A Suburb in Stockport

10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Fiveways? Where is the 5th Way?

Riojasue
Idler

Riojasue
Fiveways? Where is the 5th Way?
19th October 2012 at 8:04PM
My hubby & I have just moved to Hazel Grove and everytime we drive past Fiveways we wonder where the original fifth road was!! I have googled it but can't find any history of that area.

Please let me know what you know.

Thanks
Sue 😊
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Tyrawhitt
Townsperson

Tyrawhitt
Re: Fiveways? Where is the 5th Way?
19th October 2012 at 10:00PM
It does exist. Originally, Cavendish Road exited onto the junction on the Dean Lane side of the Fiveways Pub. In building the little row of shops on Dean Lane at the junction on the Fiveways Pub side, Cavendish Road was turned into Dean Lane where it is today.
Tyrawhitt
Townsperson

Tyrawhitt
19th October 2012 at 10:04PM, Edit: 27th October 2012 at 3:57PM by Tyrawhitt
This the junction before the new shops & buildings went up.

Fiveways before the new shopping parade
HG-21
Banned
26th October 2012 at 5:52PM
There is a sign on the outside the pub which explains this. There have always been 4 main ways (I'm not sure on the cavendish thing.)

The pub is the 5th way - giving travelers another option.
BlueGrover
Forum Moderator

BlueGrover
27th October 2012 at 9:29AM
HG-21 Wrote:

There is a sign on the outside the pub which explains this. There have always been 4 main ways (I'm not sure on the cavendish thing.)

The pub is the 5th way - giving travelers another option.
Take option six, walk past.
RichT
Townsperson

RichT
27th October 2012 at 2:13PM
I have seen an airel photo taken before Cavendish road was laid and the pub was already built.
The unusual shape of the pub may have had something to do with the name.
Tyrawhitt
Townsperson

Tyrawhitt
27th October 2012 at 3:51PM, Edit: 27th October 2012 at 11:45PM by Tyrawhitt
I think you will find that 1940's aerial shot was just before the area development was to take place so the Fiveways when built, knew it would be five ways onto the junction not four ways.   The pub was built in 1939 and the war will have most likely delayed the rest of the planned development. My detail A-Z street level - semi ordnance survey featuring map is dated 1938 and shows the whole development planned. Not the only part delayed by WWII in the area on my maps.

The junction was suppose to have a little roundabout offset on the Macc. Road in the Macc - Hazel Grove direction lane. Just where the bus stop parking layby is today.

Macclesfield Road - Hazel Grove Photo:

View of Macclesfield Road c.1948 taken from the entrance to the Fiveways Hotel. In the immediate foreground (on the left) is Cavendish Road which used to connect directly to Macclesfield Road before the hotel. Combined with Mill Lane, Dean Lane, Macclesfield Road and Cavendish Road is why the area is known as "The Fiveways". Cavendish Road was later rerouted to join Dean Lane and the Fiveways Parade of shops built in the 1960s.

Why Fiveways