A Suburb in Stockport

10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Hazel Grove Primary School 100 years

<< 1 2 3 4 >>

Expert
Drifter
Re: Hazel Grove Primary School 100 years
16th March 2012 at 3:55PM
It depends whether you're looking at it technically or practically. Without wanting to get into the nuances of additive, subtractive or psychological primary colours, If I want something black I buy a tin of black paint. If I want something white .....
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Outa Towna
Drifter
19th March 2012 at 2:30PM
Memories of Miss Harwood? Well there are many. I suppose I was in a unique position as I lived next door to her all my life until I married in my mid twenties and left home.
For one year at school I was in her class and the first day she had me stand up in front of everybody and announced "just because you live next door to me don't think you'll get any special treatment" she then for the next year made my life a misery by "over compensating" for that fact and bullied me relentlessly. Out of school was different. We lived in a semi and our houses were attached so she saw me every minute of the day when she was home. I called her Auntie Ruth and her sister, who she lived with, Auntie Nora. I remember they had a pekinese called Suki.
I was always very wary of Ruth Harwood but in fact looking back both Ruth and Nora treated me with kindness when not in school. They were in fact very close to myself, Mother and Father. Ruth also encouraged my interest in music and the Hazel Grove Music Festival but that's another story.
Julie
Expert
Drifter
21st March 2012 at 10:22PM
Was Miss Harwood the old bat who ran the school choir in the early 60s?

50 years on, I have still not forgiven her. We rehearsed continually for weeks so the choir could enter a competition. The week before, she went round members of the choir listening to them individually. When she got to me she said "A bit breathy" and that was the end of my time in the choir as far as she was concerned. I was summarily slung out and never got to go to the competition.

She ran choir purely for her own ends and ego and didn't give a flying f*art for the sensibilities or education of the children she had charge of.

I hope she is happy in her grave!
Adora
Forum Moderator

Adora
21st March 2012 at 11:33PM

Expert, I feel your pain. I went to a different Stockport primary but I was slung out from our school choir eventually for the horrendous crime of looking at my watch!
Outa Towna
Drifter
23rd March 2012 at 1:29PM
Yes "Expert" that sounds very much like Miss Harwood. I too remember her homing in on you as you sang and being scared stiff. I think she taught by the stick not the carrot method.
Coleman
Forum Moderator

Coleman
23rd March 2012 at 4:37PM
Out of interest, what sort of timeframe are we talking about for this teacher?
outa towna
Drifter
24th March 2012 at 3:31PM
I couldn't tell you exactly how long she taught at Chapel Street. I was there from around 1959 and she'd been there for a very long time then. She seemed ancient to me but I suppose anyone over eighteen does when you're five!
I can't even remember when she retired, can anyone else?
Expert
Drifter
24th March 2012 at 6:46PM
Would have been around 1962/1963.

Don't remember her zooming in on people on a regular basis it was just the once so she could prune the choir to the required number for the competition.
Coleman
Forum Moderator

Coleman
24th March 2012 at 8:35PM
Wow, so quite a while ago!

There was an evil teacher there when I was. Think her name was Archer seem to remember her getting very close if not crossing the line between discipline and abuse!

And some of the stuff she used to scream in the kids faces would make a docker cry!

She was a right piece of work!

That was about 87-93!
albertshepherd
Villager

albertshepherd
25th March 2012 at 8:46PM
Thats a hell of a task you are taking on. I was there 1951-57 and have a school photo somewhere.
Teachers--- Mr Preston, Miss Harwood, Ben Kingsley, Miss Ecksley, Mr and Mrs Hulley,Miss Blackwell, Miss Derbyshire the very old head and of course Miss Hunt who took over.
The corner shop(he allowed as many kids as possible in the shop) and Coynes on Commercial Rd. Playing marbles in the grids, the bike sheds and disgusting toilets.
Mrs Hallworth a canteen lady her son Chris was in my class. Mr Cumming the caretaker and his wife in the canteen. God those school meals and the jug of water.
Warming your milk on the radiators,the eleven plus, those iron and wooden desks that you always banged yours knees on.Filling the in wells and those terrible ink pens with which to write. Do we all remember the Miss Hunt style of writting.Trying to get the best crayons in art classes.Cleaning the board and being a monitor meant you could get out of the rain to hand the books out before people came in.
Dont forget Napier Street I came thrpuogh at 4 to go to Chapel Street.
I think Jackson Lane started in 1955 up until then you stayed at Chapel Street until 15 unless you went to grammar school.
They tried to introduce the school uniform in my last year but there wasn't alot of money about for that.
Everyone I ever knew went there or Norbury.
Good luck!
<< 1 2 3 4 >>