10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Green Lane Car Park

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >>

OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
Re: Green Lane Car Park
8th March 2016 at 9:05AM
Re free parking at weekends - I am fighting a hard enough battle to get even a very limited free parking initiative in place. There is no will from other parties on the Council for this outside of Stockport Town Centre.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Jenny
Villager

Jenny
8th March 2016 at 11:44AM, Edit: 8th March 2016 at 11:45AM by Jenny
OliverJohnstone Wrote:

Re free parking at weekends - I am fighting a hard enough battle to get even a very limited free parking initiative in place. There is no will from other parties on the Council for this outside of Stockport Town Centre.

Can you please expand on this? It's easy for you as a career politician to imply the "will" of other parties, specifically to make yourself look better. Can you expand on their opinions, specifically who has said what and in what context? Is every Tory in the area in favour of this?

Or is it a case of "I'm in favour of this, but others aren't" and the party of those opinions isn't relevant and you've just made an attempt at scoring points?
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
8th March 2016 at 12:37PM
Jenny - I appreciate you don't like me (for reasons I cannot explain) but don't accuse me of being a career politician when I have only ever represented the area that I grew up in. I have a career outside of politics that I am very happy with too.

I have proposed in meetings to undertake trials in limited free parking in district centres, supported by my own party and opposed by others. General reasons are cost or "it's a nice thing to do but not right now". The cost point is pretty moot because the trial will show whether extra cash is invested in local district centres - in which case any loss in Council revenue is justified in my opinion.
Jenny
Villager

Jenny
8th March 2016 at 12:49PM
So you can't give any specifics other than (paraphrasing) "The tories are for this, and all other parties are against it", and we are just to trust that?

Sorry, but I refuse to be one of those residents that just accept what politicians say on face value without asking them to back up their claims.

Sadly, politicians and the like have a reputation for being dishonest (note, I'm not saying that you're being dishonest), I'm just asking you to back up the statement that you have made, as it is a rather sweeping and general statement that appears on the surface to be political point scoring.
HGrover
Villager

HGrover
8th March 2016 at 1:05PM
Oliver,

Thank you for your reply.

Before I set out my thoughts I want to be clear that I am not against the football teams using the playing fields and in an ideal world, we should do everything to encourage their use by providing changing facilities & parking. Unfortunately, there are conflicting priorities and most likely little if no money available.

It is interesting to know that car parking and changing rooms are a requirement of the football league that use the car park, but I don’t think that we should allow this to determine strategy. I think this is a ‘tail wagging the dog’ scenario.

What would be interesting to know is the true cost of the changing rooms. Perhaps you could ask officers of the council to prepare a report on the cost of the provision of the changing rooms minus any revenues received from the football league. We need to know if Council Tax payers are getting good value from this.

I think that we have two key issues to consider.

Firstly, the antisocial behaviour, no-one wants that, especially when it is on your doorstep! You are, quite rightly, as our Councillor looking for ways that the Council can improve the situation. I appreciate that the Council have certain obligations, but so do the police. I know from previous posts that you are already consulting with them.
Secondly, the parking challenges. As the residents parking schemes get rolled out further and further, traffic needing to park gets pushed around. To me, it makes perfect sense to make the car park into paid for public parking. I think the parking is really an issue during the day (Monday to Friday) when pay and display could apply, leaving free parking at the weekend for the footballers and users of the park.

This would still leave the car park open and free at night and does not solve the antisocial behaviour, but my suggestion of CCTV would help and additional police patrols or access to the cameras would help. The Police have to take some responsibility, if not all the responsibility once the Council have taken all appropriate steps.

I would respectfully suggest that you adopt a more ‘commercial’ approach to the problem of parking inspectors. I am guessing that the issue here is cost. What you need to do is find a way of generating revenue to pay for it. I am sure that the finance officers at the council would be able to compute projected weekly revenues from the car park if it is used for pay and display on a Monday to Friday day time basis. This would all be additional revenue to the council and any business case could use this to fund towards the cost of visits to the car park by parking inspectors.

