10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Is Marple to posh for an ASDA store?

<< 1 2 >>

Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
Is Marple to posh for an ASDA store?
31st August 2012 at 3:43PM
I’ve just read the latest News Extra leaflet from Andrew Stunnell, the heading reads “Asda supermarket could cause gridlock for Marple”. The article then goes on to say that local councillors have joined in the battle to stop this supermarket from being built.

Am I the only one that feels that this is a very narrow minded view on behalf of our local Councillor(s);what about all the positive attributes that an ASDA store would bring to the people of Marple, like very much needed extra jobs for the local community.

As for the Councillor(s)being behind this campaign, wasn’t it not so long ago that they were strongly behind and promoting the positive attributes of introducing an ASDA store to the Grove? However back then they choose to overlook any gridlock issues and have done so since.

I feel that Marple residents are are more than happy to drive to ASDA/Sainsbury in the Grove, polluting and causing more traffic to our streets, as they proudly display their stop ASDA car stickers, clearly outlining their views, that they really don't want an ASDA in their village, but they don't mind using our ASDA store.

Is the real reason behind this campaign just sheer snobbery and that some Marple residents think that their to posh for an ASDA.

0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Coleman
Forum Moderator

Coleman
Re: Is Marple to posh for an ASDA store?
31st August 2012 at 4:11PM
I suspect that you are spot on with that assessment!

The key part its "think they are posh"!

In reality it's just another case of NIMBYisum!
William_Wragg
Hazel Grove MP

William_Wragg
31st August 2012 at 4:14PM, Edit: 31st August 2012 at 4:20PM by William_Wragg
Serenity Wrote:

I’ve just read the latest News Extra leaflet from Andrew Stunnell, the heading reads “Asda supermarket could cause gridlock for Marple”. The article then goes on to say that local councillors have joined in the battle to stop this supermarket from being built.

Am I the only one that feels that this is a very narrow minded view on behalf of our local Councillor(s);what about all the positive attributes that an ASDA store would bring to the people of Marple, like very much needed extra jobs for the local community.

As for the Councillor(s)being behind this campaign, wasn’t it not so long ago that they were strongly behind and promoting the positive attributes of introducing an ASDA store to the Grove? However back then they choose to overlook any gridlock issues and have done so since.

I feel that Marple residents are are more than happy to drive to ASDA/Sainsbury in the Grove, polluting and causing more traffic to our streets, as they proudly display their stop ASDA car stickers, clearly outlining their views, that they really don't want an ASDA in their village, but they don't mind using our ASDA store.

Is the real reason behind this campaign just sheer snobbery and that some Marple residents think that their to posh for an ASDA.

The Poynton Tescos proposal was quite similar a few years. A wave of protest, then the acceptance of Waitrose.

But more seriously, quoting from Mr Stunnell's newspaper, "We've all seen the traffic and blight problems caused by supermarkets in Hazel Grove. It's time to learn those lessons".

Indeed- it was his councillors who granted planning permission for the said supermarkets and didn't think ahead for the "traffic and blight problems".

Obviously, I have a jaundiced view of our MP, so I must declare an interest, but make up your own minds.
vulcanman
Townsperson

vulcanman
31st August 2012 at 4:42PM
Well said William.
SatiricalSloth
Top Photographer

SatiricalSloth
31st August 2012 at 6:18PM
I remember a photo in the newspaper of the "Say No" campaign, it said something like "say no to supermarkets" with an Iceland in the background. Gave me a chuckle.

From what little I've heard of this campaign, it's the typical "not in my backyard" argument.
glenandem
Forum Moderator

glenandem
31st August 2012 at 11:12PM
Wow seems there's a lot of people that share this view, I too think that these locals think its ok to help cause more congestion in the grove but wouldn't be happy or want anouther supermarket in they're town?
Surely it would help traffic more in the grove if they did have a asda in marple not just for local marple residents but people in the surrounding areas like new mills etc!
That cllr really needs to take a look in the mirror!
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
1st September 2012 at 7:15AM, Edit: 1st September 2012 at 8:27AM by Serenity
Might I just add a comment on the aforementioned leaflet which Andrew kindly sent out to us all and say that what annoyed me even more about the leaflet was that within the section that clearly asked for our support in getting behind the ‘stop Asda in Marple’ campaign was the lack of a tick box to indicate that YES we are actually in favour of ASDA going ahead in Marple.

