10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Hazel Grove Train Station Car Park

OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Train Station Car Park
25th November 2014 at 6:57PM
Hi all

Just to keep you up to date, following questions I raised at the last Area Committee, I have been told that the work on the development of the train station car park to add an extra storey is due to start in January 2015 and should be completed by the summer.

As this has been wildly postponed already, I will keep you updated as and when I hear anything.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
cooper120
Villager

cooper120
Re: Hazel Grove Train Station Car Park
27th November 2014 at 1:15PM
Utterly pointless venture.
Northern rail cannot currently service the amount of passengers they have, you can't fit anyone else on half the trains.
Who is the car park funded by? Them or the local authority?
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
27th November 2014 at 2:59PM
The car park will be funded by Northern and TfGM I believe. So the Council is not liable.

I think you make a good point about the current situation.

With this new devolution package, however, Greater Manchester is going to be handed (if all goes to plan) more powers to locally regulate transport services. This may include franchising power also.

I think we could see a big sea change in the state of transport across Greater Manchester if the devolution goes ahead.

Peregrine
Villager

Peregrine
27th November 2014 at 4:59PM
I think a THANK YOU is due to Oliver, if for nothing else, for his regular information postings on here, we hear very little or nothing from the other council members who are supposed to have the interest of Hazel Grove at heart.
In fact they are seen so little - do they really exist?.
Are they council members for the seemingly very generous expenses maybe or even, I wonder, for the fine dining we here of at their meetings of no consequence?.
RedRobbo
Villager

RedRobbo
28th November 2014 at 11:52AM
The budget for TfGM comes mainly from a levy funded by taxpayers in Greater Manchester's 10 autorities.
This will remain at £198 million a year until 2016/2017.

The cost of the proposed decked car park is £1.2 million approx.

Train fares from Hazel Grove will still be subsidised by the rate payers of Greater Manchester as will the free parking.

Network rail would prefer to charge full fare and also charge for parking.

According to the TfGM survey of the station car park.50% of cars using the car park are registered within a kilometer
of Hazel Grove Station.That is a 10 to 15 minute walk.

Before the car park was redesigned,(4,5,6 years ago?),there were 385 spaces(Network Rail figures).
At present there are 315 spaces (approx). TfGM figures.
When the decked car park is completed there will be 400 spaces,(approx).TfGM.
15 more car parking spaces, at a cost to us,the rate payers,of £1.2 million,than were available several years ago.
As we already subsidise Network Rail through national taxation,is this the best use of rate payers money?
Either let Network Rail operate as a private company,or nationalize the railways.
cooper120
Villager

cooper120
28th November 2014 at 5:55PM
Oliver I do appreciate the updates.
I actually hoped it would be the council funding the car park, as northern are dreadful.

I will be putting in a complaint this weekend with how dreadful their service is, and I will be following that up until I get some real answers.
Do you know their little signs that say "94% of our services were on time this month" don't include anything that has been within 10 minutes late? I'm fairly confident it too omits cancelled services as they aren't 'technically' late.

Interested to know more about these changes as the whole service is shocking.

Subsidised rail fares? It's £6.30 a day return or £94 for a month - how is that subsidised?
RedRobbo
Villager

RedRobbo
1st December 2014 at 9:22AM
Cooper120 asked,

Subsidised rail fares? It's £6.30 a day return or £94 for a month - how is that subsidised?

If you travel within the Greater Manchester area,your £6.30 a day ticket is subsidised by the council tax payers of Greater Manchester.
Your daily commute is receiving a subsidy of £180 per year,(approx),plus free parking if you require.

Also let's be clear,the £1.2 million,the decked car park is costing,will be funded by the council tax payers of Greater Manchester.The decked car park is a Transport for Greater Manchester project.
TfGM is a public body,to which the 10 councils of Greater Manchester give £198 million per year.

Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
1st December 2014 at 11:43AM, Edit: 1st December 2014 at 12:39PM by Serenity
RedRobbo Wrote:

The budget for TfGM comes mainly from a levy funded by taxpayers in Greater Manchester's 10 autorities.
This will remain at £198 million a year until 2016/2017.

The cost of the proposed decked car park is £1.2 million approx.

Train fares from Hazel Grove will still be subsidised by the rate payers of Greater Manchester as will the free parking.

Network rail would prefer to charge full fare and also charge for parking.

According to the TfGM survey of the station car park.50% of cars using the car park are registered within a kilometer
of Hazel Grove Station.That is a 10 to 15 minute walk.

Before the car park was redesigned,(4,5,6 years ago?),there were 385 spaces(Network Rail figures).
At present there are 315 spaces (approx). TfGM figures.
When the decked car park is completed there will be 400 spaces,(approx).TfGM.
15 more car parking spaces, at a cost to us,the rate payers,of £1.2 million,than were available several years ago.
As we already subsidise Network Rail through national taxation,is this the best use of rate payers money?
Either let Network Rail operate as a private company,or nationalize the railways.

It's very negative to read that this will shortly be going ahead at such a huge expense just to provide a few extra parking spaces for commuters who don't live that far away in the first place. I thought that this idea was put forward initially in an attempt to ease the congestion in the Grove. If that's the case I doubt that the Grove congestion problems will improve as a result. In fact it might end up having a negative effect on the Grove bringing more traffic.

Maybe providing a free local bus service for people using the train and new car park at that end of the Grove (such as the one they have in Stockport) might have been a better way of spending the money.

Part of..

Tagged With..