10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Heinkel He111 shot down near Torkington Road

MJCorrigan
Villager

MJCorrigan
Heinkel He111 shot down near Torkington Road
7th September 2013 at 5:24PM
Hello

I am writing a short article about this. I'd be very grateful if anyone has any photographs of the wreckage. I'm also interested in finding out what happened to Mr Herbert WALLS and (if possible) a photo of his home, Wayside.

Thank you.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Stevo
Idler

Stevo
Re: Heinkel He111 shot down near Torkington Road
9th September 2013 at 2:39PM

Hi
You may have already seen this info but if not the link below will take you to it. Good luck with your search

Stevo

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/pages/peakdistrict/peakdistrictGI+LH.htm
grover
Townsperson

grover
9th September 2013 at 8:30PM
The wireless operator was taken to a house on Queen's Road. Last older house on the right hand side. Think there name was Ardern local solicitor - had a business at the other end of Queen's Road- 249 London Road. Said he had a son their age and would like to think that someone would look after their son if he was in need. Remember this story well and I was only just 4 at the time it happened. Must have heard the story maybe when I was older.
MJCorrigan
Villager

MJCorrigan
11th September 2013 at 9:45AM
Thanks for the info all.

Grover, as I understand it the wireless operator, Ludwig Rathsam, was taken to a house called 'Wayside', which stood on the site of what is now Wayside Gardens. Are you sure it wasn't another crewman (one came down on Mirrlees playing fields)?

Thanks
Berisford
Idler

Berisford
1st November 2013 at 2:59PM
I have walked this area since a boy. Some thirty plus years. There are three good sized craters near the 6th tee. Two in the grounds of the golf course and one in the field. Do you know which is the actual crash site?
MJCorrigan
Villager

MJCorrigan
7th November 2013 at 6:34PM
Hello, the aircraft actually crashed into a field belonging to the farm. It's possible some debris was scattered onto the golf course but the impact site was definitely at the farm. The book will be out before Christmas.

Part of..

Tagged With..