful of medals on his own and the rest of the GB team got a hell of a lot more. The GB team is expected to get even more - that's the target - so time will tell.

In the last 5 olympic games we only managed:-

1992 Barcelona 20 Medals   Rank: 13
1996 Atlanta   15 Medals   Rank: 36
2000 Sydney    28 Medals   Rank: 10
2004 Athens    30 Medals   Rank: 10
2008 Beijing   47 Medals   Rank: 4

I'll admit we have been improving in recent games but we are hardly top end competitors at the Olympics! I would be surprised if we even manage to close to the haul form Beijing!
Even if we won all the medals though, it doesn't change the fact it's a huge waste of money! Spending billions of pounds so a few people can run around and jump up and down, etc. is not a sensible investment when money is in abundant supply, it's plain stupid and wasteful when like now it's not!
Silenzi
Townsperson

Silenzi
24th May 2012 at 12:51PM
Trouble is, we bid for the games when everything was rosy. Before the bankers screwed the economy and Double Dip Dave made it worse.

So we're stuck with it. Chris Hoy's medals are going to mean naff all if you've just been made redundant.
Onion
Villager

Onion
24th May 2012 at 1:51PM
Coleman - the torch IS coming to Pepper Rd because adidas HQ is here, I can tell you that for a fact.
However, its not for 'publicity' as such, or not that I'm aware of anyway.

I did say 600 people work for adidas, but as in 250-300 on pepper rd and the same at Trafford Park distribution centre.

As for Crossfit, they dont just hold this in the US. In fact the CrossFit championship is being held in Centenary Square in Birmingham on the bank hol weekend.

Lets not argue now :) its too nice a day x
Coleman
Forum Moderator

Coleman
24th May 2012 at 1:58PM
Onion Wrote:

Lets not argue now :) its too nice a day x

Now that is something i can defiantly agree with!

I've been doing some research on this crossfit thing and what i have found is quite interesting!

From what i can see it appears to be a fitness programme! Is that right?

It also looks like this box that has been mentioned is in fact a gym in the old loading bays!

I must say, being keen to regain my late teens fitness levels (if that's even possible) it is something that i want to find out more about. Don't suppose you have any links to sites that may shed more light on it?
Silenzi
Townsperson

Silenzi
1st June 2012 at 12:03PM
Back on topic (hopefully), do we know who's carrying the torch that day?

Is it a local 'sleb, some do-gooder, or a corporate sponsor?
Nemo
Drifter
1st June 2012 at 3:12PM
Silenzi Wrote:

Back on topic (hopefully), do we know who's carrying the torch that day?

Is it a local 'sleb, some do-gooder, or a corporate sponsor?

That's if it ain't nicked and sold for scrap on it's way through Liverpool ;)
William_Wragg
Hazel Grove MP

William_Wragg
1st June 2012 at 4:50PM
I think there'll be a good turnout. I've been quite surprised by the level of interest where the torch has been already, given what some were predicting about no one being interested.

shelly87
Drifter
2nd June 2012 at 9:34AM
What time does it get to pepper road???? Anyone know???
<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 >>

Part of..