Do we really need more of the same

<< 1 2 3 4 5 >>

Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
Do we really need more of the same
26th October 2014 at 4:27PM, Edit: 7th November 2014 at 3:12PM by Serenity
Well I can probably work out why

However am I the only person in Hazel Grove that objects to ASDA wanting to extend their closing times from what was initially 8pm then somehow it jumped to 11pm and now the store wants to stay open until 12 o'clock each day.

Whilst this might be seen as good business practise by ASDA I don't see this move to up its closing times as showing any consideration for the needs of its neighbours. Would anyone reading this thread want neighbours who stayed up until 12 banging car doors and throwing there litter all over the place.

This is not a store that is set in some industrial complex but a store that is just a few feet away from family homes (virtually back to back). Homes where people are trying to get on with their day to day living. That have families that would like to go to bed at night and not be disturbed by car doors constantly being slammed shut, shopping trollies being squealed across concrete car park floors, taxi drivers leaving engines running (just a few feet away) whilst they sit and wait for late night shoppers fares. This is a store that is meant to behave like a good neighbour should with some care and consideration.

Somehow it seemed to pass me by how the stores closing times crept up from initially closing at 8pm (which it still shows on their opening times bill board) to suddenly closing at 11pm without any local consultation. Soon it will probably be a case of why don't we just let the store stay open all night long. It's just not fair. What are the council thinking of? How can they not be objecting to such plans when the store is right next door to rows and rows of homes. Why are the council not considering the needs of the residents first. Do they not think that we need to sleep as well?

Whilst I for one might be posting this thread for perhaps what could be seen as somewhat selfish reasons (reasonable behave at a reasonable time)and I'm sure that most of you reading this thread might not think that you'll be effected by the later opening times but somehow indirectly you will be if you live in the Grove - as we all know that longer opening hours all add up to more traffic more disruption. And lets face it there's no such thing a quite store.

So please if you do take the time to read this thread and you feel that you to would like to object please email William or Oliver to make your objections known. Objections need to be in by the 4th November.

0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
kitty
Villager

kitty
Re: Longer opening hours for ASDA WHY........
27th October 2014 at 9:29AM

Thought you may like to know that Aldi and McDonalds have both also applied for longer opening hours. Aldi till 10pm and Mcdonalds till 12 midnight. Just seen this on Stockport planning applications
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
27th October 2014 at 10:52AM, Edit: 27th October 2014 at 10:55AM by Serenity
Thanks for letting me know Kitty, very much appreciated. This is why we need to put in our objections now before the A6 and surrounding areas becomes as busy at night as they are in the day.

I've just been checking online as to what constitutes nuisance noise and I would say that there are a few things that I would consider would apply to ASDA and its customers. Especially after the hour of 11pm and before 7am when new regulations come into play.

Take for instance merely on the nuisance noise level alone:-
Delivery vans left with their engine running in the early hours of the morning.
Car and burglar alarms going off in the day (and now after 11pm).
Deliberate banging / raised voices. How are ASDA going to ensure that their customers leave quietly and don't bang their car doors.

These are but a few listed anti social noise issues that the council are meant to protect the public from.

Also I would like to know if the council are prepared to adopt the relevant noise control provisions by having out-of-hours noise patrols who can investigate alleged night-time noise nuisances in person if these new times are permitted.

I wouldn't mind if these hours were being extended temporarily - say perhaps leading up to Christmas but permanently - NO. Think of the extra traffic at night.

I'm really sorry that I sound like someone with a bee in my bonnet - but lets face it wouldn't these issues be reasonable complaints if it was your neighbour committing them.
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
27th October 2014 at 4:23PM
Hi all just to let you know - whilst I need to watch what I say on this issue.

I have read through your views and comments and taken them on board.
Norma_Stitts
Supervised

Norma_Stitts
27th October 2014 at 9:47PM
A lot of this thread is frankly scaremongering at best.

Increased traffic at 11pm? I challenge you to count the cars passing at that time and then reference it to the number of people using Asda at that time. Let's assume Asda doubled their trade at that time, it would be a fart in a hurricane to any traffic which isn't an issue at that time as it is.

Car doors closing? Oh please. Do you stick notes through any of your neighbours letterboxes who work nights?

The World is changing, 9-5 Monday to Friday working hours are the exception and not the norm, remember that next time you demand/desire something is delivered/fixed/provided outside of your working hours. Consumers drove the demand for these changes.

I also suspect your taxi issue is merely using an issue to fit an argument. I have never known anyone use a taxi to go shopping, I couldn't envisage someone paying to keep the meter going (when shopping at Asda?) whilst they shop. It's taxi drivers being somewhere central and convenient for their next call.
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
28th October 2014 at 6:58AM, Edit: 28th October 2014 at 7:11AM by Serenity
Thanks Oliver. Sorry to sound so negative. I know that ASDA has to look for ways to survive in todays completive climate and that the council has to support local business be they big or small. But ASDA looking to open for another hour seems ludicrous to me. Why even go to the trouble. That is unless ASDA are slowly trying to edge their hours up in the hope that no one will object and they will eventually be allowed to open all night.

Which is the big worry for the residents who live literally next door to this store. As you can appreciate all we've got to block the sound - litter - bright security lights and car engine pollution is a small open fence not really fit for purpose. It's not just these issues alone that effect the neighbourhood but there's so many other negative knock on effects that result from late night opening hours.

Also I'm not sure why the local residents were never consulted initially. Surely it should have been a two way consultation when ASDA initially wanted to increase their opening hours but everyone I've spoken to knew nothing and thought that it was just temporary measure as the bill board hours were still displaying the closing time of 9pm. So you can appreciate Oliver why we feel very concerned now.

I know that in society the needs of the few seem to have to be put aside for the wants of the majority. But in this case its more about fundamental quality of life issues that are being badly effected here. And as such I think something needs to be done to support the residents as well as ASDA.
Goggins
28th October 2014 at 7:09AM
If longer opening hours means some daytime shoppers switch to late night shopping then daytime traffic levels on the A6 will be lowered. It would also mean that hardworking people working unsociable shifts will be able to fit in their shopping more easily.

Anyone visiting at that hour will, most likely, be parking near the store entrance so the additional noise (above and beyond that coming from the A6 itself, with cars revving to move off from traffic lights) should be minimal.
1 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
28th October 2014 at 7:17AM
I appreciate what your saying Goggins but isn't 11pm not late enough for you to shop. Please remember that this is a store that comes back to back with local residents. Even the new ASDA super store that's just been built in Reddish that right in the middle of an industrial estate shuts at 10pm.
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
28th October 2014 at 7:20AM
Goggins Wrote:

cars revving to move off from traffic lights) should be minimal.

Thanks for that Goggins. Are we meant to be happy about that.
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
28th October 2014 at 7:35AM
Goggins Wrote:

longer opening hours means some daytime shoppers switch to late night shopping

This is the residents concerns Goggins that this ASDA is trying to push up it hours until it can stay open all night for shoppers such as yourself. Which is ok for you. But surely you can also appreciate that the residents who bought their homes when the co-op hours of closing was 5pm are not to happy. ASDA was aware that this store was so close to homes so surely our needs above the shoppers needs should be considered first.

And what does that mean for the residents further afield in the Grove - instead of a break in the traffic and pollution at night we're meant to now start putting up with it all night as well.
<< 1 2 3 4 5 >>

Part of..