Topic Options: Subscribe Subscribe Share This Post
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn MySpace Digg
Reddit StumbleUpon Delicious Google Yahoo

TallPaul
Townsperson

TallPaul
Recommendations..
19th February 2012 at 5:20PM
Not had a good chippy tea in ages, anybody got any recommendations?
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Quote Report  
Robot69
Citizen

Robot69
Re: Recommendations..
19th February 2012 at 7:46PM
Went to the Boulivard on Friday and it wasn't great. Fish had a smooth batter to it and the fish was over cooked - perhaps cooked at a too lower temperature ? Chips weren't much better.

Its still probably the 'best' one in the grove.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
19th February 2012 at 8:40PM
Wongs in Great Moor is absolutely superb. It's a Chinese Chippy but don't be fooled they do first class fish and chips.

Fiveways Fisheries is not too shabby either in my opinion!
Limecat
Banned
20th February 2012 at 12:23AM
The one smack bang over the road from the Soldier Dick pub in Furness Vale (think New Mills!).

It has some weird opening times as it deals with people who generally like to fornicate with their relatives but if you catch it when it is open it is by a country mile the best chippy that I have ever encountered.

It's called something strange like the 'Princess somethingorother...'

Honestly. It's the nuts.

Unrelated but I also like AEC Shanghai in Stockport. Go in on a Monday or Wednesday and take up their deal, then pay for a large serving of egg fried rice and you walk out with a carrier bag half full with Chinese! Beef curry, chicken in ginger and garlic, young chow chow mein, beef in green pepper and blackbean sauce, large egg fried rice all for just over 14. Bargain. That's just what I choose but you can pick any 4 from a choice of 32 and then buy the large egg fried rice as an extra.
Robot69
Citizen

Robot69
20th February 2012 at 10:30AM
OliverJohnstone Wrote:

Fiveways Fisheries is not too shabby either in my opinion!

The Fiveways has to be the worst in the area. God only knows how it has won an award - only entry!

Its not just the quality of what they serve - usually soggy - but the quality of the staff. There has been a number of times where they have taken my order, taken my money then when they come to put together the food they have to ask again - "yes, its still fish and chips!"
Coleman
Area Admin

Coleman
20th February 2012 at 11:18AM
Just goes to show how opinions differ!

Staff have always been good when i have been in and i've never had bad food!

To be honest since Marina's closed many years ago, there are no truly excellent chippy's locally!
TwistedBanana
Townsperson

TwistedBanana
20th February 2012 at 12:45PM
The one in the middle of the Grove (think its called The Village)now do the best chips around in my opinion, can't comment on their fish as im a steak pudding man, but the last few times ive had chips from there they were bang on.

And for once i will agree with OJ on something, Wongs chippy always did crackin chips and their gravy is really good although a little different with a bit of Soy in it. Got to admit though, its about 10 years since ive been.
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
20th February 2012 at 12:57PM
Tut twistedbanana you say you agree with me as if it's a bad thing ;)

That new one - Adam's Plaice (name check) is also not that bad.

Wong's all the way if I had to choose just one.
deano
Drifter
20th February 2012 at 1:06PM
omg not the chippy thread again?? come on lock this one down there is page on page of chippy stuff...
Debbieh
Villager

Debbieh
21st February 2012 at 12:49PM
Nothing wrong with talking about chips constantly. Only problem with Wongs is, that he doesnt open till 8pm 6 nights a week...... but by far the best chips and gravy IN THE WORLD!!! and the other problem is its in Great Moor even though he lives up Clarenden Rd..... if only he had bought the Valley chippey and opened at teatime I wouldnt need to pray for a lottery win every week!!!
There were several appreciation sites for his chips and gravy on Facebook

Part of..