A Suburb in Stockport

10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

eye sores

Belvoir
Townsperson

Belvoir
eye sores
16th February 2015 at 2:27PM
There are a few buildings/shops in Hazel Grove that could do with smartening up!
I'll make a start on the shop next to the memorial gardens I believe its now something to do with computers, why does it look such a mess? the second window looks like a tip!
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
jlservices
Newcomer

jlservices
Re: eye sores
9th March 2015 at 1:10PM
Hi Belvoir,

Thanks for comment pointing out our shop...As you will know the building had been empty for some time as Peter Lowe before we purchased the property and it did look an eye sore...we bought this building 14 months ago which includes 3 shops and a flat above. Within this time we have done an awful lot to make it look smarter other than the middle shop which your referring too but as we are a small family business and are very busy and have small children I'm sure you will understand its not always easy to fit the time in. At the beginning of the year we decided that we would start on the shop you are referring to as a tip and will be refurbishing this soon. We have printed posters as we are looking to Let this out and I asked the window cleaner to clean the windows so that the posters could go up and he mentioned your message on the forum so I thought I would let you know that we are in the process of refurbishing this shop.
Thanks
1 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
BlackCat
Villager

BlackCat
10th March 2015 at 11:48AM
How very decent of you to respond, good luck with the business.
BlackCat
Villager

BlackCat
10th March 2015 at 11:54AM
The Woodman, The Cock, but I would be surprised if Robinsons bothered responding considering how long it took them to clean up The Grove Inn. In fact, they didn't clean it up, they sold it and relied on someone else to sort it out.
glenandem
Forum Moderator

glenandem
11th March 2015 at 11:49AM
The grove inn isnt really a success though is it as all they've done is knock it down and leave a skip full of rubbish and rubble there!!!
Anyone know what's going on with that, I thought some fresh new shops were to be built but it's been a while now since it was knocked down and left?
cooper120
Villager

cooper120
15th March 2015 at 1:59PM
The whole of Hazel Grove is filthy, but it's a losing battle. With the amount of traffic if a building was cleaned/painted it would just be the same in a year.
glenandem
Forum Moderator

glenandem
16th March 2015 at 10:07AM
To be fair you are right in that aspect, I live in the a6 heading to high lane and I clean my windows every other day as I'm a window cleaner lol and within hours they're shocking again more so this time of year when the gritters out but there is a fair few shops that need a good tidy up along the a6 by I think hazel grove will always be seen as a town most cars just drive through whereas a village/town like Poynton etc is a picturesque place to stroll about, who would want to walk up and down the a6 with all the stinking traffic!!
We're quite lucky that we do have some nice little bars and restaraunts like cockadoodlemoo and the curry houses etc although maybe 1-2 many lol and not forgetting the Italians and how the owners of benvenuti's redid the place up and zuri across the rd!!
The chippy across rd from mcd's
We've had fiveways redone up although I do miss the football there with the stinking degrading toilets.
Lots of positives and it's only a few shops here and there, some of the pubs and the old grove inn waste ground that are making things look real bad!
There's a lot of good in hazel grove main shops when u think about it
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
16th March 2015 at 11:58AM, Edit: 16th March 2015 at 12:08PM by Serenity
I Can't really agree that because the A6 is so busy with traffic that's the reason why the buildings are not being looking after. I know you can't turn the clocks back 25 years ago to long before Sainsbury opened up its golden gates and Hazel Grove still had the feel that you were shopping in a village with everything from the green grocers to the village post office. Back then all the shops has pride in their appearance and were maintained to look nice. I don't think it's the dust from the A6 that's the problem.
cooper120
Villager

cooper120
16th March 2015 at 4:43PM
I am no means old, but have lived in the Grove all my life. Unfortunately I've never seen it as a village.
I think it has it's nice areas away from the A6 but generally it isn't an attractive place to live.

Obviously there is a lot of anti sainsburys talk on here, but even the old lithopak building wasn't exactly a pretty sight. It gets better up torkington, down chester road, bramhall moor lane and past the bulls head. The core of the village though is a bit dire.

I assume it's the landlords responsibility to look after their property, if the money isn't there they can't.
Out of interest what is above the newsagent and shops opposite the memorial garden? Are they used?

Part of..