10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Hazel Grove Primary School 100 years

<< 1 2 3 4 >>

hazelgroveps
Villager

hazelgroveps
Hazel Grove Primary School 100 years
5th January 2012 at 10:10AM
This year, Hazel Grove Primary School (Chapel Street) is celebrating their centenary year 1912-2012. We are are very keen on gathering together any memories that former pupils have of particular events or teachers, which may be included in a book that we are compiling at the moment. We are particularly interested in stories involving generations of families that all attended the school at different times and have good (or bad!) memories of events through the years. If you have any pictures to accompany the stories (that you wouldn't mind including too) then that would be even better.
If you would like to be involved then please hand the stories/memories into the school office in an envelope to the attention of Mr Waites or email them to david.waites@hazelgrove-pri.stockport.sch.uk

Many thanks in advance
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Quote Report  
Coleman
Forum Moderator

Coleman
Re: Hazel Grove Primary School 100 years
5th January 2012 at 8:58PM
I was at the school when the head teacher of the time (Mr Stafford I think) decided to throw a party for the 85th year.

I'll have to have a think and see exactly what I can recall and see if I can find any photos or if I still have the commemorative mug the handed out to all the students.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
hazelgroveps
Villager

hazelgroveps
6th January 2012 at 4:25PM
That would be excellent, thank you in advance. Any thoughts/memories/pictures gratefully received!
john newell
Drifter
10th January 2012 at 9:50PM
Is there going to be any events at the school if so what date, thank you.
hazelgroveps
Villager

hazelgroveps
19th January 2012 at 7:58PM
We are in the process of finalising details and, when we have, I shall post the details on this site. It will involve a week of events that will be open to everyone.

Thank you to those who have already emailed/delivered memories...please keep them coming!
Drifter
18th February 2012 at 11:04AM
Does anyone remember miss Harrwood ? or mr Parkinson. thank goodness you don,t get teachers like them anymore
Expert
Drifter
22nd February 2012 at 6:29PM
Ah! Mr Parkinson - presumably long dead - he was a complete, utter, head case and I doubt whether he could actually have been a qualified teacher.

I remember that he had been sidelined into an upstairs room in one of the houses backing onto Wesley Street and left to "teach" art where he could presumably do the least damage. He would never let us use white paint - we had to use chalk. Why? I've never understood.
E
davyp
Villager

davyp
13th March 2012 at 1:13PM
One hundred years, lots of children, staff and parents in that time. Interesting comments about whether a person was a qualified teacher. After WW2 there was a huge shortage of teachers so they decided to use demobbed military people instead, and trained them up to teach ('emergency trained' they were called and there were many interesting characters amongst them).
Some of the other local schools must be coming up to 50 years soon as they were built in the 60s to educate the 'baby boomers'.
davyp
Villager

davyp
13th March 2012 at 1:14PM
... and white paint? far too expensive - anyway there is no such colour as white (or black for that matter).
Coleman
Forum Moderator

Coleman
13th March 2012 at 3:14PM
davyp Wrote:

... and white paint? far too expensive - anyway there is no such colour as white (or black for that matter).

No such colour as white or black! Wow.... i have never read such wild claims!
GillB
Townsperson

GillB
13th March 2012 at 4:00PM
Coleman Wrote:

No such colour as white or black! Wow.... i have never read such wild claims!

As far as I remember, it's technically not a colour.

Based on light, you "see" because light reflects off objects, the "colour" you see, is what is being reflected off the object, missing colours are absorbed by the object.

White is what you see when all of the colours are going into your eye

Black is the absence of light altogether.

At least that's what I remember.
<< 1 2 3 4 >>