A Suburb in Stockport

10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Hazel Grove Park and Ride

<< 1 2 3 >>

A chaste cog
Drifter
Hazel Grove Park and Ride
27th January 2012 at 11:31AM
I'm working on a proposed bus based Park and Ride scheme at Hazel Grove off Melford Road which will be submitted as a planning application in due course. I can't go into too much detail because the scheme is still being worked up but will happily answer any questions I can.

The scheme will feature around 450 spaces and will be the first bus-based park and ride in the whole of G.M. It should intercept a significant amount of commuting / shopping traffic on the A6 towards Stockport / Manchester and therefore help ease congestion during peak periods. It should also help ease the demand for parking, particularly in Stockport and perhaps at places like Stepping Hill etc.

I came across this website and wondered if anyone could help. We have carried out detailed surveys of the area but one thing surveys don't always tell us is long term traffic patterns and travel behaviour.

Being more specific, I wondered if anyone on this site has been a regular user of the Park and Ride car park at Hazel Grove Railway Station?

I wondered how often, in your experience, does that car park fill up, typically by what time in the morning and if there is any noticeable drop in demand during non-school term time periods etc? If any of you have been long term users of the facility, how has it changed over recent years and what makes you use it?

Hope someone can help, Kind regards.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Quote Report  
Drifter
Re: Hazel Grove Park and Ride
27th January 2012 at 1:36PM
I think it would be a good idea, anything that would help reduce the traffic and the parking problems in the Grove has got to be a good idea.

Can I ask what responses you have had back from your survey. Do people seem to be in favour of introducing such a scheme?

0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
cllrkevinhogg
Hazel Grove Councillor

cllrkevinhogg
27th January 2012 at 7:02PM
Yes this is finally after 2 years work coming to fruition and about ime too.

The park and ride at the station is always full causing spillage of commuters onto nearby streets that was why residents only parking came in.

With this scheme in place the people travelling to Stepping Hill Hospital will be able to park easily and nip on the 192 to work or be seen by a doctor.

Hopefully curing the problem of parking around the Hospital.
Drifter
27th January 2012 at 7:21PM
Councillor Hogg, how are people going to be encouraged to make use of this good idea?

Where I am coming from is you turn up at Stepping Hill or the railways station carparks to find them full. What will stop the commuters/hospital peeps doing what they are now doing? (ie. parking all over the show.) Its not exactly within eyeball distance to remind them.

And if there is a cost of travel??? Won't that have a negative effect?

Or conversely, is Hazel Grave about to get a FREE bus service ruuning the length of the A6 (S.H. via station from the car park) like the bus service from Stockport railway station to Portwood? (Which is dead handy). Now that would be a plus if it stopped several times during the day when commuters inparticular (who need an expresso service for the train) have gone to work.

That could boost the trade for the local shops as well as solve a parking issue.
Drifter
27th January 2012 at 7:47PM
Most of the parking spaces at the train station are filled by people that work in h/g mainly a legal company based on chester road ! I have witnessed this for many, many years . Therefor the geniune people that need to park there to travel by train have to park elsewhere ! How about somekind of pass people can show on their dashboard to prove that they are geniune rail users from the station
Drifter
27th January 2012 at 8:55PM
what about hospital staff?
Drifter
28th January 2012 at 5:00AM
cllrkevinhogg Wrote:

Yes this is finally after 2 years work coming to fruition and about time too.

The park and ride at the station is always full causing spillage of commuters onto nearby streets that was why residents only parking came in.

With this scheme in place the people travelling to Stepping Hill Hospital will be able to park easily and nip on the 192 to work or be seen by a doctor.

Hopefully curing the problem of parking around the Hospital.

Yes Kevin it's an excellent idea in theory but I feel for the service to become effective I think residents only parking will need to be put in place (in the areas adjacent to the hospital) otherwise staff and visitors will just continue to use the nearby streets to park their cars in.
Expert
Drifter
28th January 2012 at 9:59AM
So - Kevin Hogg has neatly excluded himself from taking part in the decision making process then!
Drifter
28th January 2012 at 11:27AM
Guest Wrote:

So - Kevin Hogg has neatly excluded himself from taking part in the decision making process then!

Not sure what you mean? However I don't agree. I think Kevin has played a big part in trying to sort this problem out.

Surely the idea of putting the space to some use that would benifit the community has to be a good thing. Better that than the notion of a gypsy caravan campsite.

As for makeing the decision surely that rests on more than one persons shoulders.
slim
Townsperson

slim
28th January 2012 at 12:43PM
mount pleasent and the surrounding streets have just had forms from the council to fill in about residents parking and if enough have been returned asking for it then it will be implemented some time hope fully in the near future. i would be interested in knowing what sort of time scale is involved in these schemes.
Drifter
28th January 2012 at 1:26PM
slim Wrote:

mount pleasent and the surrounding streets have just had forms from the council to fill in about residents parking and if enough have been returned asking for it then it will be implemented some time hope fully in the near future. i would be interested in knowing what sort of time scale is involved in these schemes.

So would I Slim.

We filled our form in as soon as we got it, as we really feel that parking for residents only is much needed and very long overdue in this area.

However I still feel that some long term solution will be required to offer commuters an alternative, which I hope this new proposal might be able to offer.
<< 1 2 3 >>