As a result I can only conclude from this leaflet that it can only generate yes responses. How therefore can he really expect to gage how people in the surrounding areas truly feel about this issue.

Oh and while we’re on the subject of support where was Andrew's support for the Grove when two major stores were allowed to spill out onto what was already a busy major road, and what’s been his response since... build a relief road that will bring even more Gridlock nightmares to the Grove.

Well I’m not sure if Andrew ever reads our little forum, but I know that some of councillors in his party do, so here’s my response ........Anything that has a small chance of taking some of the traffic away from the Grove and providing much needed employment for the community gets a clear YES vote from me, just wish Andrew had included a YES box to tick in his leaflet.....Perhaps not the response he's looking for......
Robot69
Citizen

Robot69
1st September 2012 at 11:28AM, Edit: 1st September 2012 at 11:29AM by Robot69
'Marple too Posh for an ASDA' - its got a COOP FFS!

As for gridlock, I'd argue (as I don't have actual facts, but nor do you) that the central stretch of the A6 hasn't become gridlock because of Sainsburys. I suspected at the time that the addition of ASDA would have been a nightmare, especially at Xmas but with the road layout and the fact you only see a handful of cars in the ASDA car park ASDA hasn't had an impact either.

As for NIMBY approach, you are all guilty of it - we don't want traffic in our village (not that its a village) - and some also got there knickers in a twist over the phone mast at the Spar.

There has been discussion on here about how to improve HG and the state of the empty shops. The regeneration of HG relies on increasing footfall. The more people coming to HG, the more they are likely to spend, then they may also venture out as part of a Sainsbury shopping trip to, say the petshop, then onto one of the coffee bars, oh and whilst we are here I need to get a new tyre (examples obviously).

To improve HG, you need to increase people coming to shop here to encourage other retailers to come to HG that in turn increases traffic. If you decrease traffic (shopping that is) then HG becomes a ghost town (or village or whatever its called) then more and more retailers disappear then you get more empty shops - you can't have it both ways!
Coleman
Forum Moderator

Coleman
3rd September 2012 at 9:43AM
Robot69 Wrote:

There has been discussion on here about how to improve HG and the state of the empty shops. The regeneration of HG relies on increasing footfall. The more people coming to HG, the more they are likely to spend, then they may also venture out as part of a Sainsbury shopping trip to, say the petshop, then onto one of the coffee bars, oh and whilst we are here I need to get a new tyre (examples obviously).

To improve HG, you need to increase people coming to shop here to encourage other retailers to come to HG that in turn increases traffic. If you decrease traffic (shopping that is) then HG becomes a ghost town (or village or whatever its called) then more and more retailers disappear then you get more empty shops - you can't have it both ways!

I think your a bit off the mark there, in the case of HG the vast majority of the traffic on the A6 is NOT potential custom for local retailers, so a reduction is what would be helpful for the shops here! A quieter free flowing main road would encourage (or would put off less) shoppers, where as the A6 in its current state just keeps people away.
I for one avoid driving through HG unless i absolutely have to and i am a local, so the chance of attracting people from further away is nill!

Not that any of that matters since the only way to reduce A6 traffic is to get a bypass, which will never happen! That said, i firmly believe there are other ways that the local business environment could be improved, but since i'm already off topic i will leave that for another thread!
Robot69
Citizen

Robot69
3rd September 2012 at 12:23PM
Not off the mark if you read all my post

"As for gridlock, I'd argue (as I don't have actual facts, but nor do you) that the central stretch of the A6 hasn't become gridlock because of Sainsburys"

I was basically saying the traffic is generally pass through traffic and NOT caused by Sainsburys/ASDA as has previously been stated.
<< 1 2 >>