Hazel Grove News

A Suburb in Stockport

10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Do we really need more of the same

<< 1 2 3 4 5 >>

cllrkevinhogg
Hazel Grove Councillor

cllrkevinhogg
Re: Longer opening hours for ASDA WHY........
31st October 2014 at 12:08AM
By the way ASDA is open through the night anyway heating the store so it is warm for you repeat you at 8 am the shelf stackers work through the night for you to be able to take things off shelves, the deliveries to the store are made mostly at night so that you can get your shopping when you want it. It makes no difference to their bottom line people are in the store working anyway so their view is it might as well be open as closed.
I don't know the answer but the internet is open 24hrs and they compete or die. Shopping is changing and we repeat we are driving it.people want instant things these days different than when I was young ,if you ran out of anything you waited till morning. Now you have a choice. So what do you want me to do?
Grantthigs or refuse it you tell me, after all I represent you.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
31st October 2014 at 7:59AM, Edit: 31st October 2014 at 8:23AM by Serenity
cllrkevinhogg Wrote:

By the way ASDA is open through the night anyway heating the store so it is warm for you repeat you at 8 am the shelf stackers work through the night for you to be able to take things off shelves, the deliveries to the store are made mostly at night so that you can get your shopping when you want it. It makes no difference to their bottom line people are in the store working anyway so their view is it might as well be open as closed.
I don't know the answer but the internet is open 24hrs and they compete or die. Shopping is changing and we repeat we are driving it.people want instant things these days different than when I was young ,if you ran out of anything you waited till morning. Now you have a choice. So what do you want me to do?
Grantthigs or refuse it you tell me, after all I represent you.

I don’t see it quite as an argument Kevin more as differences of opinions. And as we know opinions tend to differ depending on what side of the fence (quite literally) you’re sat on - the side were the drunks are urinating on – or the side where you're conveniently shopping at any time day or night.

What ASDA are asking for Kevin is to extend their opening hours until 12pm instead of 11pm. They have posted notices outside for what I thought was for the purpose of contacting the council so that any interested party could object. But when I tried I was told that as I’m not a business and as this is classed as a minor variation to the closing times that I’m not allowed to object. But I did think that as an interested party that I was allowed object too. It’s all very very confusing.   

The reason I wanted to object is that since the store first opened it has increased its closing times from initially at a reasonable time (at least for the residents)of 9pm to 11pm and now it wants (no demands) that it should be allowed to stay open until 12pm. The reason you probably think that the store closes at 10pm Kevin is because the opening times outside the store clearly state that it closes at 9pm - more ASDA confusion. That was one of the reasons in the first place that we thought the later opening times were just a temporary measure. But now I see that you too seem to think that the store will next try to stay open for 24 hours which was one of the points I was trying to make in the first place.

I know I ramble on but I do feel that if you were to ask 100 people in the local area if they wanted ASDA to stay open longer - probably a percentage would say yes – simply because they’re not affected by the issues I speak of. But ask a 100 people living next door to ASDA their views about the longer opening times (which no one has) and I think you’d get a resounding no for the obvious reasons - but mainly the anti- social behaviour of some of this stores customers.

I’m not pointing the finger and saying that as a company its ASDA’s responsible what their customers get up to once they leave their store, but they do seem to turn a blind eye to some of the issues I’ve raised with them such as litter – by saying it’s not their problem once it’s blown over the boundary fence. Hence the passage way constantly littered with discarded ASDA litter.

So Kevin in answer to your question I would like to merely ask that yourself and the council do take into consideration some of the points I have raised, before they come to their final decision about extending the closing times of this particular ASDA store. Simply because this is not a store in the middle of some industrial estate it’s store that has lots of neighbours who live virtually over the garden wall and as such have a right to enjoy a bit of peace and quite at night like everyone else.

