Green Lane Car Park

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >>

OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
Green Lane Car Park
26th November 2015 at 8:33PM
Hi All

To anyone who lives on or around Green Lane - please can you get in contact with me if you have experienced issues with anti-social behaviour on the car park near the park.

I am currently discussing possible solutions with officers to combat the problems.

Either email on cllr.oliver.johnstone@stockport.gov.uk or call on 07445927593.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
Re: Green Lane Car Park
27th November 2015 at 12:17PM, Edit: 27th November 2015 at 12:19PM by Serenity
OliverJohnstone Wrote:

Hi All

To anyone who lives on or around Green Lane - please can you get in contact with me if you have experienced issues with anti-social behaviour on the car park near the park.

I am currently discussing possible solutions with officers to combat the problems.

Whose been complaining Oliver? Why do you need the information. Please can you elaborate.

And what exactly do you mean by anti-social behaviour? Parking - litter - drug taking - drinking - graffiti.
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
27th November 2015 at 12:49PM
I have received reports of drugs being dealt and taken, music from cars being played late at night on the car park and so on.

I am currently discussing with Council officers on how we can best deal with these issues as it is clearly not fair on local residents.
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
27th November 2015 at 2:52PM
OliverJohnstone Wrote:

I have received reports of drugs being dealt and taken, music from cars being played late at night on the car park and so on.

I am currently discussing with Council officers on how we can best deal with these issues as it is clearly not fair on local residents.

It would help solve a few problems if the car park became a barrier car park Oliver with improved lighting - and closed at night.

I'd like to see it become a pay and display, because personally I'm sick and tired of the litter that constantly being produced from inconsiderate hospital staff parking in the car park (often all day) and just throwing their litter into the nearby bushes, because their just to lazy to get out of there warm cars and put their litter in the bin.

A few years back there was talk about introducing a barrier/pay and display - it was around the same time that there was talk about Mount Pleasant getting parking for residents only and turning the whole area into a residents only parking zone - but unfortunately we're still waiting for that as well.

To be fair Oliver it not just the park that's got the problem the whole area needs looking at. There's issues with drug being taken in nearby gardens and entries, even St Peters church had a problem with drugs being taken in their garden not so long ago and the same with the laurel shrubs outside ASDA in the entry. As for music being played at night from cars that's probably from the taxi's that park around here at night waiting for fares from the local supermarkets.
1 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
30th November 2015 at 11:32PM
Sorry for the delay in responding Serenity.

The barrier option is one being considered but there are some issues that that will not solve alone. It will also mean that parking issues on roads such as Grenville (where permit parking is in place) could become exacerbated with the loss of non-permit spaces from the car park. Whilst the benefits of a barrier are clear, the above must be considered too.

Regarding permit parking on other roads, it is certainly being worked on at the moment by my erstwhile colleague, Cllr Lewis-Booth. One of many schemes currently being investigated or rolled out at the moment.

HGrover
Villager

HGrover
1st December 2015 at 2:04PM
Oliver,

Are you looking at the future of the changing rooms at the Green Lane car park? I haven't seen them used for a long time now and they must be costing the council money to maintain. Earlier this year I reported some damage to the roof of the building after a storm and this was subsequently repaired, but must have cost a fair amount as roof repairs are not cheap. Perhaps the building would be best demolished to remove the on-going cost burden on the council?

I live very close to this car park and I was completely unaware of a drug problem. I have seen young adults in the area, particularly during the summer months, and they seemed to be just congregating with friends but I have never been aware of any trouble. They could be more considerate with litter, but the people parking in the car park do not set a good example to the younger generation.

It would be a shame to lose this parking area as it gets used throughout the football season by the various football teams that use the playing fields at weekends.

If there is a problem with drug taking and anti-social behaviour, this is a job for the Police. Pressure needs to be applied to GMP - they will only listen to those that shout the loudest and are tenacious in their approach. The council can assist by perhaps improving the lighting and possibly adding CCTV (if this is a council responsibility).

If there is a barrier to restrict parking at certain times, this comes with it's own set of problems such as who is responsible for opening/closing. If it is an electrically operated system, this again adds future cost for maintenance and servicing. If a pay and display is an option, the removal of the changing rooms and an extension to the parking area, may help to make a better business case to maximise revenues.

Good luck sorting it all out, I must admit I was surprised to learn of the drug problem on my doorstep!
1 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
1st December 2015 at 6:53PM
OliverJohnstone Wrote:

Hi All

Oliver shouldn't you really be discussing any possible solutions with the residents as well. I'd hate to think that we might lose these recreational facilities' so that the hospital can gain a bigger car park for their staff.
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
1st December 2015 at 8:08PM
Absolutely yes, we are talking to residents about this.
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
2nd December 2015 at 7:50AM, Edit: 2nd December 2015 at 7:51AM by Serenity
OliverJohnstone Wrote:

Absolutely yes, we are talking to residents about this.

Might I ask how and when Oliver. Are you only in talks with those residents who have lodged the complaint with you? I live very close to the park and knew nothing about these concerns, other than what I have read on here. And as such would have found it impossible to have any input into the outcome.

I agree that if there is a problem it needs to be tackling by the appropriate department, but I would hate to see the council lose sight of the parks sole purpose (as a recreational facility)in its pursuit to resolve this problem. Knowing the council the next thing they'll do to try to resolve the problem is to cut down all the bushes and the trees in the name of trying to tackle ASB. Probably saying well we can see it much better now.

So if possible Oliver I would be very interested to be kept in touch with any future discussions and proposals for this park.
slight-return
Villager

slight-return
4th December 2015 at 8:06PM, Edit: 4th December 2015 at 8:11PM by slight-return
Hi, as a resident of the road for over 5 years, I have seen the hut and car park rise, fall and rise again in terms of anti-social behavior, which includes drug dealing and drug taking, drinking, graffiti, criminal damage and littering. There has been an increase in 17 year olds in cars dealing drugs and driving at speed/skidding in the car park + playing loud music. There has also been some fights with large numbers of youths which have lead to the police being called. The changing rooms seem to be the meeting place as the youths think they are safe/hidden from view, but anyone walking dogs or with children see's them. They have pulled guttering off climbing on the roof, tried to pull panels off it and set fires. The police/PCSO's occasionally visit but seem powerless to move people on/don't get out of there cars. There is drug paraphernalia around both the hut and the playground, including cannabis bags, hippy crack and occasional needles + broken beer bottles. There is no lighting around the hut or playground, I am not sure illumination would make it less or more attractive as somewhere they can shelter from the elements. I think actual measures to stop anti-social behavior is needed, such as patrols.

The facilities are rarely used by the teams playing, as most are changed ahead of the game/arrive in kits and not many use it after the game. The car park is accessible 24/7 and unlike all other council car parks in the area is available to park at no cost and open 24/7 which I think increases the anti-social behavior.

Happy to discuss more, if you wish to contact me.
<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >>

Part of..