A Suburb in Stockport

10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

electric trains

yetty
Villager

yetty
electric trains
18th April 2016 at 4:10PM
what happened to the electric trains that used to terminate at the grove?It is surprising that no one has complained about the diesel trains that stand for ages with their engines running right next to the kiddies play area on Green lane park,especially after all the fuss about diesel cars of late.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
Re: electric trains
18th April 2016 at 6:15PM
The problem for a long time has been that the Hazel Grove to Manchester line is electrified whereas the Buxton to Hazel Grove line is not. I imagine the electric trains were probably re-assigned to somewhere down south and we likely got there old diesel stock in return.

However, on a more positive note, the electrification of the Buxton to Hazel Grove section is being talked about as a priority for the investment following the devolution package. With a new operator in Arriva taking over the Northern franchise, we could see significant change.
yetty
Villager

yetty
18th April 2016 at 7:46PM
so in the meantime the children will have to put up with the pollution while they play in the park.
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
18th April 2016 at 7:52PM
I am not an expert in emissions so I do not know what the health impact has been or will be of their continue use but change cannot happen overnight, I am sure you will appreciate that. I should imagine that all will be fine given that this park has been where it is for some time and the diesel trains likewise in operation for a while.

If you have any further concerns, you can always report these to the environmental health team at the Council.

thealastairw
Villager

thealastairw
18th April 2016 at 10:32PM
The issue is timetabling through Piccadilly. The electrics (323s) terminated in Manchester. When the timetable was recast our route became the connection through to Bolton, which is currently unwired, hence the elderly diesels.
The timetable will changed again in the next few years as more wires are added and old trains are replaced, which should happen in 2019. In the meantime, the 323s have moved south - to Stoke and Wilmslow.
Jenny
Villager

Jenny
21st April 2016 at 12:04PM
thealastairw Wrote:

In the meantime, the 323s have moved south - to Stoke and Wilmslow.

They're moving even further south over the next couple of years, to Birmingham.

Part of..