Hazel Grove News

A Suburb in Stockport

10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

I would like to Find

This Thread is Locked

This Thread has been locked by a forum moderator.

<< 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10 11 12 >>

Will Bennett
Drifter
Re: I would like to Find
4th September 2008 at 1:26PM
Hello.
I'm coming to Hazel Grove in a few weeks with my Dad to visit the area in the pursuit of our 'Bennett' family history. Dad's mum and dad split after WW2 and from then on we were to be the lonely Bennetts left down here in the West Country, but after a bit of digging around I have found that the rest of the family seem to have been from around Hazel Grove and Chapel En Le Frith.
I have found my Grt Grand Parents, John Thomas and Sarah Elizabeth Bennett [maiden name Fletcher, from Peak forest] who are buried in Norbury parish church.
They lived at 31 london rd, [is that road still there??] certainly from 1901 until at least 1919.
Just on the off chance someone reads this and thinks "That's my family!!" :) then please drop me a line. Otherwise could you recommend a nice place to stay whilst there.
Many thanks, I look forward to seeing your Town.
Will Bennett
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Drifter
5th September 2008 at 6:26AM
Hi there, i can give you the names of couple of   b&bs,there's Henry's and another one 2 doors away i think it it called copper beech or something like that, if not there is a travel lodge at the Bamford Arms no idea what it is like.There are a few hotels on that road which is the main A6 and a straight run to hazel grove of about 2.5miles. Hotel names are ALMA LODGE,ACTON COURT,DAVENPORT ????,DON'T DO THE BRITANIA HOTEL on cherry tree lane.
I'm sure you will get a few other suggestions as i only know of these places because they are on the main A6.
We try to be a helpfull bunch!
Good luck with your search.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
KTRufell
Drifter
5th September 2008 at 8:56AM
The bennetts used to have a butchers shop on London Road, i think where Tittertons used to be. Their son Malcolm still lives in the grove, and Roy emigrated to Canada. May be different Bennetts, maybe not........
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
grover
Townsperson

grover
5th September 2008 at 12:50PM, Edit: 5th September 2008 at 12:59PM by grover
According to a book I have on Hazel Grove, number 31, now a house, was in 1916 Mr. Parrot's Greengrocery, and in 1910 was occupied by Ellis Arnold, a Hatter. Don't know if this helps or not. Who is Edith Tolence - is she a family member???
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Will Bennett
Drifter
5th September 2008 at 2:19PM
Thanks Grover, you are on the ball! No idea who Edith Tolence is, she is a mystery. I can't find her on the BDM records either.
There is a baby, William, in the same grave who we think is my fathers older brother, dad was born some years later and also named William after a baby who sadly died at birth, we think this is him. We only found this out earlier this week when I stumbled on the excellent Norbury Church website, so that was really enlightening information. Not only are the grandparents there, but also young William and it is the same church that my Dads mum and dad were married in, so all round, well worth a visit for us.
I should be able to confirm these details when the certificates arrive before we come up.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Will Bennett
Drifter
5th September 2008 at 2:31PM
Hi Grover,
Regarding your book and the info about 31 London Rd.
In 1898 on my Grandfathers birth certificate, my Grt grandparents have listed 31 London Rd as the address, and then on the 1901 census they are still there.
Then in 1919 my grandfather gives 51 Hazel Street as the address on their marriage certificate.
So I may have given the wrong impression in my first post here.
I should have more info soon, so I hope you all wont mind if I post more on here when I have it?
Thanks for the help so far.
Will
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Will Bennett
Drifter
5th September 2008 at 3:13PM
Many thanks for the B&B info, you are right, you are certainly a helpful lot :-)

Hello KTRufell, Oooh, now this is interesting, in my scribbles of folklore from family members, I have written down '2 brothers, butchers shop, Stockport Hazel Grove area, Bernard and Roy' Now, I know that Bernard doesn't match but that could have been muddled along the way. I think you may have given me a link worth checking out, thank you.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
grover
Townsperson

grover
5th September 2008 at 8:44PM, Edit: 5th September 2008 at 11:30PM by grover
Re Edith Tolerance. According to the church records she is buried in E64 the same as your family. But on another page there is an Edith Tolmie with the same information in the grave. It could be a church error in the name. Since she was buried in 1964 (Tolmie Edith 20/11/1964 aged 60 - E64) and the headstone mentions her as a "beloved wife and mother" there must still be family around. If you visit the church, the Vicar would have information on who the contact was at that time. I know someone checked for a name on a grave for a solder who died in the 1940's and the family checked with the church and found their relatives. The grave didn't list this soldier on the headstone, but the church records had his burial information as did the online records. BTW London Road is the main road through the village. You could also check on the other Hazel Grove Forum which is part of the Poynton Forum at

http://poyntonweb.yuku.com/forums/5

which is the Friends Reunited page. Put a message there as well.

0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
6th September 2008 at 6:04AM
Thank you Grover, will do.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Malcolm Bailey
Drifter
20th September 2008 at 3:42PM
Guest Wrote:

I am looking for 2 brothers called malcolm and vincent bailey, I believe they have lived in the Hazel Grove area,

Hi Christina, i do belive i would be the Malcolm Bailey you are looking for? With a brother Vincent lived down the valley opposite the corner shop. then moved round the corner near to Beanleach park. please feel free to Email me on phuriousstyles@hotmail.co.uk thanks best regards Malc
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  

<< 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10 11 12 >>

Part of..