Commercial Road Traffic Issues

<< 1 2 >>

redlion
Newcomer

redlion
Commercial Road Traffic Issues
8th March 2016 at 1:24PM
Hi

Excuse me if this has been posted elsewhere but I want to ask if anyone knows what is being done, if anything, to address the traffic queues on Commercial Rd? Last weekend traffic was stacked back to Bosden Avenue at times which is just ridiculous. Traffic on Commercial Rd has got steadily worse as more & more traffic measures have been installed on the A6 e.g. traffic lights for Asda, & as traffic leaves Aldi & M&S. This can't continue & surely the council factored this in when granting permission to Sainsbury's, Asda, Aldi etc to open in the Grove? I'd be interested to know what local councillors have to say on this issue & how it's being addressed?
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
sparrow
Villager

sparrow
Re: Commercial Road Traffic Issues
9th March 2016 at 5:48PM
yes I was stuck in it but turned around and went a different way or it would have taken at least an hour, the problem is turning right out of commercial road on to the A6, cars fill the yellow box area and because of the Asda traffic lights only 2 or 3 cars can turn with each green light, its an awfully congested part of the A6, I guess Asda paid a lot of money to get their set of lights through planning!
glenandem
Forum Moderator

glenandem
9th March 2016 at 9:55PM
Doesn't help that as soon as you turn right you have the lights like you say but also a bus stop blocking one lane!
There's another bus stop literally 50 yards outside the pub isn't there😂
thealastairw
Villager

thealastairw
10th March 2016 at 7:45AM
Apart from the morning rush hour, which I blame on Pate & Levers 'loading zone',and Saturday afternoons it seems to flow quite well.
I suspect doing something to fix it would make matters worse before they got better.
Expert
Villager

Expert
11th March 2016 at 6:02PM, Edit: 11th March 2016 at 6:02PM by Expert
I'd agree, traffic on Commercial road is far worse than it was when I lived there but the first thing to bear in mind is that everyone stuck in a queue of traffic is actually part of the problem.
TwistedBanana
Townsperson

TwistedBanana
17th March 2016 at 10:22AM
redlion Wrote:

Hi

Excuse me if this has been posted elsewhere but I want to ask if anyone knows what is being done, if anything, to address the traffic queues on Commercial Rd? Last weekend traffic was stacked back to Bosden Avenue at times which is just ridiculous. Traffic on Commercial Rd has got steadily worse as more & more traffic measures have been installed on the A6 e.g. traffic lights for Asda, & as traffic leaves Aldi & M&S. This can't continue & surely the council factored this in when granting permission to Sainsbury's, Asda, Aldi etc to open in the Grove? I'd be interested to know what local councillors have to say on this issue & how it's being addressed?

Pal, you are delusional if you think that the council factored in the traffic situation when granting permission for these stores to open. I think you are muddling up the council with people who actually gave a damn about the area. The truth is that huge "environmental" bribes got Sainsburys the permission or should i say the permission to abuse the original permission they had been given originally. We are looking at an area that is having huge amounts of extra housing being built on its doorstep but no consideration for the transport infrastructure.

If another supermarket wanted to open tomorrow on the Royal Oak site fro example, there is little doubt in my mind that permission would be granted without a blink of an eye, just the noise of a few wallets opening.

Jenny
Villager

Jenny
17th March 2016 at 11:27AM
thealastairw Wrote:

Apart from the morning rush hour, which I blame on Pate & Levers 'loading zone',and Saturday afternoons it seems to flow quite well.
I suspect doing something to fix it would make matters worse before they got better.

Pate & Levers do not give a damn about the traffic. I know we're supposed to support local businesses and all that, but when a local business acts selfishly then they don't deserve my support.

Living in Hazel Street, Commercial Road is my biggest problem with Hazel Grove. If I need to get to the A6, I now head down Chapel Street and turn right there, which is surprisingly easy when traffic is busy (but really hard off peak), failing that I'll head down Bean Leach Road and Marple Road to head towards Stockport (which has it's own problems at rush hour)

Better still, when I can I get the bus or the train, since it's quicker than driving to most points along the A6.
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
17th March 2016 at 3:55PM
Apparently Jenny according to the lib Dems keeping in touch leaflet just pushed through the door as a result of the A6 Manchester Airport Relief road, there is a pot of money being set aside for mitigation of local traffic issues, such as traffic and parking issues in Hazel Grove. Any ideas anyone?
Jenny
Villager

Jenny
17th March 2016 at 3:59PM
Serenity Wrote:

Apparently Jenny according to the lib Dems keeping in touch leaflet just pushed through the door as a result of the A6 Manchester Airport Relief road, there is a pot of money being set aside for mitigation of local traffic issues, such as traffic and parking issues in Hazel Grove. Any ideas anyone?

I read about that a while ago, it wasn't a large amount of money, not enough to make a real difference at least.
TwistedBanana
Townsperson

TwistedBanana
17th March 2016 at 4:08PM
Serenity Wrote:

I would be interested to hear a reply on this from a Councillor - especially a Lib-Dem councillor who under Andrew Stunnell have to take the lion share of the blame for the lack of interest in Hazel Groves infrastructure while presiding over the building of many a supermarket. Then they had the bare faced cheek to show a picture of the afore mentioned Stunnell on a leaflet they delivered the day before the General Election, stood next to Brookside Garden Centre where the work on the SEMMS relief road had started, claiming "work on the Hazel grove Bypass has started thanks to the Lib Dems" which was just a out and out lie - most people know this isn't a Hazel Grove bypass and it is as just as likely to make the traffic worse as make it better, its one massive gamble, but it isn't and never was the long awaited bypass, the one thing Hazel grove needs more than anything else, the one thing that Stunnell promised and promised and never delivered before riding off into the sunset knighthood in hand.

I await a councillors answer on your question about a pot of money
<< 1 2 >>

Part of..