Hazel Grove News

A Suburb in Stockport

10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Dog Racing

Research
Drifter
Dog Racing
26th April 2008 at 6:32PM
Was there ever a dog racing track in Hazel Grove?

I am trying to find out if HG ever had dog racing, where it was, was it popular, when it was established, ended. Why was it ended and as much info as possible.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give?

Thanks

D
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Quote Report  
Adora
Forum Moderator

Adora
Re: Dog Racing
27th April 2008 at 7:55AM
Hi

Joan Bakewell, in her recent piece for the little magazine called Inside Hazel Grove, talks of a greyhound racing track opposite a cinema called the Marcliff. Unfortunately, she doesn't say where it was located.

Hope somebody comes along who knows.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
BlueGrover
Forum Moderator

BlueGrover
27th April 2008 at 9:32AM
There was a dog track where Carpet World now stands. I don't remember it myself though, (too young)!
Is it not Marcliffe Industrial Estate opposite?
grover
Townsperson

grover
27th April 2008 at 10:06AM, Edit: 27th April 2008 at 10:07AM by grover
The Marcliff Cinema (Margaret and Clifford) was in the first building under the bridge on Macc Road on the right hand side. When the Cinema closed, a repertory company took over and it was called the Warwick. The greyhound race track was on the other side and was on the land (Carpet World etc) that stretched between the two bridges. Guess I am showing my age!
Research
Drifter
29th April 2008 at 6:27PM
Thanks for the info. Does anyone know its time line?
grover
Townsperson

grover
29th April 2008 at 8:12PM, Edit: 18th June 2013 at 4:18PM by AndySK
I have looked through all my H.G.books and find no mention of it. There is a small booklet called The Lighter Side of Hazel Grove published in 1986 on its 150th anniversary and on the back is a copy of an ad for the racetrack. It says: "Hazel Grove Greyhound Racing. Phone Great Moor 2509. Meetings" Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday at 8 pm. Sunday afternoon at 3:15 pm either enclosure. Price of Admission 9d. and 1/6 including Tax. Bookmakers in Each Enclosure. Electric Hare." Try the other website and leave a note for the two posters there. Enid has a good memory of Hazel Grove but I don't know the other person.
Interesting
Drifter
30th April 2008 at 6:30AM
I vaguely remember my ol Grandad talking about it with me. That was back in the 60s. I was too young to remember the details. I am interested to know more as well if anyone has any memories.
Frank Seymour
Drifter
14th January 2019 at 4:45PM
this post was some years ago. If you are still interested in details of the Greyhound track get in touch.
Frank Seymour
Alf Uckham
Drifter
30th January 2019 at 1:36PM
I'm new to the area and am very interested in dogging, can you give me some info. I'm glad to see there is a post on this subject. I generally go dogging with the missus and our miniature schnauser called Woofi Goldberg

Part of..