A Suburb in Stockport

10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Grave Yard on chapel street

elephant
Villager

elephant
Grave Yard on chapel street
18th March 2016 at 2:00AM
Who knows anything about the graves being excavated in old norweb depo yard on chapel street Apparently there are approx 150 bodies to be removed and a load more left in placeand grassed over when the new houses go up. I cant find anything about the original chapel which stood here. The foundationds have been uncovered and lots of graves close by. there are even some coffin remains where te ground was dry.They are bagging the bones up.Can any one stread any light onthe chapel or how old the graves will be
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
TwistedBanana
Townsperson

TwistedBanana
Re: Grave Yard on chapel street
18th March 2016 at 2:09PM
Wasn't this the backend of the graveyard for the church that once stood on Commercial Road? I could be wrong but for some reason reason I have always assumed that
elephant
Villager

elephant
18th March 2016 at 2:56PM
There was a chapel next to mill where mand s is now but to far away from chapel street. I presume it is called chapel sh]treet for this reason.I wondered if it was a forrunner of Methodist on Wesley/Chapel street.
A new church now but was an old victorian on site before and maybe a former chapel further down
Expert
Villager

Expert
20th March 2016 at 9:40PM
The graveyard belonged to the methodist church (actually it's predecessor) on the corner of Chapel Street and Wesley Street. The large, flat roofed, office/industrial building on Chapel Street, next door to the graveyard, occupies the site of the previous church/Sunday school.

I din't know they were digging the thing up and they're probably exhuming some of my ancestors!

Part of..