Hazel Grove News

A Suburb in Stockport

10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Do we really need more of the same

<< 1 2 3 4 5 >>

Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
Re: Longer opening hours for ASDA WHY........
28th October 2014 at 8:04AM
Goggins Wrote:

If longer opening hours means some daytime shoppers switch to late night shopping then daytime traffic levels on the A6 will be lowered. It would also mean that hardworking people working unsociable shifts will be able to fit in their shopping more easily.

Anyone visiting at that hour will, most likely, be parking near the store entrance so the additional noise (above and beyond that coming from the A6 itself, with cars revving to move off from traffic lights) should be minimal.

Yes the points that you raised are correct that longer opening times will bring in more traffic and more noise, hence our objection.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Coleman
Forum Moderator

Coleman
28th October 2014 at 12:24PM
To be totally honest i don't agree with your views on the traffic at all! As Norma has said, even if the store was full to the brim right up to the proposed 12Am close then the traffic would still be insignificant since the A6 gets pretty quite after 7/8!
I really wouldn't be trying to use that as part of your argument.

As for the other points you make, noise i can't imagine should be an issue never when i have been to that store have i heard anyone shouting in the car park during day light hours, there is no reason to expect that they will suddenly start to because its later! Car engines and doors are not loud so i struggle to believe that they could cause a disturbance to houses to the rear of the store, especially when most people visiting later on would be parked near the store.

Taxis i am afraid, if they are parking in the far reaches of the car park are waiting for jobs and will be there whether the stores open or not and if they are littering then rally the taxi firms should be doing something about it.

Bright lights? could be annoying i'll admit but do you not have blinds or curtains?

I get that you don't want the store open any later, i think most people living near by would agree, but honestly i think you have a very weak argument against it.
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
28th October 2014 at 1:18PM, Edit: 28th October 2014 at 1:20PM by Serenity
Norma_Stitts Wrote:

A lot of this thread is frankly scaremongering at best.

Increased traffic at 11pm? I challenge you to count the cars passing at that time and then reference it to the number of people using Asda at that time. Let's assume Asda doubled their trade at that time, it would be a fart in a hurricane to any traffic which isn't an issue at that time as it is.

Car doors closing? Oh please. Do you stick notes through any of your neighbours letterboxes who work nights?

The World is changing, 9-5 Monday to Friday working hours are the exception and not the norm, remember that next time you demand/desire something is delivered/fixed/provided outside of your working hours. Consumers drove the demand for these changes.

I also suspect your taxi issue is merely using an issue to fit an argument. I have never known anyone use a taxi to go shopping, I couldn't envisage someone paying to keep the meter going (when shopping at Asda?) whilst they shop. It's taxi drivers being somewhere central and convenient for their next call.

I think unfortunately nearly every point I've tried to make Norma has been taken out of context by you or simply not understood. Perhaps that's my fault for not explaining clearly enough the points I was trying to make.
Let me clarify again. Yes taxi's do sit in the ASDA car park with their engines constantly running albeit that they are waiting for their next fare they're still running their engines when there parked up. And still pumping fumes into the adjacent houses.
Car do constantly bang doors shut late on at night which is not quite the same as your neighbour shutting his car door late on at night is it.
Traffic will increase - wait until the run up to Christmas.

As for scaremonger that's not true I'm merely stating the facts Norma. There are a lot more disgusting facts that I wouldn't put down in print on this website that happen as well which I have evidence to back up as a result of this store staying open late.

Its easy for you to sit in your ivory tower spouting off about the consumers rights. But what about the rights of people who live in that area aren't we allowed to have any rights anymore.

Just because times are changing Norma that doesn't mean that a store can just move into a residential area and take over. Surely there should be some consultation going on with the local community. Which obviously in this case there's not been.

It's ok having a 24/7 consumer culture as long as its not in you're backyard isn't it. However myself and lots of my neighbours where here long before ASDA was - what would you have us do Norma - just shut up and say nothing or perhaps just move on out.

Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
28th October 2014 at 1:32PM
Coleman Wrote:

I get that you don't want the store open any later, i think most people living near by would agree, but honestly i think you have a very weak argument against it.

I'm not trying to score points Coleman or win any augments. I'm just fed up that a store that's so close to peoples homes can just up its hours to suit itself without any prior consultation with the residents. If as you say nothing much will change then tell me what is the point. Can't see ASDA staying open just for 1 or 2 passing customers. Whilst my points might be seen weak by yourself there still issues that we have to put up with. Complaints to the store falls on stony ground.
kitty
Villager

kitty
28th October 2014 at 2:25PM
I personally don't live near the Asda store. However I can see why local residents would be annoyed. If Asda had said when they first applied that they would one day want to open till midnight I doubt they would have been successful. Asda sell alcohol and I suspect late revellers wanting more on there way home would be the main group of users, most people who I know who work unsociable hours do online shopping.
adzcorki
Villager

adzcorki
28th October 2014 at 6:31PM
I've also witnessed some of the taxi drivers urinate in that entry beside the store.
Coleman
Forum Moderator

Coleman
28th October 2014 at 9:00PM
Like i said i totally understand why local residents would be against allowing Asda to extend their hours, i i lived there i wouldn't like it either.

I just don't see any strong argument against it, other than of course its not what the people living in the immediate vicinity want. It would be an irritation but it wont affect your house price, it wont cause excessive traffic, any noise it causes is likely to be well below what is considered nuisance levels, inconsiderate and disgusting taxi drivers will use the car park even if the store shut earlier and i cant see anyone agreeing that there is excessive a mounts of bright light coming from the store, certainly not through blinds or curtains.

Maybe the best course of action would be to try and tackle the one problem i think you have got good cause for complaint about, the taxi drivers!
slim
Townsperson

slim
28th October 2014 at 9:48PM
Closing a car door starting a car up or even just general speech carries a lot further at night than it does during the day .
Also does nobody think that the people that live adjacent to asda be allowed the same peace and quite that clearly the rest of you take for granted ?
kitty
Villager

kitty
28th October 2014 at 10:01PM
I think it will attract noisy people coming out of pubs wanting food and drink and needing the loo, which I might add Asda do not have. There are enough late night opening supermarkets around for night workers. The powers that be suggest that there's a problem drinking culture in this country and I would suggest that Asda would sell more alcoholic beverages than vegetables after 10pm . I think that's an excellent reason not to extend their trading hours.
Coleman
Forum Moderator

Coleman
28th October 2014 at 10:21PM
Slim, my point is not that there wont be some noise, just that talking and doors closing are not loud noises (no matter how much they may travel at night) and wouldn't be enough noise to be classed as a nuisance. I know the SPl that is considered nuisance noise it surprisingly high.

As for Kityys point about alcohol sales, even if that is the case i don't see how it would constitute a reason to refuse the store extended hours. We are supposed to be able to make our own decisions are we not and licencing laws allow alcohol to be sold 24hrs don't they?
Why would any Alcohol sold by this branch of asda between certain hours be somehow worse than any other time?

I also have to say, how many people buy alcohol form a supermarket for immediate consumption? Because Asda like all supermarkets don't display their beer, cider, wine, etc in refrigerated condition. Who's drinking warm beer or wine?

I accept some hard core alchys might stagger in late at night for a warm special brew or two after they have been turfed out of the pub, but really how many people do you think it'll be? I guarantee they are not the customers that would make the extra hour of trading worth while for Asda!
<< 1 2 3 4 5 >>

Part of..