Hazel Grove News

A Suburb in Stockport

10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Do we really need more of the same

<< 1 2 3 4 5 >>

Norma_Stitts
Supervised

Norma_Stitts
Re: Longer opening hours for ASDA WHY........
28th October 2014 at 10:42PM, Edit: 28th October 2014 at 10:52PM by Norma_Stitts
Serenity Wrote:

I think unfortunately nearly every point I've tried to make Norma has been taken out of context by you or simply not understood. Perhaps that's my fault for not explaining clearly enough the points I was trying to make.
Let me clarify again. Yes taxi's do sit in the ASDA car park with their engines constantly running albeit that they are waiting for their next fare they're still running their engines when there parked up. And still pumping fumes into the adjacent houses.
Car do constantly bang doors shut late on at night which is not quite the same as your neighbour shutting his car door late on at night is it.
Traffic will increase - wait until the run up to Christmas.

As for scaremonger that's not true I'm merely stating the facts Norma. There are a lot more disgusting facts that I wouldn't put down in print on this website that happen as well which I have evidence to back up as a result of this store staying open late.

Its easy for you to sit in your ivory tower spouting off about the consumers rights. But what about the rights of people who live in that area aren't we allowed to have any rights anymore.

Just because times are changing Norma that doesn't mean that a store can just move into a residential area and take over. Surely there should be some consultation going on with the local community. Which obviously in this case there's not been.

It's ok having a 24/7 consumer culture as long as its not in you're backyard isn't it. However myself and lots of my neighbours where here long before ASDA was - what would you have us do Norma - just shut up and say nothing or perhaps just move on out.

I understood you completely the first time, I simply didn't agree with you.

So do you think Asda being open or not will affect the taxi drivers waiting on their next fare? I doubt it. I would point out, albeit intentionally pedantically, that by keeping the engine running keeps the catalytic converter at operating temperature thus lowering their emissions! An engine uses very, very little fuel on idle and EGR valves will mean emissions are very, very low. Some cars even run on 2 cylinders at idle.

So how is my neighbour shutting his door different from a shopper closing his? Does my neighbour park his car in an area devoid of atmosphere where sound doesn't travel? Do Asda shoppers all take a running jump at their car door and try to snap the hinges off as a personal challenge? I will put money on it my neighbours car is parked nearer to my house than an Asda shopper is parked to yours!

Asda didn't move into a residential area. They took over a store that was badly neglected. It was a Co-op, before that it was Shopping Giant if I remember correctly? It's been there for what, 25+ years? It's adjacent to one of the busiest roads in England. There was a huge factory opposite where Sainsburys now is.

I think you are grossly misrepresenting the facts.

The houses are near the A6, a train line, a pre-existing Supermarket, a hospital, numerous garages, pubs etc. It's hardly going to be quiet is it?

Set your expectations for the moon and you can always hope to reach the sky!

Oh, you talk about consultation but do you think businesses commit to increased hours/staff/operating costs/heating etc on a whim? Maybe, just maybe, the local people you claim to represent actually want the increased hours? I wouldn't be seen dead in Asda but if it was a shop I used, I'd be well happy.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
29th October 2014 at 7:11AM, Edit: 29th October 2014 at 7:24AM by Serenity
I can understand your comments Coleman. It’s a store and the issues I've mentioned you seem to feel are commonplace within any store car park. Add to that that the consumer needs longer more convenient hours in which to shop. But ask yourself where does it stop - All night opening hours for all the shops in the Grove as well, Kitty tells us that ALDIs have already applied to have their hours extended. What next..

But in this particular case I feel that more than just the needs of the shoppers that have to be taken into consideration. ASDA knew when it was first built that it was situated so close to peoples homes.

We have tried to complain to the appropriate people on many occasions, first to ASDA itself and then to the council. But unfortunately for us wherever there are boundaries it’s hard to get either parties to take the responsibility for what’s going on.

However it’s easy to assume as a casual shopper that these issues aren’t really that bad and that I’m merely scaremonging as Norma put it. But how do you or Norma really know if you don’t live that near to the store. – A few car doors banging late on at night – A few car alarms going off at 10 or 11 oclock - A few drunks urinating up the side of your garden wall – A few super strong bright lights so strong they could probably guide a plane to land- all might seem like slight annoyances to you and as such should be merely overlooked in order to go with the times and what consumers want. But try living close by and then these so called minor annoyances wouldn’t be so easy to brush aside and ignore.

I’m not trying to say that it’s the stores fault but they do seem be of the opinion that what happens on the other side of the of ASDAs fence is just not their problem or fault. Which I suppose you could say is fair enough. But every action as we know it has a re-action and it’s the negative knock on effect that one side of the fence has to the rest of the area.

Try clearing up after the late night shoppers with bags full of cans of booze sit in nearby passages - leaving behind them not just their cans for the residents to clean up. But remember Coleman whilst these gardens and passage ways might be just a few feet away from the ASDA boundary it’s seen by ASDA as over the fence so it’s nothing to do with them.