I think we need to understand the priorities of the issues and to leave things as they are to satisfy the needs of the football league isn’t, I don’t think, the top priority. If my suggestions were to be adopted and the football league pull out from using the playing fields as a result, it would be a great shame. Unfortunately, life is full of very difficult decisions, some of which may seem very unfair, particularly if you are a member of the football league or their supporters. What we need to consider is the wider strategic picture with the challenges of crime and much less public parking space once the new parking schemes start on Mount Pleasant, Neville Street and others.

As I said at the start of my post, I have nothing against football. In fact, football is very important for not only encouraging fitness, team sports and enjoyment of the game but also hugely important economically, we need a place to discover and encourage tomorrow’s professional players.

If it is agreed that this should be the way forward, it is a big piece of work to do, it will be difficult and take a lot of your time, but a scheme of this nature would make a real difference to those affected by the antisocial behaviour issues and the wider parking problem that will surface once the new street schemes are introduced.
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
8th March 2016 at 1:34PM, Edit: 8th March 2016 at 2:39PM by Serenity
Jenny Wrote:

So you can't give any specifics other than (paraphrasing) "The tories are for this, and all other parties are against it", and we are just to trust that?

Sorry, but I refuse to be one of those residents that just accept what politicians say on face value without asking them to back up their claims.

Sadly, politicians and the like have a reputation for being dishonest (note, I'm not saying that you're being dishonest), I'm just asking you to back up the statement that you have made, as it is a rather sweeping and general statement that appears on the surface to be political point scoring.

Why do see Oliver as a career politician Jenny. I see Oliver as a hard working councillor who's trying to do the best for the residents of Hazel Grove and Stockport.

He's the only councillor I've seen in a long time who takes the time to reply to all residents and constantly keeps you updated.

Now if we're taking about (non career politicains)councillors from the past mentioning no names but they both have the same surname then give me a career politician any day. But I definitely would say that Oliver is not one.
1 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
8th March 2016 at 2:18PM, Edit: 8th March 2016 at 3:17PM by Serenity
This is a free public recreational ground car park meant for recreational purposes for local people and not for out of town commuters wanting to use it as an overflow car park for the hospital,be it payed or otherwise.

It's not the footballers that are the problem but the goverment cut backs to the police force.

And CCTV cameras aren't much good unless they're backed up by on the ground security which all costs money.

BlueGrover
Forum Moderator

BlueGrover
8th March 2016 at 2:42PM
HGrover Wrote:

Oliver,

Thank you for your reply.

Before I set out my thoughts I want to be clear that I am not against the football teams using the playing fields and in an ideal world, we should do everything to encourage their use by providing changing facilities & parking. Unfortunately, there are conflicting priorities and most likely little if no money available.

It is interesting to know that car parking and changing rooms are a requirement of the football league that use the car park, but I don’t think that we should allow this to determine strategy. I think this is a ‘tail wagging the dog’ scenario.

What would be interesting to know is the true cost of the changing rooms. Perhaps you could ask officers of the council to prepare a report on the cost of the provision of the changing rooms minus any revenues received from the football league. We need to know if Council Tax payers are getting good value from this.

I think that we have two key issues to consider.

Firstly, the antisocial behaviour, no-one wants that, especially when it is on your doorstep! You are, quite rightly, as our Councillor looking for ways that the Council can improve the situation. I appreciate that the Council have certain obligations, but so do the police. I know from previous posts that you are already consulting with them.
Secondly, the parking challenges. As the residents parking schemes get rolled out further and further, traffic needing to park gets pushed around. To me, it makes perfect sense to make the car park into paid for public parking. I think the parking is really an issue during the day (Monday to Friday) when pay and display could apply, leaving free parking at the weekend for the footballers and users of the park.

This would still leave the car park open and free at night and does not solve the antisocial behaviour, but my suggestion of CCTV would help and additional police patrols or access to the cameras would help. The Police have to take some responsibility, if not all the responsibility once the Council have taken all appropriate steps.

