24th February 2012 at 12:28PM
You can`t have it its minneeee!
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
yetty
Villager

yetty
Re: Cyclists and pavements.
24th February 2012 at 12:56PM
it is not just pavements,the council in its wisdom have put cycle lanes in the parks,this would be fine if the adult cyclists didn't think they could go full pelt around the paths with no regard to young children,elderly people and dogs.
Raod Angel
Drifter
24th February 2012 at 1:27PM
Once saw a cyclist go through a 30mph Gatso and get flashed! lol.

Once they get going, there's no stopping em.
TallPaul
Townsperson

TallPaul
24th February 2012 at 1:58PM
Recently driving from Bramhall to Cheadle Hulme I was behind some cyclists riding 3 abreast!! They were however genuinely keeping a steady 30-35mph!!!

I followed them for about 5 miles and felt I couldnt overtake due to the impressiveness!
TPRanger
Drifter
25th February 2012 at 1:12PM, Edit: 25th February 2012 at 4:36PM by Administrator
http://www.ctc.org.uk/resources/Campaigns/1110_Cyclists-behaviour-and-law__4M__brf_rev_.pdf

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/businessandpartners/traffic-note-8-cycling-red-lights.pdf

Both the above documents show you how much of a risk cyclists actually are. Both are full referenced and reviewed.

87% of cyclists were found to be obeying traffic signals. Only 200 collisions with cyclists on pedestrians are reported annually. Only 1 person dies a year.

You have to understand where the real risks are coming from and why some cyclists are afraid to ride in the road:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15975720

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/bike-blog/2012/feb/20/cycling-unsafe-uk-urban-areas-poll explains why people *wont* cycle.

Surely, to put it bluntly, the issue here is the motoring culture we have in the UK and the knock on effect it is having on everyone else.

Cyclists are not "tree huggers", they are certainly not the risk portrayed on here. Unfortunately drivers have been proven to be - *that* is why motorists pay insurance, have to undergo a test, are licensed by legal compulsion.

How do you think potential cyclists are going to think when they read this rubbish on here? Are they going to feel safe, knowing that a number of people who should know better actively hate them?

I would kindly ask that people do some research on road safety issues. It affects us all, some of us have lost good friends due to lack of awareness.
1 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Coleman
Forum Moderator

Coleman
25th February 2012 at 5:29PM
When I have the time, i'll have a read.

But I will say that I doubt it will change my view of cyclists. You see I've formed my opinion of cyclists based on 12 years of driving.

In those years I've rarely seen them ever follow the rules of the road, I have however seen them cause several accidents, I have also seen them run red lights hundreds of time as I have seen them ride 2 or more abreast!

Plus even if they weren't a nuisance they should still have insurance and training, as road users with the potential to cause injures and/or damage they have a responsibility to cover any damages!
1 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Raod Angel
Drifter
25th February 2012 at 6:51PM
Coleman Wrote:

But I will say that I doubt it will change my view of cyclists. You see I've formed my opinion of cyclists based on 12 years of driving.

50 years of driving here and I wouldn't alter my views already expressed on here, and its been no different in the last 35 years as far as I can remember, since the motor car became generally available to all and cycling more common during work commutes. A lot don't have rear view mirrors so don't know you are there.

Coleman Wrote:

In those years I've rarely seen them ever follow the rules of the road, I have however seen them cause several accidents, .

Had two on two separate crossing with lights just carry on as though the red light was green, not even looking. (Plus a horse & buggy ignored a red light.) And that is just in last 2 days.

Lack of Traffic Cops around and enforcement.

Coleman Wrote:

I have also seen them run red lights hundreds of time as I have seen them ride 2 or more abreast! .

2 abreast is permitted, single file if narrow road or main road (ie. A6 Torkington Road/Buxton Rd/Macc Rd.)

Coleman Wrote:

Plus even if they weren't a nuisance they should still have insurance and training, as road users with the potential to cause injures and/or damage they have a responsibility to cover any damages!

Totally agree. 100%. Might make them think then before doing the stupid things they do without warning.
And its even more needed given the speeds they are travelling at as said. Pushing 30mph is not slow so injuryies will happen.
Expert
Drifter
26th February 2012 at 11:41AM
It seems to have become popular to "slag off" cyclists for disobeying traffic signs, traffic lights etc. What motorists (and yes, I am a motorist) tend to forget is that traffic lights, signs etc. are only necessary to control motor vehicles. If we didn't have motor vehicles we wouldn't need such things.
Raod Angel
Drifter
26th February 2012 at 4:46PM
Drifter Wrote:

It seems to have become popular to "slag off" cyclists for disobeying traffic signs, traffic lights etc. What motorists (and yes, I am a motorist) tend to forget is that traffic lights, signs etc. are only necessary to control motor vehicles. If we didn't have motor vehicles we wouldn't need such things.

Highway code - impression 2011 Rule 69 - Cyclist Section....
( http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069837 )

[b]"You MUST obey all traffic signs and traffic light signals."[/b]

Sweet & simple is it not!
And prosecutable in court.

Adds more weight to cyclist made to tow the line in paying to be on the road and have appropriate insurance like any other driver & vehicle has to. As said, at 30 mph, they are more that what it was years ago ambling along on a sedate push bike.

mcfc60
Drifter
27th February 2012 at 8:25AM
The cycle path in torky park is for cyclists.Not dogs,elderly and children,the path next to the cycle path is for this group.
<< 1 2 3 4 >>

Part of..