Add all these issues together and special circumstances and I think you can appreciate why the residents are not happy that ASDA 1. Even had their hours extending in the first place from 9pm to 11pm without anyone considering or consulting with the local residents. And 2. Why does ASDA now want or need to extend their closing hours until 12pm.
glenandem
Forum Moderator

glenandem
29th October 2014 at 7:26AM
I thought asda had done a lot of the residents a favour closing that old entrance off down that side St off bramhall moor lane, it might be even more staggering traffic on the a6 but I thought a lot of the residents would have been happy now the back roads are slightly less busy?
Maybe you should campaign for a big fence or wall to drown out any noise or something?
Wasn't there something on here a while ago about the lights as well shining in somones home?
sam39
Villager

sam39
29th October 2014 at 10:39AM
Well Neville Street was blocked to through traffic which has made that area behind ASDA much quieter but caused inconvenience to many others (who have to suffer traffic noise themselves).
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
29th October 2014 at 1:47PM
So it would appear that the local residents should have a voice after all.

5.06. the Licensing Act
states that the authority must consult the chief
police officer for the area, the fire authority and
such persons as the authority considers
representative of holders of premises licences,
club premises certificates, personal licences
and local residents. In reality,
some licensing authorities do not consult widely
and practitioners have stated that as a result,
licensing statements can be too narrowly
defined and not representative of the views and
needs of the local community.

5.08. The Licensing Act 2003 allows local
residents to raise concerns regarding new
licence applications or existing licensed
premises. Local residents are classified as
interested parties within the Act, and as such
are able to make relevant representations to
licensing authorities about the impact of licensed
premises on the promotion of the licensing
objectives in their area. Relevant representations
are considered in the determination of new
licence applications and may lead to reviews
of existing licences. .
glenandem
Forum Moderator

glenandem
29th October 2014 at 10:29PM
I wouldn't worry about that, stovkport council are good are bending rules to suit themselves and the big companies who grease they're palms!!
They like to slip things through without notifying locals, seems to happen all too often from what I've read.
hellonpluto
Villager

hellonpluto
30th October 2014 at 2:54PM
Its great that Asda are staying open till 11pm. If i need to get a couple of things I wait until I've had my tea and bob up between 8 and 9pm. There is normally hardly any traffic on the road and the car park is usually deserted! I once went in about 10.40pm and they were selling loaves of bread for 5p LOL :)

Cant wait for mcrags and asda to stay open until 12!! Hopefully asda will go 24 hour so I dont have to trek to tesco handforth if I need some medicine in the middle of the night.
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
30th October 2014 at 3:57PM, Edit: 30th October 2014 at 4:03PM by Serenity
What's the point of ASDA in the Grove staying open any later if trades as bad as you say hellonpluto - "car park usually deserted".

And as for "if I need any medicine in the middle of the night I won't have to trek to Tesco in Handforth" - Well I don't know where you're going in the middle of the night but it's not to Tesco at Handforth Dean as their pharmacy shuts at 9pm. Me thinks it's not the same type of medicine.....I take...

"Can't wait until ASDA opens 24/7" - Well if ASDA are set to cut the hours down of 280 of their 24 hours stores because their now finding that the 24 hour stores are not making any profit after 10pm - what's the point in longer opening times for ASDA in the Grove - just for a few late night shoppers looking for cheap bread.

Perhaps instead of looking to increase the stores hours the store should be looking to follow the leader and decrease them.

Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
30th October 2014 at 5:00PM
Norma_Stitts Wrote:

[/QUOTE]

Oh, you talk about consultation but do you think businesses commit to increased hours/staff/operating costs/heating etc on a whim? Maybe, just maybe, the local people you claim to represent actually want the increased hours? I wouldn't be seen dead in Asda but if it was a shop I used, I'd be well happy.[/QUOTE]

In answer Norma

"Ultimately, a decision on operating hours is about the store’s bottom line. By aligning staffing and operational needs with corporate sales and productivity goals, stores can benefit from demand-driven, cost-effective schedules. Historical trends should be used to create realistic operating plans to prevent stores being open during the majority of unprofitable hours. Metrics including sales, transactions, customers served, and units sold should be analyzed to determine the best operating schedule for each store. It appears that retail giant Wal-Mart has done their due diligence, and despite losing some late night customers reduce their 24X7 operation schedules in various markets, makes sense for their bottom line"

What do you think ASDA's historical trend for sales after 9pm is Norma ......ummmm let me think..

cllrkevinhogg
Hazel Grove Councillor

cllrkevinhogg
30th October 2014 at 11:29PM
Well I am trying very hard to stay out of this, because as mayor I am supposed to stay out of politics and be apolitical. This row however makes me mad as far as I am aware asda closes at 10 pm and I shop there. What is the proposal planning no or give me some clue where you have this from.
<< 1 2 3 4 5 >>

Part of..