A Suburb in Stockport

10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Hazel Grove Fire Station

<< 1 2 3 >>

historian
Drifter
Re: Hazel Grove Fire Station
9th May 2008 at 2:04PM
Definetly 100% without a doubt davenport rd.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
grover
Townsperson

grover
9th May 2008 at 7:19PM, Edit: 9th May 2008 at 8:08PM by grover
Was waiting for my nephew to say for sure which fire station was in the photo and now confirmed. His father was a part time firefighter there. It is the "new" one on Davenport Road and he says:

"It was built as the new fire station in the mid sixties and survived for only a few years. Its site is now a private car park, I know because I remember sweeping the floors for pocket money.

"The photo (D42/S23) was the 'new' Hazel Grove one, demolished around 1974, when Hazel Grove Fire Station shut down and dad was no longer needed. The picture is on Davenport Road. It was built of asbestos and Dad lined the roof with wood...(His father, my brother, was a joiner by day). It had one big door where at best one pump and one land rover fitted, the mens wellies, hats and axes lined the right hand wall of the vehicle bay. The window on the right was the mess room and kitchen. To the rear was an office with telex, and a gents (didn't have women firefighters then) The wall at the front is still there. To the left of the building is a row of houses and there used to be a level crossing. Dad had the nameplate of the last pump there."

He thinks the "old" flat roof Fire Station still stands on Argyle Street by a parking lot.

So, a mistake was made in the caption of the photo. Hope this information helps Historian and Father Norman Price.

Fr Norman Price
Drifter
10th May 2008 at 4:29AM
Brilliant! Thanks you all very much indeed for all your help with this one. I shall amend my website immediately. I was told of another link to a picture of Argyle Street. However, as it was only taken last year, I think it will be of little help. Link posted for the sake of completeness.
http://www.firestations.org.uk/Station_Pictures_Page.php

Thanks once again. Best wishes to all.
Fr. Norman.
grover
Townsperson

grover
10th May 2008 at 8:45AM, Edit: 10th May 2008 at 8:49AM by grover
Don't recognize that photo either and have sent it to my nephew to look at. Maybe the building has been changed over the last while or so and added to, roof wise. Or is this a new building for relaying calls to Offerton?
Young Grover
Drifter
18th May 2008 at 12:30PM
I was told by a good sauce that Mr Roy Povey and Mr Phil Hamilton had the two Name Plates from the last Engine at the Davenport Station,
Also the large Fire warning sirian that was at that site was removed and Installed on a pole on Chester Road next to the football pitch.
grover
Townsperson

grover
19th May 2008 at 8:51AM, Edit: 19th May 2008 at 8:54AM by grover
I know of Roy and Phil and they both know my brother. If my brother says he had the plate off the last pump, I have no reason to disbelieve him.
Young Grover
Drifter
31st May 2008 at 6:36PM
grover Wrote:

I know of Roy and Phil and they both know my brother. If my brother says he had the plate off the last pump, I have no reason to disbelieve him.

Are you Bob Harringtons brother? If so Phil Hamilton would like Bob's address if possible, he would like to reminisce old times :)
Not sure how we'd do this on here...hmmm
grover
Drifter
1st June 2008 at 9:38PM
I am one of his younger sisters. Bob is not too well these days and has memory problems - think he has Parkinsons. I also don't know how to give you his info here other than to say he is in the Gloucester phone book. I went on the online edition and found him there. Likely would love to hear from Phil and chat about the olden days! If you can't find it, let me know on this website and I will give you my alternate e-mail address. Say hello to Kay from me.
Young Grover
Drifter
2nd June 2008 at 3:10PM
Guest Wrote:

I am one of his younger sisters. Bob is not too well these days and has memory problems - think he has Parkinsons. I also don't know how to give you his info here other than to say he is in the Gloucester phone book. I went on the online edition and found him there. Likely would love to hear from Phil and chat about the olden days! If you can't find it, let me know on this website and I will give you my alternate e-mail address. Say hello to Kay from me.

Awww sorry to hear he isn't well :(
I will try to find his number in the phone book first.
I will tell Kay you said hello, she's fine at present. Thanks for the reply, will let you know how I get on. Thanks again :)
Young Grover
Drifter
15th June 2008 at 3:46PM
Guest Wrote:

Guest Wrote:

Awww sorry to hear he isn't well :(
I will try to find his number in the phone book first.
I will tell Kay you said hello, she's fine at present. Thanks for the reply, will let you know how I get on. Thanks again :)

Phil has asked if there is any way you could give me Bob's phone number so he can contact him? It would be very much appreciated, not had much joy with getting a contact number. Thanks
<< 1 2 3 >>

Part of..

Tagged With..