I would respectfully suggest that you adopt a more ‘commercial’ approach to the problem of parking inspectors. I am guessing that the issue here is cost. What you need to do is find a way of generating revenue to pay for it. I am sure that the finance officers at the council would be able to compute projected weekly revenues from the car park if it is used for pay and display on a Monday to Friday day time basis. This would all be additional revenue to the council and any business case could use this to fund towards the cost of visits to the car park by parking inspectors.

I think we need to understand the priorities of the issues and to leave things as they are to satisfy the needs of the football league isn’t, I don’t think, the top priority. If my suggestions were to be adopted and the football league pull out from using the playing fields as a result, it would be a great shame. Unfortunately, life is full of very difficult decisions, some of which may seem very unfair, particularly if you are a member of the football league or their supporters. What we need to consider is the wider strategic picture with the challenges of crime and much less public parking space once the new parking schemes start on Mount Pleasant, Neville Street and others.

As I said at the start of my post, I have nothing against football. In fact, football is very important for not only encouraging fitness, team sports and enjoyment of the game but also hugely important economically, we need a place to discover and encourage tomorrow’s professional players.

If it is agreed that this should be the way forward, it is a big piece of work to do, it will be difficult and take a lot of your time, but a scheme of this nature would make a real difference to those affected by the antisocial behaviour issues and the wider parking problem that will surface once the new street schemes are introduced.
] A unbelievable post. The stench of NIMBY is coming from my screen.
Local football teams pay thousands of pounds every year to SMBC for the right to play on Green Lane, use the changing facilities and park there.
If your model is adopted where do you suggest these teams play and change? Do they get changed in cars? Do they go home full of mud and shower at home?
I don't believe for one second that you want football to continue at this venue. The footballers are not the cause of the ASB, it's a police issue.
HGrover
Villager

HGrover
8th March 2016 at 3:11PM
Serenity Wrote:

This is a free public recreational ground car park meant for recreational purposes for local people and not for out of town commuters wanting to use it as an overflow car park for the hospital,be it payed or otherwise.
We're already having to pay the price to be able to park on the road where we live so what next, pay to use our recreational facilities.

Serenity - You make excellent points regarding the parking issues.

The challenges for parking locally are only going to worsen in time and this is simply down to growth, there is little that can be done, but we can be prepared and have sound strategic plans in place.

In an ideal world, the parking would remain free for everyone to enjoy the recreational facilities. Unfortunately, circumstances dictate otherwise.

Oliver is rightly trying to resolve the antisocial behaviour problems and his proposed solution is to only make the car park available at weekends when matches are being played. I was trying to offer a solution that would make the car park more accessible. Unfortunately, the days of free parking whether it be for leisure, retail or commercial use are pretty much gone now.

The hospital will no doubt continue to grow and the parking problems will probably become worse. At least if the car park did become pay and display the revenues would be into the council coffers.
HGrover
Villager

HGrover
8th March 2016 at 3:29PM
BlueGrover Wrote:

A unbelievable post. The stench of NIMBY is coming from my screen.
Local football teams pay thousands of pounds every year to SMBC for the right to play on Green Lane, use the changing facilities and park there.
If your model is adopted where do you suggest these teams play and change? Do they get changed in cars? Do they go home full of mud and shower at home?
I don't believe for one second that you want football to continue at this venue. The footballers are not the cause of the ASB, it's a police issue.

Bluegrover – thank you for your comments.

I can assure you that you have me completely misjudged.

I have lived here, very close to the changing rooms for 30 years and have no desire to see them removed, I was simply offering an opinion on what could be done.

What is very interesting is your comment on how much is actually paid by the local football teams to SMBC. That really sheds a completely different light on the matter. Do you have any figures for what is paid to the council to use the facilities, I think that it is important for everyone to understand all sides of the debate.

I didn’t at any point infer that the footballers cause any antisocial behaviour and I do agree with you that it is a police issue, but SMBC do have to meet certain obligations, which is what Oliver is attempting to do, I think.

If, as you have alluded to, that the changing rooms are well used and generate revenue, then it is indeed wrong to consider removing them. As we continue the debate, I am sure that new information will surface and that will help to inform the eventual solution.

In closing, please be assured, I have nothing against football whatsoever and long may it continue on the playing fields at Green Lane.
<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >>

Part of..