Hazel Grove News

A Suburb in Stockport

10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Hazel Grove Fire Station

<< 1 2 3 >>

This post has been deleted by the author.

g0akh
Idler

g0akh
Re: Hazel Grove Fire Station
4th April 2010 at 2:03PM
I had a photograph of an apparently new building on Argyle Street on my web site www.firestations.org.uk, captioned as Hazel Grove old fire station. After reading this thread, I removed it, believing this to be incorrect. On further investigation, I located a reference to Peak Builders, The Old Fire Station, Argyle Street. I took a closer look at my picture, and it bears a sign for Peak Builders, there is 'Keep Clear' written on the concrete in front, and the lower brickwork appears darker than the first floor, indicating that the first floor/pitched roof has been added relatively recently.

It would appear that this was the old fire station, although now significantly modified. All we need now is a picture of it before its modifications to confirm.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
j,b
Drifter
10th May 2010 at 8:57AM
i remember the fire station , my friends dad was a fireman there ,, les dover ,, it was as most people say actually on davenport rd , and the ramp is still there . i remember hearing the old air raid siren that used to go off when the engines left the station
Witzend
Newcomer

Witzend
25th September 2015 at 7:45AM
My dad, Bob Harrington was a part time fireman at hazel grove. If I remember rightly it was shut in 1972. Dad's no longer with us so I can't check but mum had the "hazel grove " sign from on the door of the last fire engine! Memories of that bell going off in middle of night, always when you were tired!
Expert
Villager

Expert
9th October 2015 at 10:52PM, Edit: 9th October 2015 at 10:52PM by Expert
OK, lets get things straight. I can only speak from the 60s but in those days the fire station was indeed on Argyle Street. The building is still there, although much modified - it's the one next to the Wilfred Wood car park entrance. At the end of the 60s (or perhaps the beginning of the 70s) it was moved to the site on Davenport Road which is now a car park.

Does nonbody remember hearing the siren which summoned the part time firemen?

Trust me, I'm an expert!
BlackCat
Villager

BlackCat
13th October 2015 at 12:20PM, Edit: 13th October 2015 at 12:23PM by BlackCat

Hazel Grove Fire Station on Davenport Road Cheshire Fire Brigade.
It was demolished in 1974.
1 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Expert
Villager

Expert
14th October 2015 at 10:15PM
You can see the siren on a pole poking up from the roof. It's closure/demolition in 1974 makes sense as local government was regornised in that year but it definitely started out on Argyle Street.

Trust me, I'm an Expert!
<< 1 2 3 >>

Part of..

Tagged With..