A Suburb in Stockport

10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Hazel Grove Fire Station

<< 1 2 3 >>

historian
Drifter
Hazel Grove Fire Station
3rd May 2008 at 10:35AM
Hello can anyone give me any information on the history of the Fire Station? Or even a photo would be great. Ihave it on an old map at the junction of Davenport Rd and Hatherlow Lane, where the raised car park is now. The walls look like they are the originals, have a look next time you pass.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Quote Report  
grover
Townsperson

grover
Re: Hazel Grove Fire Station
3rd May 2008 at 8:33PM
I remember the fire station from the early '50's and I thought it was on Argyle Street. Recently on this web site Andy Hamilton wished Phil and Margaret Hamilton a happy 50th anniversary. Phil Hamilton was a part time fireman along with my brother. I remember being at my brother's house and a bell would sound in his house and he would dash out on his bicycle and off to the fire station. When on duty, they had to stay within sound of the bell. Our next door neighbour was also a part time fireman there. I will ask around the family to see where they remember the fire station being.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
grover
Townsperson

grover
4th May 2008 at 8:14PM, Edit: 4th May 2008 at 8:15PM by grover
Here is what a poster said on "the other H.Grove web site" in May last year.

"At the Davenport end of the street there was an old farmhouse - real tumbledown. My mate Brian lived there with his family, chickens and old wrecked cars.

My mates and me would spend hours down the Red rec' at the end of Davenport lane, on the old warhorse, in and out the railings onto the railway embankment. God but we got away with some stuff!

There was the fire engine house not far from the railway station. And what is now the station carpark was a timber yard. We got used to hearing the siren for the fire engines - sounded just like an old wartime airaid siren."
grover
Townsperson

grover
4th May 2008 at 8:48PM
This what another Forum poster said:

"We used to have dens in the bushes between the rec and the railway line. I also remember playing on the flat old fire station roof on Argyll St."

So there was a fire station on Argyll Street and I think the land is now used as a car park.
grover
Townsperson

grover
6th May 2008 at 9:41AM
This is a quote from an e-mail I received from an old ex Hazel Grover:

Quote:I am quite prepared to be challenged on the first part of this statement but pre-war there was no fire station in Hazel Grove.Fire engines had to be called from Stockport.When war started a Fire station was built on Argyle Street for the Auxillary Fire Service (AFS). At some time after the war ,possibly in the 1960's a new fire station was built on Davenport Rd. on land at the side of the railway foot near the station at the top of Hatherlow Lane (which I now believe is a raised car park).I am afraid that I can't give any more information than this as I have not lived in the "Grove" since 1966.Hope that this information has been helpful.Quote
historian
Drifter
7th May 2008 at 1:19PM
Thanks everyone, seems odd the station wasnt there long, someone must have a photo. If anyone finds one please mail me at thelight1974@yahoo.com thanks
Fr Norman Price
Drifter
7th May 2008 at 5:10PM
I am fascinated to read all the correspondence about HG fire station as I have recently posted a picture on my web site of HG fire station BELIEVED to be on Argyle Street. However, it does not appear to have a flat roof.
Any further information that comes through would be most welcome to golfsierra999@rcsb.co.uk
My website is www.fireflash-delta64.co.uk From the welcome page follow the link to GMC then on the LIBRARY PICTURES INDEX hit the Offerton link.
PLEASE RESPECT THAT THE PICTURE SHOWN WAS DONATED TO THE SITE, IS COPYRIGHT AND SHOULD PLEASE NOT BE COPIED. Thanks in anticipation. Fr. Norman.
Adora
Forum Moderator

Adora
8th May 2008 at 5:10AM
http://www.fireflash-delta64.co.uk/offertonarch.html

Cut and paste the above to go straight to Fr Norman's picture.

:)
grover
Townsperson

grover
8th May 2008 at 8:37AM, Edit: 8th May 2008 at 8:39AM by grover
That photo isn't how I remember the old Fire Staton. Will go back to my contact again and see what he thinks. I still remember a flat building and I think, 2 or 3 bays. which fronted onto Argyle Street.
historian
Drifter
8th May 2008 at 3:51PM
Thats It!!

You can tell by the wall, it was on Davenport Rd after all. Now when was it pulled down?
Fr Norman Price
Drifter
8th May 2008 at 4:44PM
Can we verify, please. Is this picture on my web site actually Davenport Road, not Argyle Street?
I have spoken with the gentleman who took the picture in the late 1960s.   He has looked on the map, and due to the close proximity of the two addresses, he readily admits that he might have written Argyle Street on the picture as that was the address on his list. However, it si possible that it was indeed Davenport Road. He intends making another visit as soon as he can, to try and verify it for himself, though I guess someone out there can probably verify for him.
Kind regards
Fr. Norman.
<< 1 2 3 >>

Part of..

Tagged With..