A Suburb in Stockport

10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Hazel Grove Primary School 100 years

<< 1 2 3 4 >>

elaine huskisso
Drifter
Re: Hazel Grove Primary School 100 years
29th March 2012 at 8:55PM
i was at hazel grove infant and juniors from 1985 till 1991. i remember mrs sidebottom, mr wright, mrs moffat, of course the evil mrs archer!!! i'll never forget mr stafford, great headteacher! i remember taking part of the country dance team and dancing round the maypole. i believe they still do that but not 100% sure. they were the best times of my childhood.. unfortunately it all went wrong when i went to the high school.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
hazelgroveps
Villager

hazelgroveps
30th March 2012 at 8:33AM
Thank you very much for all of your memories, both good and bad are welcomed! The book is still being created so if anybody has any more then please keep them coming...

We have had a number from the very beginnings of the school, as it stands today, but we would really like some more information from the 1930's if possible.

I would really like to do a feature on the class of 1928 that included, amongst other, boys called Jack Jones and Eric Siddall. These names are now inscribed on the HG War Memorial. Does anybody know their story as it'd be great to include them, as a feature, within the book.

The celebration week will be the week of 18th-22nd June. Please keep your eye out for what is going on as they'll be a number of events open to pupils both young and old.

Thank you for your help so far. Please keep them coming either through this forum or drop them into school!
Coleman
Forum Moderator

Coleman
30th March 2012 at 11:14AM
Drifter Wrote:

i was at hazel grove infant and juniors from 1985 till 1991. i remember mrs sidebottom, mr wright, mrs moffat, of course the evil mrs archer!!! i'll never forget mr stafford, great headteacher! i remember taking part of the country dance team and dancing round the maypole. i believe they still do that but not 100% sure. they were the best times of my childhood.. unfortunately it all went wrong when i went to the high school.

Christ, yeah i remember all of them too! Mr Wright was my teacher for the latter part of my time there. Mr Stafford was a legend, got on with him really well. Even when i got sent there (only a few times) for some misadventure or the other.

Got some strange memory of going down in to the basement (May have been ground level) to get some random items from the boiler room. Not something you would ever hear of a student doing these days with health and safety and all that. His view was to simply inform us "the pipes can get hot" and we would be fine!

I remember my infant teacher too, Mrs Ferny (don't know how its spelt), she was a very nice woman. Good with computers if i remember correctly, i think she may have had some serious illness at some point or maybe a stroke. She certainly was gone for some time.
Katy Barlow
Drifter
6th April 2012 at 12:46PM
I left Hazel Grove Primary in 1994. I remember Mr Stafford, Mr Wright and Mrs Archer. She was the teacher for Yr 6. Everyone dreaded going in her class. Mr Wright was my teacher in the infants, he was really nice to me, especially when i got picked on for having short hair.
Expert
Drifter
27th April 2012 at 11:39PM
hazelgroveps - you might like to start your search for war memorial names here - http://www.stockport1914-1918.co.uk/index.php - I'm sure John Hartley, who owns the data base would be pleased to help.

As for the school itself, my grandmother always claimed to have been a pupil there but she would have been 10 when the school opened. What age range did the school cater for in those days and where was the school it replaced?
Debbieh
Villager

Debbieh
30th April 2012 at 2:11PM
My dad went there in the 40s-early 50s, they stayed till they were about 14 and 15 there instead of going to secondary school, my mum went to Norbury school which is now a Jehovahs church and they all went onto Jacksons Lane instead...... Listening to my dad I think the cleverer pupils went to Chapel Street????
Robot69
Citizen

Robot69
30th April 2012 at 4:08PM
My dad went to Norbury in the 40's and he stayed there until his education was finished!
annette
Idler

annette
31st May 2012 at 8:40PM
any more updates about events at HGPS for 100 years? dates would be useful. thanks
hazelgroveps
Villager

hazelgroveps
11th June 2012 at 11:11AM
With reference to the centenary week celebrations, the school are having an Open Afternoon on the 20th June between 13.30-19.30. Everybody is welcome and there are a number of things planned for the day.
The book that has been created to celebrate the centenary will also be available to look at and buy on the day.
Holty
Drifter
18th June 2012 at 6:08PM
Fanny harwood lol she was horrible made my lie hell with my recorder lol? Dont have techers like that nowadays
<< 1 2 3 4 >>