Eu referendum.

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >>

Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
Re: Eu referendum.
30th April 2016 at 6:29PM
slim Wrote:

If we leave it's going to be a long costly difficult road a head while we try to negotiate trade agreements with various country's .
Also the agreements we make with EU country's will inevitably include free passage for there citizens in to the uk .

Are you for leaving or staying slim.

As for negotiating trade agreements remember they need us more than we need them as we import more than we export.So the longer negotiations take the more it will cost them as well Slim.

I still think that eventually Turkey will become part of the EU and like you said slim, with it will come a free passage for their citizens to the UK. I'm really not sure that our resources can stand much more.

Yes there's uncertainty ahead, but any change brings that.

But what's the option staying within a unchangeable EU.and getting more of the same.

Just ask yourself the question, if the prime minister can't get the EU to change what next..
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Goggins
30th April 2016 at 10:04PM
Serenity Wrote:

As for negotiating trade agreements remember they need us more than we need them as we import more than we export.
UK exports to the rest of the EU represent about 13% of our GDP whereas the rest of the EU's exports to us represent about 3% of their GDP. Any reduction in trade would impact UK jobs more than it would impact rEU jobs. "They need us" is a myth.
slim
Townsperson

slim
1st May 2016 at 6:41AM
Info like that Goggins is gold and needs to be out there for all to see .
It seems that the out campaign think the American president was laying it on thick about a trade deal between the two country's ?
That's a very dangerous acertion to make .
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
1st May 2016 at 8:07AM, Edit: 1st May 2016 at 8:21AM by Serenity
slim Wrote:

Info like that Goggins is gold and needs to be out there for all to see .
It seems that the out campaign think the American president was laying it on thick about a trade deal between the two country's ?
That's a very dangerous acertion to make .

Slim since this thread opened I've been looking around the Internet for some information that
would help me decide one way or the other. But unfortunately all the reports and statistics I've found are so conflicting they really didn't help much.

So I've taken the time to read and engage in this thread and to try to understand both sides of the EU argument. But that not helped much either.

What really worries me somewhat is that whilst statistics play a role in this debate they can't really be relied on or trusted as they naturally change constantly anyway.

So personally I'm going to vote with my heart and what I see going on around me all the time, such as our local nhs stretched to breaking point, our local schools not being able to cope because of to many pupils and not enough school places,

Add to that a near than useless border control due to the heavy burden put on it by the freedom of movement system within the EU, and a what i see as a lack of negotiable engagement within the EU, proven by David Camerons last failed attempt to negotiate on behalf of Britian.

I just think that staying in the EU isn't offering the good deal it once offered Britain when we first signed the agreement many years ago.

I suppose you could probably now say that we never really totally engaged with the eu by not adopting the currency (thankfully).

So now to cling on hopelessly to a what to me seems like a failing system that's not up for change seems daft to me. Its not just about the risk of being totally run by the EU and as such risk losing our identity and strengh as a nation, and the right to govern our own country, but also about losing our right to protect ourselves by being able to control our borders effectively, something that I can't see us being able to do whilst we remain within the EU.

The Freedom of movement within the EU on our resources to me has become unsustainable, and set unfortunately to get worse. We cant build houses fast enough now. We're running out of brown spaces to build on, So what next start building on our green spaces. Even with all the houses we can possibly build our finicial resources and the infrastructure such as the nhs just can't cope.

So in my view slim the negatives now far outway the positives of remaining within the EU.

But that's just my personal opinion view on the matter slim. I'm sure I'll get more statics hauled at me telling me why I'm wrong.

You've still not said slim which way your going to vote. Are you going with the statistics are what you see and hear around you. The choice is yours slim.
Pedestrian
Villager

Pedestrian
1st May 2016 at 12:43PM
Well said Serenity
Goggins
1st May 2016 at 8:44PM
Serenity Wrote:

whilst statistics play a role in this debate they can't really be relied on or trusted as they naturally change constantly anyway.
It's alarming that you've found this to be the case - could you give an example?
Serenity Wrote:

So personally I'm going to vote with my heart and what I see going on around me all the time, such as our local nhs stretched to breaking point, our local schools not being able to cope because of to many pupils and not enough school places,
Are you certain that these are consequences of EU membership? Could NHS difficulties be caused by an aging population and funding that isn't growing with the per-person costs? If we had zero immigration would that definitely fix the problem? The under 16 population has waxed and waned many times and we've always coped before. Current numbers are not unprecedented so how is it that EU membership is preventing us from adapting?
Serenity Wrote:

Add to that a near than useless border control due to the heavy burden put on it by the freedom of movement system within the EU,
It's not clear how you feel it is useless? Are there long queues? Are there unstaffed ports and airports?
Serenity Wrote:

We're running out of brown spaces to build on, So what next start building on our green spaces.
"Government figures show that the amount of brownfield land becoming available for re-development is far outstripping the rate at which it is being used and there is enough available for 1.5 million new homes."Campaign to Protect Rural England, 2012
Serenity Wrote:

Are you going with the statistics are what you see and hear around you.
What do you see around you? It's really hard to try to put your mind at ease about our membership when it's not really clear what you concerns are. You've said that it means we are "unable to decide on our own laws" and that "we [will] end up with no rights left at all" but you've not been able to give any examples of laws we can't make or rights we are losing. You've mentioned "the big question of protecting our borders" without saying what the problem is or how you think leaving the EU would fix this.
Pedestrian
Villager

Pedestrian
2nd May 2016 at 1:55PM
Excuse me for butting in here Goggins but you asked Serenity " If we had zero immigration would that definitely fix the problem?". When has anyone ever suggested "Zero immigration"?
Goggins
2nd May 2016 at 4:01PM
Pedestrian Wrote:

Excuse me for butting in here Goggins but you asked Serenity " If we had zero immigration would that definitely fix the problem?". When has anyone ever suggested "Zero immigration"?
Nobody has but that's part of the problem - phrases such as "defend out borders" or "control our own borders" (which, as a non-Schengen area country we already do) are used without any explanation of what this means. I have asked "In what way do you want them protected? Is it about stopping everyone from moving here to live? To holiday here?" already but, so far, nobody's explained it to me - could you?
stukaville
Villager

stukaville
2nd May 2016 at 4:52PM, Edit: 2nd May 2016 at 4:53PM by stukaville
I'll just leave this here.

What TTIP really stands for..
1 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
stukaville
Villager

stukaville