A Suburb in Stockport

10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Crossing Torkington Road

<< 1 2 >>

Adora
Drifter
Crossing Torkington Road
2nd May 2007 at 6:03PM
Hi, one of the biggest headaches for me is crossing Torkington Road to get across to the park etc. It's tricky enough down at the Bull's Head, even with the crossing they've put in there but further up, it's a nightmare, especially with young children, prams or elderly companions.

Is there a way of getting a crossing considered by the council does any one know?
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Quote Report  
charlie
Villager

charlie
Re: Crossing Torkington Road
3rd May 2007 at 5:42PM
i have to agree i have tried to cross this road at the junction with hazelwood road, with a young child & two dogs but even if people cannot get any further due to the lights they do not let you cross! We need a better crossing.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Adora
Drifter
14th May 2007 at 9:48AM
Bump - any ideas how you start the process of a getting a crossing - who deals with it, authorises it etc?

Adora
Drifter
14th May 2007 at 4:58PM
Am I wrong, or is their a crossing a couple of yards down the road, next to the Bulls Head?
Adora
Drifter
15th May 2007 at 7:31AM
Hi Guest

No you are not wrong. There IS a crossing down at the Bull's Head. It's just been 'improved'! I'm talking further up, where the park entrance is (more than a couple of yards - a 5 minute walk with kids and pram down to the Bull's head and a 5 minute walk back up again, just to get to where you started but on the other side). Go even further up, past the allotments, where many children need to cross to get to Torkington School and it's like a game of 'Chicken'! The cars and trucks come flying towards the bends and, indeed, flying round the bends and for children and the elderly, it's a nail biter of a chore just to cross!

Adora
Laura
Drifter
15th May 2007 at 3:12PM
I totally agree, trying to cross the road is terrible. I look forward to walking my dog with my baby in Torkington park, but the thought of crossing the road is a nightmare. So much so that if I don't feel up to running the gauntlet trying to cross the road, I drive to the park instead, which is ridiculous as I only live a 5 minute walk away, but at least then I know I will get to the park and back safely!! Ridiculous!
cllr kevin hogg
Drifter
18th May 2007 at 5:52AM
This has been mentioned on another site. I have taken notice and will be raising it with the highways dept. The location at Hazelwood road was surveyed some time ago and not enough people crossed there for a crossing to be installed though ther were plans for an island in the middle. A different location has been suggested at avondale rd and the tip your thoughts would be appreciated
regards Kevin
Julian Lewis-Booth
Drifter
19th May 2007 at 5:05AM
It does depend at what time of day any survey is taken.

It would also be useful to know by what criteria a decision on a crossing on Torkington Road would be taken.

It is all well and good talking about it being noted etc. If someone somewhere in the Council takes a decision that it is not warranted - I doubt you would be back quite so quickly to tell us that were not going to get a crossing.

Regards

Julian

GillB
Townsperson

GillB
19th May 2007 at 1:53PM, Edit: 19th May 2007 at 2:01PM by DrGill
I have to say, I personally find all this pathetic. I can not believe people want to install a crossing so close to another!

Is this some anti-car campaign? Get enough crossings so the cars will be stopping every 5 minutes making it quicker to get out and walk?

The only time I've ever seen people crossing at Hazelwood is when the Fair or Carnival is on, other than that its the odd guy (girl) with his (her) dog. Not only this but there is a crossing at Bulls Head, which was already mentioned. Adora, you say that this crossing is 5 minutes walk from the park entrance, do you mean the entrance for cars opposite Hazelwood? as I find that FAR to close for another crossing to be installed.

All that I see happening is, like any other crossings, the pedestrian public will just abuse it, if its not within 5 steps of where they wish to cross, they will not use it. Just look at the crossing by The Grove Inn, which was recently installed, people STILL cross half way between it and the Commercial Road crossing. I find it really pathetic when people cross outside outside the Bookies next the commercial road because their far to lazy to use the crossing.

I believe Torkington Road will be exactly the same, people will find it too much of a chore to cross Hazelwood to use the crossing.

And for people who are telling me to try crossing with children, pets or the elderly, isn't a couple of extra steps worth it for the safety of a crossing?

Although I know the road is a nightmare, whether your walking or in a car, but I feel Hazelwood is far to close, and if a crossing HAD to be installed I would opt for closer to the Tip, Avondale Road sounds a lot more reasonable than Hazelwood.
Adora
Drifter
19th May 2007 at 4:09PM
I think the idea is to look at a crossing higher up towards Avondale Ave, the Tip and the allotments.

Many children come from the end of Avondale Road (opp. allotments) and have to cross in order to get to Torkington Primary School.

Torky road has exactly one crossing, which is at the Bull's Head. There are no other crossings between that and Marple Road. 'Pathetic' is an interesting way to describe people wishing to cross a busy, dangerous road with children.

I'm a car driver. I don't see this discussion as part of an anti-car campaign. Parents want their children to walk to school for health reasons and to keep traffic off the road at rush hour. They are surely entitled to do so SAFELY.

Elderley people are entitled to cross busy roads safely.

People wish to barrow stuff to the tip without getting the car out. They should be able to do so safely.

People, including dog walkers, wish to cross from a high density, residential area to enjoy the park. They should be entitled to do so safely.

We're not talking about a "couple of extra steps" to the Bull's Head although it might feel that short a distance if you have only ever driven it.

Adora
GillB
Townsperson

GillB
20th May 2007 at 7:39AM, Edit: 20th May 2007 at 7:46AM by DrGill
No, Adora you missed my point. I agree, everyone should be able to go about their daily life safely. But what I disagree with is having a dozen crossings on one road because people are too lazy to use the ones already available.

I was under the impression that this thread was about Torkington Park and Hazelwood Road area, Your now shifting the argument further down the road, and if you had read my post you would see I spoke of Hazelwood road area which I feel is FAR too close.

If the discussion is not about this area, but about further down, for example the Tip and beyond then I fully agree and support a crossing to be installed.

Before we continue to debate this, I would be very interested as to where exactly you (and others) would like a crossing, as I haven't the faintest idea now.
<< 1 2 >>

Part of..