Thanks Kevin.
cooper120
Villager

cooper120
31st October 2014 at 1:20PM
ASda opening or closing whenever will not have any impact on
a) people urinating on the fence
b) taxi's using the land to wait for their next job
c) deliveries (they are mostly at night anyway)
d) noisy car doors - nobody will use the car park next to the houses when there is one much closer to the door

i think that you just don't want them to do it because you don't want them to do it. Tesco at the 5 ways is open until midnight, thats a petrol station. It used to be 24 hour when it was esso. That is closer to any houses than asda by metres.
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
31st October 2014 at 2:46PM, Edit: 31st October 2014 at 2:49PM by Serenity
cooper120 Wrote:

ASda opening or closing whenever will not have any impact on
a) people urinating on the fence -
b) taxi's using the land to wait for their next job
c) deliveries (they are mostly at night anyway)
d) noisy car doors - nobody will use the car park next to the houses when there is one much closer to the door

i think that you just don't want them to do it because you don't want them to do it. Tesco at the 5 ways is open until midnight, thats a petrol station. It used to be 24 hour when it was esso. That is closer to any houses than asda by metres.

Well you're entitled to your opinion Cooper120. But if you think that its just "because I don't want them to do it because I don't want them to do it" well what would be the point of complaining now. Why didn't I start complaining back when the store started to stay open until 11pm.

As for Tesco at the 5 ways do they serve alcohol until 11. And how do you know that the residents living near by aren't complaining as well. I think that most people faced with a store wanting to stay open longer and longer would eventually have something to say about it.

hellonpluto
Villager

hellonpluto
31st October 2014 at 4:03PM
Serenity Wrote:

What's the point of ASDA in the Grove staying open any later if trades as bad as you say hellonpluto - "car park usually deserted".

And as for "if I need any medicine in the middle of the night I won't have to trek to Tesco in Handforth" - Well I don't know where you're going in the middle of the night but it's not to Tesco at Handforth Dean as their pharmacy shuts at 9pm. Me thinks it's not the same type of medicine.....I take...

"Can't wait until ASDA opens 24/7" - Well if ASDA are set to cut the hours down of 280 of their 24 hours stores because their now finding that the 24 hour stores are not making any profit after 10pm - what's the point in longer opening times for ASDA in the Grove - just for a few late night shoppers looking for cheap bread.

Perhaps instead of looking to increase the stores hours the store should be looking to follow the leader and decrease them.

I m talking about normal medicine that you buy off the shelf. When you have baby who is sick in the middle of night and needs some medicine I would like to travel just up the road rather than doing a 30 minute round trip to handforth. Trust me I've been to tesco handforth at 3 or 4am many times.

You need to get out of the dark ages. 24 hour shopping is where its at nowadays. Not everyone works during the day (i do work during the day) but some folk have probably thought 24 hour supermarkets is a god send. If you have a 24 hour supermarket on your door step then happy days.
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
31st October 2014 at 4:33PM
hellonpluto Wrote:

[You need to get out of the dark ages. 24 hour shopping is where its at nowadays.

Well if 24 hour shopping "is where its at nowadays" - why are ASDA shutting 280 of their 24 hour stores.
adzcorki
Villager

adzcorki
31st October 2014 at 7:39PM
All those saying 24 hours is the future,etc.

This is very true, for major city/town stores. The sainsburys in hazel grove maybe falls in this category due to its land mass; however the asda does not. It's car park is literally surrounded by terraced houses. For me it definitely falls into the 'local' variety. Leave the newly opened commercially-situated asda in Stockport be the late-hour alternative.
hellonpluto
Villager

hellonpluto
3rd November 2014 at 2:15PM
Serenity Wrote:

hellonpluto Wrote:

[You need to get out of the dark ages. 24 hour shopping is where its at nowadays.

Well if 24 hour shopping "is where its at nowadays" - why are ASDA shutting 280 of their 24 hour stores.

i dont know where you got 280 24 hour stores when they only have 216 stores that open 24 hours. They are stopping trading between midnight and 6am in 20 of the 24 hour stores. Asda have 580 stores nationwide.
Jenny
Villager

Jenny
3rd November 2014 at 8:39PM
Opening until midnight is a step in the right direction at least. Now we just need to get rid of those silly Sunday trading laws and have reasonable opening hours on a Sunday.
cllrkevinhogg
Hazel Grove Councillor

cllrkevinhogg
3rd November 2014 at 8:42PM
Some for some against, can't win either way. Planning laws will decide I suppose
<< 1 2 3 4 5 >>

Part of..